PDA

View Full Version : Help with new purchase

Carmine
06-21-2005, 06:22 AM
Let me start off by explaining to you that my PC knowledge is Extremly limited so any suggestions on what a need/should be purchasing are appreciated.

I have just started looking at the Dell desktops as I figuered this would be the best option on a limited budget $900 or less preferred and still feel I will have good customer support/reliable equipment. If I do go this route does anyone know if I am better off ordering right over the internet or can I do some bargining with a telephone rep.

Indented use will be for multi-tableing Poker and running varies PT type software (my existing 8 year old system just bogs down when trying to use PT). Other than that just Microsoft Office software (Hardrive/Memory requirements here). Of course I play around with other stuff but this is the bulk of it. The problem with multi-tableing (I think) is that a 1600x1200 res. monitor is going to blow my budget. Do I have any other options? I don't think any of the 1028x1024 monitors will handle 4 tables. I thought I could possibly run two monitors utilizing my existing CRT (I believe) monitor. I'm assuming I can only play two tables on a 17" flat screen. The two monitors would allow me to play at least four for now. Will I be able to run two monitors off any new PC (I believe this involves the video card??)or do I need to meet certain hardware/software requirements.

Virus protection. I will be using a cable internet connection. I see Dell offers Norton subscription updates. Is this necessary. I'm not sure of the differance between Firewall protection vs. a virus program.

Lastly, at least for now, the one thing none have been able to answer. How do I get all the old information/programs from my old PC into my new. Some I will have the original disks but others I will not. Is there one step software I can purchase to accomplish this. Also do I need to be concerned about tranferring over any virus/other type problems in this process.

MyMindIsGoing
06-21-2005, 09:00 AM
You will get a decent computer with a montior for $900 (hardware and os only), but not with a 1600*1200 monitor.

BusterStacks
06-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Incorrect. 900 buys a plush system, or a decent one with a 2001fp. Seriously, I just did an order today with Dell small business, and I'm looking and 700 for a P4/512/DVD/80gb STA/17" DIGITAL flat panel/etc. Do your homework, the answer to this changes every week.

Oh btw, go Dell and don't get warranties. I tell everyone this.

MyMindIsGoing
06-21-2005, 03:14 PM
"Do your homework"

Yeah right... Flame away. People seem to appriciate my advice atleast. I gotten quite a few priv messages the last days about computers.

Please show me a decent computer (new, preassembled, no comps or anything) for $900 with a FTF that has 1600*1200 for a home user. And I do mean decent.

You can get a semi decent dell (dell sems ultrapopular in the us) for $600 with no monitor and then buy a $560 2001fp, but that adds up to $1160. And there is nothing extra in there (like anti virus or office). With smallest hard drive and no dvd burner I got it to be $1010 with 1600*1200 monitor (2001fp), integrated graphics. But how fun is that?

My specs for a decent computer: 3.0ghz p4, 512mb ram, 80gb+ HD, non integrated graphics.

Dead
06-22-2005, 04:02 AM
Buster, if you are telling people to buy Dell, then you should just stop giving out advice, period. Dell uses low quality parts and that is why their computers are so cheaply priced.

AngryCola
06-22-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Buster, if you are telling people to buy Dell, then you should just stop giving out advice, period. Dell uses low quality parts and that is why their computers are so cheaply priced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to Dead.

If you are going to buy a PC from one of the 'big companies', Dell is by far the best way to go.

stabn
06-22-2005, 05:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to Dead.

If you are going to buy a PC from one of the 'big companies', Dell is by far the best way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the cola.

Carmine
06-22-2005, 06:33 AM
Thanks for advice guys. If you guys think I will get more bang for the buck going with another company I'm all ears.

Can anyone answer the question about what is necessary to run two monitors also is there a big differance between a 2.8ghz and 3.0ghz processor.
Thanks Again.

tubalkain
06-22-2005, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to Dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're NOT going to buy a PC from one of the 'big companies', buy it from them anyway... the cost advantage of building it yourself is negligible these days, and may even be -EV once you throw in the cost of retail WinXP instead of having the OEM version preinstalled on a prebuild system.

Of course, there's always building it yourself, running Linux, and running poker clients in a Windows emulator. But do you really want to screw around with that if all you're doing with the machine is poker?

Transference
06-22-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Will I be able to run two monitors off any new PC (I believe this involves the video card??)or do I need to meet certain hardware/software requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest reading the zoo FAQ again for some answers to this. FWIW if you purchase a cheap dual out pci or agp card and use this with a system that has an onboard card you can have 3 monitors if you like.

Many 17" monitors won't handle high enough resolution to even 2 table w/o overlap so make sure and know the max res when you bargain hunt. You can also find reasonably priced 19" CRT's if you search hard.

I personally found a 17" from a friend free and got a 19" from a company sale for $40. I purchased an emachines PC with mail in rebate from circuit city that i found on fat wallet for ~$350. With a video card from new egg (~60) I can now run 6 tables with no overlap and PT and GT+ just fine for under $500 total.