PDA

View Full Version : Pop-ups Going Too Far?

10-09-2001, 02:40 PM
I've always thought that maybe the SPM had problems that others don't have. At least this seems to be the case at the poker table (just kidding-spm :>) ) I suspected he was being too sensitive. Maybe he has an out-dated computer or doesn't know how to work the one he has. But now it's happening to me!

I was inundated with pop-ups when I logged on 2+2 this morning. With every knew thread I opened, I got a brand new sprinx window. I even got two popping up simultaneously (Sprinx and some other Vegas ad). Every time I closed one, another popped up. I hope this was just a quirk. If not, I'd like to make a formal complaint. This is too much. I understand the need for advertisers, but this is beyond inconvenience. It's an imposition to 2+2 contributers (Not that I am a worthwhile one myself). But I do like to read the posts here. Can anything be done about this?

10-09-2001, 03:11 PM
Just disable "active scripting" in IE (under internet tools/security/customize - or something like that), or "JavaScript" in Netscape (under edit/preferences/advanced). That will stop the popups. Reenable those things for sites that require them to work.

10-09-2001, 04:47 PM
Kevin,

You of little faith I may not always be right but I'm never wrong. The Sprinks is evil and we should call a jihad to free us from the time wasted by these addvertisors. And your right things happen to me at the poker table that goes against nature. If it wasn't for bad luck I would have any luck at all. But it could be I spend to much time in Boarder Town.

SPM,...play long and prosper...

10-09-2001, 07:53 PM
Microsoft Internet Explorer. How do I do it? thanks.

10-09-2001, 09:20 PM
...with a slight elaboration. Internet Explorer is referred to as IE in my first post. Here's whatchya do. However, if you have a super-new version it could be slightly different. Click on this sequence: tools/internet options/security/custom level/... now scroll down to "active scripting" and check "disable". Finally click yes on the box that asks if you're sure you want to do this. (You can go back and undo it with the same sequence any time.) Unfortunately IE makes this more cumbersome than Netscape, with which you can do it in a couple of secs. But most websites work without this feature anyway. Still, for about 20% of them (wild guess) you'll have to reactivate it. Happy to help.

10-09-2001, 09:53 PM
the 2+2 forums are very good spm. so along with good must come some evil. so enter the sprinks, just for you, enjoy and prosper.

ray zee,... the little bit of evil in the life of spm

10-09-2001, 10:11 PM
FPD 1800, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition. I called Gateway and they told me that if I do what you are telling me to do, that I may damage the computer and they will not honor the warranty. The same if I buy any products that will stop these popups. They tell me, to make the change, to go to "customization of the system"??? and that I'll be on my own. I thank you for your time, any other comments?

10-09-2001, 11:59 PM

10-10-2001, 01:11 AM
Well that is very strange. I don't have Millenium, so I don't know. But this is simply a browser (not your operating system) setting which is really quite routine. Certainly it SHOULD be routine, but I suppose it's always possible that MS has hooked windows up to this function in some way that makes unhooking it a problem. It could be part of catering to the whims of advertisers, I suppose?? Can someone who knows about Millenium clear this up? Anyone out there?

10-10-2001, 04:08 AM
I have a program called "PopUpKiller" that automatically closes pop up windows that I didn't ask for. It also makes a satisfying "BOOOOM" sound when it closes them.

Chris