PDA

View Full Version : Call 2 cold with QJs?

togilvie
01-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Playing online low-limit last night, I had a confusing preflop decision that I thought I'd share.

I'm in the cutoff with QJs. EP raises and there is a caller in MP. I called, hoping for multiway action from the button or blinds. As it turned out, all folded. Three see the flop.

I got a nasty flop, EP bet, MP raise and I folded.

Thoughts on my preflop decision?

sucka
01-22-2003, 12:21 PM
It's not a horrible call - but depends heavily on how EP and MP play. If EP is a tight ass that raises in that spot with about 5 hands then it's not worth playing. If you don't know that much about him or anything at all then it's not a bad call. It's not always safe to assume that the blinds will call, but many times with 3 already in you'll get some action from the blinds as well.

It's frustrating to call 2 cold and not even get a piece of the flop but it's better than getting trapped if an Q or J falls and EP and/or MP has you dominated. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Did you get to see either of their hands?

Tyler Durden
01-22-2003, 12:31 PM
Coldcalling with QJs is almost always a bad idea. You're likely dominated like the Eagles were this past weekend.

Ed Miller
01-22-2003, 03:57 PM
I think you made a poor decision. QJs is very likely to be dominated (or against AK which isn't a picnic either) and you have no guarantee at all of a multiway pot. You should be folding your hand in this situation.

Bob T.
01-22-2003, 04:50 PM
I think that this is a borderline decision at best. If the raiser will open raise with any pocket pair, and the cold caller is a loose cold caller, then it is OK. Otherwise I am going to watch the hand and see what they had.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.