PDA

View Full Version : some wsop questions

GrannyMae
06-21-2005, 01:56 PM
hiya,

i figure there are enough posters playing prelim events and PLENTY of vegas residents that read this forum, so here goes.

any help appreciated

TIA

1. how far from the guest rooms at the gold coast to the playing area at the rio? i walk with a cane for support (seriously), and am trying to figure out the distance.

2. can family get into the playing area?

3. for day one, what is the frequency and length of any breaks? any guesses how long the day 1's will be?

4. i have to get my paperwork at will call. can i pick it up on the 5th or 6th, or do you have to pick it up on your start date?

5. from airport to gold coast, can i assume that a cab versus a shuttle is easiest?

6. i know someone who got a seat assignment 5 days ago, and it was table 125. then someone i know got a seat assignment yesterday and it was 150 (i think). does this mean that there are likely 4500 paid? (150x10x3days). it would seem that if the first 3 people got table/seats 1,1 day 1a. 1,1 day 1b and 1,1 day 1c then the fact that they are giving seats for table 150 would indicate 4500 paid. anyone know if this is how they distribute?

7. anyone know if stars has purchased all those seats? i'm wondering if their 1,000++ players are in the total registered so far.

if you only know one answer, i'll take it.

thx again...

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/cleverman.gif

Joseph Busti
06-21-2005, 02:40 PM
1. I would say about a 5 minute walk from the Gold Coast to to the Rio front doors, then another 5-10 minutes to the Amazon room in the back.

2. Yes, though if you are reffering to kids/teenagers, I have no idea.

3. I think they break every 2 rounds for 15 minutes, and they also have an hour+ dinner break somewhere in there. The ME might be different in frequency though.

4. I dont know this one.

5. Cab is always easier if you dont mind spending the 15-20 bucks.

6. I will be surprised if they pay more than 750 spots if they hit the max of 6600 people. The magic number is usually close to top 10%.

7. No idea

I hope this helps.

Roswell
06-21-2005, 02:40 PM
1. it's right across the street, but the rio is huge so it's a good 15 minute walk. you can cab it and ask to be dropped at the convention center of the rio.

2. dunno

3. breaks are every 2 levels, so every 2 hours i think? unless levels are 90 minutes, then every three hours. and it's an annoyingly long hike to the bathrooms.

4. yes you can and should get it ahead of time

5. have to cab it

6. dunno

7. dunno

Kevmath
06-21-2005, 02:42 PM
The Main Event Day 1's will have 5 2 hour levels, with 15 minutes between each level and a dinner break after level 3. With the problems they've had with 1500+ wanting to use the bathroom at the same time, I'm sure it'll be bumped up a few minutes. Also assume that at least for Day 1a, it won't start at 12 noon.

snakehead
06-21-2005, 03:00 PM
1. at least 1/2 mile. suggestion: rent a car. it is cheap in vegas, you will save the cost of cabs to and from the airport, and you can have a family member drop you off at the convention entrance which is a short walk to the tournament area.

2. yes, but not children.

3. the levels are 2 hours. I think there will be a break at the end of each level. if there are 2000+ players, they will make the first break at least 20 minutes to accomodate for the lack of bathrooms. one hour dinner break around 6:00. with 2000+ players, day one could easily last 15-18 hours.

4. anytime.

5. see #1.

6. no. they are trying to make seat assignments random.

7. the online poker sites have reserved a certain number of seats, but do not register a player until that seat has been one in a sattelite.

8. stop worrying about all the details. just go play. and rent a car, cheapskate. you're playing for $7,000,000. should cost you less than $150/week.

snakehead
06-21-2005, 03:02 PM
they changed the start time to 11:00 for the me.

GrannyMae
06-21-2005, 03:48 PM

nh

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a0/angryrazz.gif

WLVRYN
06-21-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm a little worried that the horse I bought shares in is now stating that he/she needs a cane to get around and wants to know how close the bathrooms are. Should I buy insurance in case GrannyMae falls and breaks his/her hip on the way to the ME?

Just a little razzing to get your juices going Granny. Kick ass and take names (and send me my share when you win).

MicroBob
06-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Others have indicated that the tourney room is a pretty good hike from the Rio front doors so I'm expecting it to be fairly lengthy.

I'm staying at the Gold Coast as well my first week there until switching to the Treasure Island (the PokerStars hotel) on July 6.

6. I don't really know because I've never been there...but I just doubt that table number corresponds with number of players that are already registered. They are approximating the number of entries. If they do it based on how many are registered that it wouldn't be truly random....the later registrants would all be paired-up against each other. Which would mean you would have more direct buy-in's going against each other (since many of these will be buying in a day or two before I imagine).

I suspect they are using the same poker-tourney software that I've seen before.
When I played a tourney at tunica's gold strike last week I registered 2 or 3 hours before the event and then went to have dinner. I was assigned to table 6 but there's NO WAY they had 50+ players already signed-up when I registered. They were just estimating that they would get that many (the event had 66 players total).

If they get less than 6600 players then I suspect that all those who have been assigned to table 200 and so forth will just be combined to the lower-numbers before they even deal the first hand.

This is my theory of how they are doing it and I think it's a reasonable one....but, again, I'm just guessing.

Also - I'm kind of surprised that you know people that already got their seat-assignement for the main-event. Wow.

Maybe these are people who have registered in person??

GrannyMae
06-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Maybe these are people who have registered in person??

not sure what generates it, but i have my table/seat assignment already. i know mr. true paid for the seat 3 weeks ago and from what i understand the assignment is made as soon as the payment is received.

i would guess that your seat has been assigned, but they have not given it to you yet. if you email or call they will tell you.

MicroBob
06-21-2005, 04:52 PM
I posted on my blog a couple weeks ago that I had a dream that my assignment was Table 85, seat 8...and that Gus Hansen was in seat 10.

although in my dream Gus pulled a Phil Hellmuth-type no-show and just let his stack be blinded away for the first couple hours.

In the meanwhile, my 'seat 8' was actually to the immediate left of the dealer (what is normally seat 1) but it was labeled as 'seat 8' so I asked if this was correct and then sat down and immediately took in a couple decent sized pots in the first hour.

Later my limp-in got raised to 4x the BB by a guy across the table from me and I thought, "Oh crap...I forgot this was a no-limit tourney. I've been playing limit this whole time!"

It was a weird dream.
I'll be interested to see if I get table 85, seat 8 though.