PDA

View Full Version : Flop aggression from a coldcaller OOP

DMBFan23
06-21-2005, 01:20 PM
this dude was aggressive, I've been moved off a lot of hands that have missed.

anyone play the flop differently?

Party 5/10 6 max. I open in MP with 8 8, cold called by the button, BB also calls

Flop is K 4 3 no flush draw
BB checks, I lead, he raises, BB drops, I 3 bet, he caps, I puke

Girchuck
06-21-2005, 02:59 PM
KQs is a very popular cold-calling hand, so is TT

DMBFan23
06-21-2005, 03:13 PM
so you just call the flop? check call down? 3 bet and call a cap and check fold UI? fold to the cap? stop and go the turn?

Surfbullet
06-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Given that 56 is the only realistic drawing hand here, and that villain raised you and 1 other player, I'm folding the turn UI. Sucks though.

If he's aggressive enough to ram+jam draws or a hand like 77 then I might call down, but i'd have to have a good read that he'll overplay hands.

Surf

Surfbullet
06-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I think a turn stop-n-go is a nice play, because it makes you look like you're trying to get action with a monster, you stop free card plays by straight draws or other weird stuff, and you can fold to a raise there.

Surf

DMBFan23
06-21-2005, 03:15 PM
EDIT: you answered this as I was writing, so I deleted it.

GetThere1Time
06-21-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like this guy might raise a stop-n-go with a worse hand sometimes. If he's gonna jam DMB's face no matter what he has wouldn't b/c, c/c, c/c be a better line?

SomethingClever
06-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Against an aggressive player capable of bluffing, I'll call the cr and just call down. Let him bury himself.

Girchuck
06-21-2005, 03:25 PM
This is an aggressive fellow, and you got him to fold the third party, so calling down sounds fine. Check-raising this flop could be another alternative, if you believe that the third party is way ahead or way behind, and the villain is reliably aggressive.
3-betting punishes the villain's non-pair hands, and might cause him to fold his 6 out draw on the turn, but I want to understand just how aggressive this guy is before
3-betting. Can he be stopped by escalating aggression, or is he unstoppable? Keep in mind, being out of position, you'll get nothing for free.

DMBFan23
06-21-2005, 03:31 PM
good point about nothing being free. I probably should have called down after he raised BB out of the pot. as it was I folded to the cap. c/r would be good except I would never do it with a K or a set so I dont like to mess up my mojo like that, also I would rather have something like QQ because I there are just too many draws against my 88

TwoNiner
06-21-2005, 03:56 PM
I think the stop and go opens you up to folding way too much. He probably won't fold the turn if you lead and he's going to bet it anyways, so there really isn't a free card to worry about, just the matter of who is putting in the money. Calling down will also have better big game effects since he has been pushing you off hands.

Surfbullet
06-21-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like this guy might raise a stop-n-go with a worse hand sometimes. If he's gonna jam DMB's face no matter what he has wouldn't b/c, c/c, c/c be a better line?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely a consideration. DMBfan said that the guy was aggressive, not that he was a raising maniac - the turn stop-n-go is a pretty strong move by the PFR and often is hero looking to 3bet - if he raises us on the turn I think we can be pretty sure that he has a K or better.

The problem with calling down the whole way is even when he's pulling a stunt with something like QJ he's got 6 outs to beat us, so we'll end up losing many times anyway. As dmb said calling down would be much better with QQ - we need to give him a chance to fold his BS hands to save ourselves the pot.

Surf

sthief09
06-21-2005, 06:06 PM
I call down when he raises. headsup he's not taking a free card. they have middle pair a lot here. when he caps you can't call but you do have the best hand occasionally.

Surfbullet
06-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Upon further consideration I think calling down is a better plan.

Surf

tizim
06-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Well, the good thing about 3-betting the flop is that since this guy knows you fold a lot, he's likely to be taking a shot at you with worse hands, so I'd guess your equity is about 50%, maybe a little less. Thus, 3-betting the flop doesn't really cost you much, but it gives you a chance to make Villain to make a bad fold on the turn, if he's capable (higher PP's, overcards).

Then again, I want to get to showdown cheaply here and hate folding to this Villain when I have a very showdownable hand, so I'm not sure.

GetThere1Time
06-21-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thus, 3-betting the flop doesn't really cost you much, but it gives you a chance to make Villain to make a bad fold on the turn, if he's capable (higher PP's, overcards).

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the villian can cap it and have you make a bad fold on the turn.

tizim
06-21-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or the villian can cap it and have you make a bad fold on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a K on the board, you raised preflop, and you 3-bet the flop. Even if he loves taking shots at you, he's not going to cap-bluff, unless he wants to go really nuts with 56s, which is very unlikely.