PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION: Implied Odds

imashyboi
06-21-2005, 03:39 AM
Hi users, I just have a quick question regarding the proper use of implied odds. I understand the concept of implied odds, my problem is whether I am calculating them correctly. Ok, let me write a situation down so people can help me out.

Say your in the CO with 3 players who limped. You are holding AQo and raised(not sure if this is the right play but lets assume that I made the correct move by raising). Both blinds call including the other 3 players. Total of 6 players to the Flop with the pot being 12SBs. Flop comes:

KT9r

SB checks, BB bets out, 2 folds and the last limper check raises. You have 4 solid outs(J's) with 15SBs in the pot.

Now, lets say SB folds. Is my implied odds 18SBs = 9BBs. The reason how I got this number is, BB might call the raise since he is already in making the pot 16SBs. The person who raised is probably going to bet again on the Turn putting in another 2SBs on the Turn making the total pot size on the Turn 18SBs. Am I thinking this correctly?

Once all the betting are done on the Flop, do I recount the bets on the Turn to calculate my implied odds on the River? I'm a little confused about this part because some books doesn't include the bets you put in on the Flop to adjust your implied odds on the River.

Let me know if I am thinking this correctly. Thanks

Lestat
06-21-2005, 10:09 AM
It's too early in the day for me to follow the exact math, but your math in this example appears to be wrong, because you don't seem to be accounting for the fact that it's two cold to you. Are you?

To calculate implied odds you simply take the current pot odds and add any future bets you think you'll make if you hit your hand. So if you are getting 9 to 1 on a gutshot, you can call if you think you'll collect another 3 bets if you hit.

However, there is also something called reverse implied odds. In your example there is a good chance that the first guy might re-raise! This is not a small detail!

YoureToast
06-21-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
....the last limper check raises

[/ QUOTE ]

This can't occur. Restate your problem and we will analyze.

CardSharpCook
09-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Basically, implied odds are the adjusted odds for how often you win the hand. So in this hand, you may have 10 outs - 3As, 3Qs, 4Js. But you have to adjust this because not all your outs are gonna be good. So you kinda guesstimate how many of your outs are live. In this case, I assume one of my jacks is gone, and my ace outs are only good 50% of the time, and my Queen outs are also good 50% of the time. So, implied odds give me 6 outs.

CSC

ScottHogfoss
09-10-2005, 02:59 PM
wow.

edtost
09-10-2005, 05:19 PM
from reading this and your other posts, you really need to buy and read and study ssh and then come back to us without posting in between.