PDA

View Full Version : Simple question about pocket pairs...

wiggs73
06-21-2005, 01:01 PM
I usually limp with pocket pairs JJ and lower the first 2 levels and play them for set / overpair value. In level 3, I also find myself limping 99 and lower, permitted that limping costs me less than 10% of my stack. Is this standard or do others feel I'm bleeding too many chips by doing this?

My thinking is that it provides a low-risk way to build a large stack early if I hit. If I find myself short stacked after 3 levels, it's not really that big of a deal anyway, I just have to go into push fold mode a bit early.

Discuss.

Sabrazack
06-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Im not a big fan of limping off 10% of my stack. I usually fold 99 here and might push TT+ with 10xBB.

youdnf
06-21-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im not a big fan of limping off 10% of my stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said if it cost him less then 10% of his stack. But i want to know what he does if it cost more then 10%, do you push or just fold?

wiggs73
06-21-2005, 03:13 PM
That depends largely on what the PP is and my position. I won't be pushing 22-55 pre-flop unless I'm getting quite desparate. If it's folded around to me in late position I would push 66-JJ, whereas in early position I would likely only be pushing 99-JJ if even that range. The point is, it's very situation-dependant.

I'm still interested in how others play these though. I feel confident there is nothing wrong with limping during the first and probably second level and playing for set value. However, I'm starting to feel that doing this during the 25-50 level is costing me too many chips. Maybe if I set up an example hand I'll get some more replies. I'll do that in another thread though; others, still feel free to respond to this if you have a more generic answer.

Bigwig
06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually limp with pocket pairs JJ and lower the first 2 levels and play them for set / overpair value. In level 3, I also find myself limping 99 and lower, permitted that limping costs me less than 10% of my stack. Is this standard or do others feel I'm bleeding too many chips by doing this?

My thinking is that it provides a low-risk way to build a large stack early if I hit. If I find myself short stacked after 3 levels, it's not really that big of a deal anyway, I just have to go into push fold mode a bit early.

Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your mistake is only specifying level to determine your play with pocket pairs. You also need to account for position.

Limping with JJ in very EP is just fine on the early levels. But if it's folded to you on the button and you limp--that's dumb.

There's a line that's crossed with all pocket pairs where you go past playing them for set value and enter into playing them for pair value. This line adjusts with stack size, blinds, bubble situations, and perhaps most importantly--position.

mlagoo
06-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Recently, especially at LAGgy tables, I've taken to playing small pocket pairs in the first two levels for as much as 2.5xBB (like, calling off that much). Especially if I am in a position to close or almost close the action.

My reasoning is just that.. they are so well disguised, and in the early levels, you are so likely to felt someone if you hit a set, because there are so many terrible players still sticking around early. And if you don't get their chips, someone else will. And we don't want that =/