PDA

View Full Version : Golfing in Vegas in July...

LotsOfOuts69
06-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Is this even possible?? I've heard it can be upwards of 108 degrees in July in the middle of the day. Do people play night courses under lights or anything?

If anyone had been golfing in Vegas in the summer I would appriciate any info on what you did or wher you went. thanks alot.

--LoO

jakethebake
06-21-2005, 02:01 PM
...but it's a dryyyyyy heat. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

offTopic
06-21-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this even possible?? I've heard it can be upwards of 108 degrees in July in the middle of the day. Do people play night courses under lights or anything?

If anyone had been golfing in Vegas in the summer I would appriciate any info on what you did or wher you went. thanks alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some friends and I played Black Mountain several years ago in July. IIRC, it was under 110, so it wasn't as bad as it can get in LV, but if I had it to do over again, I'd go for a 7a tee time and try to be off the course by 11. The only two upsides I can think of for playing in the furnace is the courses should not be crowded, and the green fees (relatively speaking) will be pretty cheap.

The Callaway place south of Mandalay Bay has a little par-3 course that is/was lighted at night. Don't know about any other such places.

steeser
06-21-2005, 03:05 PM
I've done it before. By the end of the round I felt like my brain was boiling and I felt really stupid for a few hours. Otherwise, you can manage.

Guy Incognito
06-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Serious question, is the 110 dry heat actually worse than the 90/60% humidity heat? I used to play junior tournaments in south GA in August, hard to imagine anything being worse than that. I think 2 kids actually passed out on the course one year.

The worst thing is having your hands sweat so bad you can't even hold onto the club, but I was able to somewhat remedy that by having a wet towel covering my head between shots. It was brutal.

Shajen
06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Humid heat is way worse.

Hot in the desert is relative.

110 there feels better than 95 + 60% humidity here in the south.

HDPM
06-21-2005, 03:28 PM
no problem. At over maybe 115 it gets hot. Anything up to 110 is just fine IMO.

groo
06-21-2005, 06:14 PM
I don't play in Vegas much, but Phoenix is actually hotter and about as dry. Played yesterday on our first official 110 degree day of the year (actually hit 113 in the suburb I was in). Teed off at about 4:00....high temp tends to be about 3:30. It was ugly. I play afternoons in the summers here a lot, but I usually play alone. Since no one is on the course, I play in about 2 hrs and it's not too bad.When you are in a 4-some the waiting while others hit is the worst part.

Drink a lot of water (a gallon or more), gatorade (2-3 bottles, water alone doesn't quite do the trick), seek out shade at all possible moments, and hang a wet cold towel around your neck. Also, dump a cup of water over your head at every water jug. It'll look like you peed yourself, but since no one else is stupid enough to be on the course in those temps (well, except me), there will be minimal laughter.

Dynasty
06-21-2005, 06:17 PM
It's 107 right now and there's now way I would play golf in this heat.

You need to get an early morning tee off.

TripleH68
06-21-2005, 06:17 PM
I just played four rounds and at the risk of sounding like your mother...

Drink plenty of fluids, use sunblock and a good hat...and get a morning tee time.

If the heat does not get to you on the hottest of days where you live, it will not get to you in the desert either.

nolanfan34
06-21-2005, 06:48 PM
I just played on Sunday. I was hot, but honestly, I just drank some water, and I never really felt that bad. And I was even wearing my black 2+2 polo shirt.

Having a cart helps though. Walking would be insane.

BreakfastBurrito
06-21-2005, 07:02 PM
I played in Mesquite a few years ago in July. First day I teed off at 2pm, it was 120 degrees, and it wasn't that big of a deal. The next morning I got a 7:30a.m. tee time at Wolf Creek and it was very comfortable the entire time. It's a dry heat. I know it's a cliche but it's true.

offTopic
06-21-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The next morning I got a 7:30a.m. tee time at Wolf Creek...

[/ QUOTE ]

Love, love, love that course (even though it didn't love me back. /images/graemlins/blush.gif )

gunt
06-22-2005, 12:09 AM
it was about 106 degrees out here today... and humid. average temp in july is around 105... i'd make a tee time as early as possible in the morning, bring water and rent a cart.

LotsOfOuts69
06-22-2005, 01:17 AM
Thanks guys, 7am tee off and two riding carts it is then.....