PDA

View Full Version : Tight Game > Wired 3s > Fishy C/R

beset7
06-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Anybody play this differently? I played 15k of 1/2 6max last month so I may need to tune down my CO raises after a limper.

The blinds were... well.. tricky TAGS! A surprising find playing party 2/4. I'm wondering how many of you fold to the c/r and what your plan would be for the t/r if you did call. Then the river move of course.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>.

HajiShirazu
06-21-2005, 09:23 AM
I think this is probably fine against tricky TAG opponents. Not seeing a showdown with a pair on this board is totally wrong if your opponents have any play to them at all. I don't know about the river raise, because it seems to me like he either has a total bluff or has you beat, and a total bluff seems more likely here, but I guess ace high is a possible hand that he could have and would call with.

crunchy1
06-21-2005, 09:56 AM
If you're trying to fold out a better hand then why not 3-bet the flop or raise the turn. On the river he's only calling you with a better hand. The river raise is spewing.

Erik W
06-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Like it except river raise.
Most likley he have a low pair or some AT-AJ hand or so and believe you are on overs since it is most likely.

jskills
06-21-2005, 11:25 AM
River raise is a bit much.

mosta
06-21-2005, 03:12 PM
easy flop three-bet. he's raising you becasue he doesn't think you're bad enough to have a 7 or 2. let's try to get control back now, since we only have 33 after all. don't like the river raise. do you really think he's pushing no pair this hard? do you think he's going to call with no pair? or fold a pair?

beset7
06-21-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
easy flop three-bet. he's raising you becasue he doesn't think you're bad enough to have a 7 or 2. let's try to get control back now, since we only have 33 after all. don't like the river raise. do you really think he's pushing no pair this hard? do you think he's going to call with no pair? or fold a pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought at the time was that I was value betting as he was probably going to show down Ace-high (a somewhat arbitrary conclusion--I know. I just think he would have bet &gt; 3-bet the flop with anything decent as based on my play, and he was paying attention I'm sure, I would have raised the flop in this spot with A-high or maybe less if led out after my quasi-steal attempt).

Thanks for the comments on the river raise. I agree in retrospect. Should have raised earlier if I planned on playing back at what was likely 2x, Ax or maybe another low PP. He would have 3-bet preflop with anything big 80% of the time (estimate based on session; lots of blind play and heads up hands).

DeuceKicker
06-21-2005, 07:39 PM
I'd fold preflop.

Man, the pendulum has swung on these boards when 33 is considered a raising hand.

Ninth Path
06-21-2005, 08:13 PM
I think with a limper in late position (sure sign of a weak player) raising any pocket pair in a tight game to isolate him is a good play. You're pretty sure the blinds will fold, and he'll fold when he misses the flop and checks to you.

beset7
06-22-2005, 08:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold preflop.

Man, the pendulum has swung on these boards when 33 is considered a raising hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to fold it preflop but in a shorthanded pot raising any pocket pair is automatic for me after playing shorthanded games for a while.

DeuceKicker
06-22-2005, 12:48 PM
I get what you're saying, but I still don't buy it.

For one thing, the pot isn't necessarily going to be short-handed. If the button and blinds come along it's five-way. That seems like too many hands to dodge with a micropair, but not enough to justify trying to flop a set (especially for two bets).

Also, for this table specifically, you could be up against two 'tricky' TAGs in the blinds. I think 33 is going to leave you in a crappy situation if you get played back at. It will be tough to tell if they're playing back with crap because they suspect you of trying to isolate an early limper with semi-junk, or if they actually have you beat. I think this was kind of illustrated by your ill-conceived river raise.

In general, 33 is a weak holding that requires a lot of help, so you want to have plenty of callers to pay you off when you flop. I'd probably limp with it if I could be reasonably sure both blinds and button were coming along, or possibly raise against a known weak player. 33 against two or three opponents seems like the worst of both scenarios.

crunchy1
06-22-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I get what you're saying, but I still don't buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have to "buy it". This is one of those situations that may be right for his style of play but, not right for yours.

I think sometimes we get into a mode of thinking where a play is always correct/incorrect. This isn't the case. It not only varies from situation-to-situation (in reference to table texture/individual opponent reads) but, also from Hero-to-Hero. Some of us play a little tighter. Some of us play a little looser and more aggressive.

I'm not trying to be "stand-offish" here - just making a note that there are valid reasons for both options.