PDA

View Full Version : World's most retarded parents...

Lawrence Ng
06-21-2005, 02:38 AM
A Korean husband and wife are facing criminal charges after their baby daughter died when they left her alone in order to play World of Warcraft.

According to news site Chosun, police say the parents left their four month-old child alone in a bedroom while they went to play the MMORPG at a local Internet cafe.

When they returned five hours later, the baby was lying on her stomach and had died of suffocation.

"We were thinking of playing for just an hour or two and returning home like usual, but the game took longer that day," the couple is reported as saying.

Advertisement
Following a police investigation, the husband and wife will be required to defend their actions in court.

"It's unfortunate, because the tragedy could have been averted if the couple had just left their daughter with Yu's mother-in-law, who lived upstairs from them," said police.

"We booked the pair on criminal charges, judging that when you consider the situation, they were responsible for their daughter's death."

Linky (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59697)
Lawrence

durron597
06-21-2005, 02:49 AM
Words do not describe....

wacki
06-21-2005, 03:16 AM
Replace "to play World of Warcraft." with "go to bed for the night" the timespan would of been similar and this wouldn't of been a big deal.

vulturesrow
06-21-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Replace "to play World of Warcraft." with "go to bed for the night" the timespan would of been similar and this wouldn't of been a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except people do have to go to bed and they are there if something else happens that is detectable. Im sorry but I think staying home with your kid takes a little precedence over playing World of Warcraft.

wacki
06-21-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im sorry but I think staying home with your kid takes a little precedence over playing World of Warcraft.

[/ QUOTE ]
hmmmmm......

I am curious as to what would happen if I decided to go jogging, go swimming (exercise), play tennis, or some other exercise that could be considered recreational for an hour or more. (An hour is more than enough for suffocation.)

I fully agree that the parents are incompetent. I am just curious as to how much different our activities really are from their activities as far as safety for the child goes.

This is also a wake up call. Stories like this will make me afraid to go outside and work on the lawn while my child is sleeping in his crib. I've worked on the lawn for 5 hours straight more times than I can count. Do we really need good looking lawns? No we don't. Will I end up in court if my child dies while I'm outside working on the bushes? Probably not, yet for some reason that is much more acceptable than WoW. For all practical purposes there is no difference between my lawn work and their WoW playing. Or atleast none that I can think of. A nice lawn is not a necessary chore. Mowing the lawn is, but not having a nice,well taken care of, lawn.

I'm just trying to find a difference other than the "nerd factor".

Sykes
06-21-2005, 03:58 AM
wacki: Lawn care is not addicting. World of Warcraft is.

Victor
06-21-2005, 04:00 AM
you got a kid wacki?

TimM
06-21-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just trying to find a difference other than the "nerd factor".

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is, other things could have happened to the kid that could have been prevented by a parent out mowing the lawn or sleeping in another room.

vulturesrow
06-21-2005, 04:07 AM
The difference is that there is absolutely no good reason to leave an infant unattended for more than short periods of time. And by unattended I mean outside of the house. I have three kids and that is absolutely the rule in our house. Sure it can be inconvenient some times but being a parent means putting aside what is convenient for you.

wacki
06-21-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The difference is that there is absolutely no good reason to leave an infant unattended for more than short periods of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%

[ QUOTE ]
The difference is, other things could have happened to the kid that could have been prevented by a parent out mowing the lawn or sleeping in another room.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I wasn't talking about mowing the lawn, I'm talking about lawn care.
2) The vast majority of things tend to happen over days (illness) or minutes (suffocation/SIDS). So I'm not sure I agree.

vulturesrow
06-21-2005, 04:21 AM
You are right. Some times things happen in timeframes where your being there at a certain time has no effect. In other cases there are. The fact is that going to play a video game implies a certain disregard for parental responsibilities. Sure they only way to be certain nothing bad happens that you have control over is to organize a 24 hour infant watch between your wife and you. Obviously that isnt really feasible. But going to play a video game for hours completely removes any chance you had of catching something in the short term. Reading stories like this makes me very angry so I apologize if I seem short.

tomdemaine
06-21-2005, 04:33 AM
replace world of warcraft with going out and having a long leisurely dinner = not a news story.

wacki
06-21-2005, 04:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Reading stories like this makes me very angry so I apologize if I seem short.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't apologize. What I'm getting at is a lot of people will think that this neglect is worse, and I don't. Neglect is neglect and I see people leaving their kids alone all of the time. I just find it interesting as to how some forms of neglect are respected and others are shunned instantly. I was hoping for more discussion but I have to get some sleep. Work to do.....

On a side note: Many people talk about running sweepers to put the baby to sleep. I wonder if that method is dangerous as it could easily drown out any coughing/choking.

wacki
06-21-2005, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
replace world of warcraft with going out and having a long leisurely dinner = not a news story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally somebody got my point!!!!!!!

billyjex
06-21-2005, 05:14 AM
obviously news with an "oddity" element is more interesting and newsworthy. duh.

but parents dont do that [censored], like go out to dinner and leave the kid all alone. they find someone to take care of him/her. if anyone does that, they [censored] suck as parents.

jakethebake
06-21-2005, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you're saying. This may very well still have happened if they were there. Choldren smother in their cribs during the night all the time. However, that doesn't mean people should leave infants home alone.