PDA

View Full Version : Reading :::Knowledge v. Intellect

Maulik
06-21-2005, 10:22 AM
If you want knowledge, read The Economist.

now you try

Frequitude
06-21-2005, 10:48 AM
I don't get it.

Are you saying that The Economist is not intellectual?

Maulik
06-21-2005, 10:50 AM
it certainly is intellectual and stimulating for a writer, however I don't think you become smarter reading it as you might reading and understanding a Linear Algebra book.

wacki
06-21-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it certainly is intellectual and stimulating for a writer, however I don't think you become smarter reading it as you might reading and understanding a Linear Algebra book.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I disagree
2) 1-400 level Linear Algebra = not hard

Frequitude
06-21-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree because they are two completely different types of knowledge. One is mathematical and rule based, so it's easy to think that you're "getting smarter" because you can quantify what you've learned. But the other is a much more vague. There are no rules and step-by-step processes to current events, but you're certainly still getting smarter from reading about them.

I've been out of the country for a year, and I read the Economist weekly to keep up with what's going on in the world. I'd say I'm smarter for having done so, especially reading their big special topic "surveys" in the middle of each issue.

Edit: The best example of this was the survey on China last October or so. I learned TONS from that. Though I'm not sure if the European and North American issues are the same.

Frequitude
06-21-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

now you try

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still confused by what you're trying to say here... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Maulik
06-21-2005, 11:25 AM
What I'm trying to say is I don't think history or political events is wisdom is intellect. You are not going to find clever ways to solve a problem or ideas you can apply to a project you've been working on.

poker-penguin
06-21-2005, 12:15 PM
If you want to become more intelligent, read the art of war.

Were you going for something like that?

wmspringer
06-21-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to, but I decided it wasn't worth the money, although I liked the magazine otherwise.

So I pay $12 for a 3-year subscription to The Week instead :-)

Maulik
06-21-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to become more intelligent, read the art of war.

Were you going for something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

precisely! now let's get back on track /images/graemlins/cool.gif