PDA

View Full Version : Steiner Book (Thursday Night Poker)

nicky g
01-22-2003, 12:04 PM
Has anyone read the Peter O. Steiner book on home game poker? I'm considering buying it. Particularly interested if it covers pot limit -I play in a small pot-limit dealer's choice game and people are enormously unpredictable and have very little card sense (though that's not to say they're all bad players - one in aprticlar isn't very knowledgeable at all but does very well, largely by playing very aggressively), and i wonder if it would be helpful in beating such a game.
Posting this in the books section too.
Thanks, NG.

nicky g
01-22-2003, 12:15 PM
Sorry, I see that in fact there's already a thread about this in the book section. Still, if any home game players have thoughts, I'd appreciate them.

broomcorn
01-22-2003, 04:33 PM
first book i ever read and i kept it hidden from my friends for a long time. unfortunately, i have since lost my copy and have not read it in years.
i thought it was great for the home game where you find so many that have no idea what they are doing. i liked the omaha section and the hi/lo declare section. i don't recall there being a pot/no-limit section, however.
hope this helps,
broomcorn

pokerlover
01-22-2003, 05:57 PM
It's a real good book for pot-limit home games because that's pretty much all he goes over if memory serves me correctly.

broomcorn
01-23-2003, 04:20 PM
pokerlover,
you must be thinking of a different book. the steiner book goes over holdem, omaha, 7cs, 7cs hi/low and i think there's a chapter on bluffing, etc.
pretty sure there is not much (if anything) on any form of pot-limit/no-limit.

pokerlover
01-23-2003, 10:40 PM
Actually almost every example he gives is a pot-limit betting example.

s_teiger
01-26-2003, 08:34 PM
First book I ever read, I thought it was a waste of time. Its too complicated for its own good. You should read Caro's Fundamental Secrets of Winning Poker instead. Definitely the best book for beginner's out there. Its filled with extremely helpful general advice. That would help you a lot more than Steiner's. Its also pretty short too.