PDA

View Full Version : Which sport has the best highlights?

ThaSaltCracka
06-21-2005, 01:01 AM
I am talking Sportscenter Top 10 style highlight. Others, please specify.

Vince Young
06-21-2005, 01:03 AM
NCAAF

ThaSaltCracka
06-21-2005, 01:04 AM
my vote is MLB, I love seeing a infielder dive for a ball, throw from his knees to 2B and then seeing a double play turned. Or a OF totally laying out and nailing the wall for an out.

NFL is a close second though. Seeing a RB brake ankles is NICE.

ThaSaltCracka
06-21-2005, 01:05 AM
NCAAF>NFL?????

Voltron87
06-21-2005, 01:06 AM
im a bigger baseball fan but its nfl. just watching highlight reels of baseball doesnt do too much, at the end of the day we've all seen 1,000 diving catches, or infielders going in the hole and gunning someone. but when you see it in context, when youve been watching a game, in a big spot some cf dives to catch a ball for an out that would have been 2 runs that you didnt think he could get, then its ridiculous.

ThaSaltCracka
06-21-2005, 01:08 AM
impact isn't what I am talking about. Which ones are the most skillful and athletic. I think some of the NFL plays are amazing, don't get me wrong. I take baseball barely though. FWIW, I think NBA is a distant 3rd, barely competing with the other sports.

Vince Young
06-21-2005, 01:09 AM
IMO, yes.

Vince Young
06-21-2005, 01:10 AM
Laying out a football player, making an amazing catch in football, and braking ankles are all 10x harder than making a diving catch in baseball.

mason55
06-21-2005, 01:13 AM
A great NHL highlight can't be touched by anything else.

Voltron87
06-21-2005, 01:15 AM
i dunno, i love watching baseball, but when i see the web gems or whatever it just doesnt amaze me. but if i saw those same diving catches in a game when they mattered id be yelling "OH! WHAT? OOOHHHHHH! WHAT?"

Like seeing an outfielder jump the fence to rob a hr, thats not that impressive to me in the web gem reel, but in a real game its awesome.

i know youre kind of talking about "physically impressive", which is kind of different. In that case I think its baseball, stuff like diving in the hole and gunning someone while off balance, ofs running backward and tracking balls at fullspeed, diving (not the pussy kind of dive where the fielder just ends up on the ground, real ones), those are most impressive.

ThaSaltCracka
06-21-2005, 01:27 AM
I don't see how laying out a player in the NFL is really all that hard. As long as they don't see you, and you hit them hard, they get laid out. As for making an amazing catch, what like diving 5-7 feet to catch a ball? MLB players do that all the time. Maybe a one handed catch in the NFL trumps all that(IMO yeah it does, but that doesn't happen much). I personally don't see how these are 10x harder.

2+2 wannabe
06-21-2005, 02:20 AM
it's clearly the nfl - and it's not really close

Zurvan
06-21-2005, 06:14 AM
Hockey without a doubt. NBA a distant second.

Blackjack
06-21-2005, 06:34 AM
Nascar crashes /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hoopsie44
06-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Isn't this the same as asking " What's your favorite sport" ?

Jack of Arcades
06-21-2005, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

hoopsie44
06-21-2005, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad when you keep your posts to one word. Otherwise, I have to try to decipher your convoluted ramblings.

poker-penguin
06-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Aussie Rules Football.

You got guys getting huge air to grab the ball over a pack of guys (like making a reception in double or triple coverage)

You got guys kicking punts between the uprights from narrow angles on the run and under pressure from 50 yards plus.

You got guys making runs through / round several opponents (and bouncing the oval ball every 10 steps)

You got bonecrunching hits at top speed without pads.

And you even get a bit of biffo.

mmbt0ne
06-21-2005, 12:16 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
my vote is MLB, I love seeing a infielder dive for a ball, throw from his knees to 2B and then seeing a double play turned. Or a OF totally laying out and nailing the wall for an out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. I was about to say something like this after seeing the SportsCenter TOp 10 this morning. It was filled with baseball plays.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-21-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the SportsCenter TOp 10 this morning. It was filled with baseball plays.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, what do you know? Baseball's the only sport going on right now.

I love my Web Gems, but I've gotta say hockey produces the best highlights. It's got awesome high-speed collisions, the stickhandling, great shots, coast-to-coast goals, and let's not forget the amazing saves the goalies make.

kerssens
06-21-2005, 12:22 PM
I said MLB for the complete package but nothing in MLB makes me say "ooooooooooo" in like some of the highlights in NFL and NBA. An incredible dunk in the single best highlight in sports, followed by something in NFL.

mmbt0ne
06-21-2005, 12:24 PM
the SportsCenter TOp 10 this morning. It was filled with baseball plays.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, what do you know? Baseball's the only sport going on right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche. These were much better than your normal baseball highlights though.

M2d
06-21-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aussie Rules Football.

You got guys getting huge air

[/ QUOTE ]
in an almost all white sport, this seems like a little too much hyperbole

Phoenix1010
06-21-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely plays a role. I for one can't understand how someone diving on the floor or running into a wall to make a catch can be all that exciting. Baseball fans eat it up. Personally, I think the structure of baseball is just too rigid to allow for many great plays, I don't see how the NBA isn't a close second behind the NFL, but the obvious answer is that it's just not as popular as the other sports.

ThaSaltCracka
06-21-2005, 06:05 PM
hmmm... I never factored in the "ooooooo" factor.

antidan444
06-21-2005, 06:25 PM
When it comes to watching games on TV, I'd rank them NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA. Live, switch NHL and MLB.

But as far as highlight packages go, I'd rank them NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL. I think basketball feats amaze me more than any others.

That's just me, though.

poker-penguin
06-21-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aussie Rules Football.

You got guys getting huge air

[/ QUOTE ]
in an almost all white sport, this seems like a little too much hyperbole

[/ QUOTE ]

It's assisted - they jump up onto the other guy's shoulder / back with their knee and then lever themselves up further.

yoadrians
06-23-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A great NHL highlight can't be seen by anyone .

[/ QUOTE ]

yoadrians
06-23-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When it comes to watching games on TV, I'd rank them NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA. Live, switch NHL and MLB.

But as far as highlight packages go, I'd rank them NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL. I think basketball feats amaze me more than any others.

That's just me, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess you like watching slam dunks and fast breaks.

For me, NFL highlights are No. 1, NCAA football is No. 2, and after that, it doesn't matter.

Come on, admit it - the music they play over the highlights on ESPN's NFL Primetime is enough to give you chills.

yoadrians
06-23-2005, 12:45 AM
And I'll go three posts in a row on this one:

The highlight that's the best is the one that's accompanied NOT by the ESPN announcer reading from the teleprompter, but the one that's straight from the live hometown radio broadcast of the event (i.e. Bob Ueker's home run call for the Brewers is WAY better than hearing Dan Patrick say 'and xxxx hits a homerun for the Brewers).

vulturesrow
06-23-2005, 03:37 AM
NFL, with NHL a close second. NFL because their such a wide variety of highlights. The NHL has a lot of this too I think but at the same time it has a certain sameness to it as well. But its close. Too bad you didnt have rugby as a choice...and I mean rugby union, not that wimpy rugby league stuff. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

zephed
06-23-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A great NHL highlight can't be touched by anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm biased, but I agree. A great open ice hit can't be beat.

Football is a close second. I think the collisions in the NHL are better because they are at higher speeds. Players also lose their balance pretty awkwardly on skates. I'm not saying it's rougher than football.

Followed by the NBA, which has some sweet highlights. Good dunks or moves.

Baseball is probably the worst. There's no 1-on-1 interaction like the other sports.

zephed
06-23-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how laying out a player in the NFL is really all that hard.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is absurd.

BadBoyBenny
06-23-2005, 08:21 AM
I like soccer, hockey, and golf highlights. These are some of my least favorite sports to watch a whole contest though.

Maulik
06-23-2005, 11:54 AM
tennis doesn't make for the sexiest replays, but theirs much dexterity involved, similar to when you see an NFL player tip toeing around the sidelines while reeling in the ball one handed. NFL is first, tennis is somewhere above most others

i think golf sucks, hope this helps

kyro
06-23-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tennis doesn't make for the sexiest replays, but theirs much dexterity involved, similar to when you see an NFL player tip toeing around the sidelines while reeling in the ball one handed. NFL is first, tennis is somewhere above most others

i think golf sucks, hope this helps

[/ QUOTE ]

if it doesn't make for the sexiest replays, then no, it does not rank above the rest of them in terms of best highlights. I enjoy watching tennis, but there are very few plays (short of a shot between the legs) that make me go "whoopeeee!" when I'm watching tennis highlights.

I will now spend the next 20 minutes thinking of a time I said "whooopeeee!" during a football highlight...

Phoenix1010
06-23-2005, 12:32 PM
I'll say this much, the fact the MLB got any votes, much less is beating the NBA and NHL, is just silly. No one is trying to stop you from catching the damn ball. All you have to do is run really fast and stretch. Hell, Robert Horry's dunk a few nights ago trumps any MLB hihghlight I've seen on SportCenter this year; we don't even have to talk about Vince Carter jumping over 7 foot white guys.

istewart
06-23-2005, 12:41 PM
For the pure reason that it has buzzerbeaters, the NBA should get this (i.e. Duncan's shot and then Fisher's shot from last year). The truly great plays in baseball are probably the cream of the crop though.

Wes ManTooth
06-23-2005, 02:07 PM
I can't believe that NBA is actually third in this voting results. Just because someone throws up a circus shot with time running out and it goes in doesn't make a great highlight. Most of the NBA highlights are dunks any was and they get old real fast. NFL and NHL are overall far and away the best. Sometimes a good baseball highlight with a homerun getting robbed is good.

ThaSaltCracka
06-23-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]no its not. It looks cool, but thats it. Try knocking someone over when they aren't looking at you.

sublime
06-23-2005, 09:35 PM
http://forums.nyyfans.com/customavatars/avatar6256_33.gif

omfg, this is hilarious

kerssens
06-23-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://forums.nyyfans.com/customavatars/avatar6256_33.gif

omfg, this is hilarious

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome...RJ is an ass.

sublime
06-23-2005, 09:42 PM
speaking of:
dad?

http://www.usocpressbox.org/usoc/pressbox.nsf/0/6c3b17df6a11579785256eef002eb967/$File/Popovich,Gregg.jpg

son?

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/baseball/mlb/players/4288.jpg

kerssens
06-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Randy Johnson would somehow be even uglier if he was named Randy Popovich.

zephed
06-24-2005, 08:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]no its not. It looks cool, but thats it. Try knocking someone over when they aren't looking at you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try knocking someone over when they know you are coming.

Bulldog
06-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Players rarely get "laid out" when they see the hit coming. (Exception: Christian Okoye by Steve Atwater on MNF.)

NFL is number one however--they have diving catches just like baseball, and big hits. Also, laterals and hail marys and double reverses and other great trick plays.

MLB is number two--great defensive plays are still fun to watch.

NBA is number three--a dunk is a dunk is a dunk, with about 1% being astounding exceptions that zoom up the list. Buzzer beaters are niiiice as well.

NHL? By the time you figure out where the puck is, the highlight is over.

touchfaith
06-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Nude Volleyball

http://www.nakedvolleyball.com/Photos/mc970615.jpg

ononimo
06-24-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we don't even have to talk about Vince Carter jumping over 7 foot white guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, we DO need to mention it ... for those of you voting for the MLB, please click here (http://www.whoomp.com/articles/71/1/Vince-Carter-Olympic-Dunk)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/OccamsRazor/VinceCarterOlympicDunk.gif

sublime
06-24-2005, 05:00 PM
that was pretty cool, but it doesnt do it for me. i prefer to see a well turned double play. matter of preference i guess.

mrbaseball
06-24-2005, 05:04 PM
I think it comes down to the sport you like best. For me that's obviously baseball.

Best highlight ever was Randy Johnson hitting that bird with a pitch in a spring training game a few years back.

ononimo
06-24-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that was pretty cool, but it doesnt do it for me. i prefer to see a well turned double play. matter of preference i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough.
out of curiosity, what are your top 3 most impressive double plays?

sublime
06-24-2005, 05:10 PM

i have no idea, and i see where your going with this. i just dont care all that much for basketball /images/graemlins/smile.gif i did maybe 10 years ago, but the game just seems awful right now.

ononimo
06-24-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i have no idea, and i see where your going with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i guess i wasn't being too subtle ... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

goofball
06-25-2005, 12:56 AM
How was car racing not been mentioned in this thread?!?!

That is clearly the answer.

Vince Young
06-25-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
who is 200 lbs minimum.

ThaSaltCracka
06-25-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I still don't see how this is all that great.

thatpfunk
06-25-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is absurd.

no its not. It looks cool, but thats it. Try knocking someone over when they aren't looking at you.

I still don't see how this is all that great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love watching someone get de-cleated but I think it i partially because it reminds me of the feeling of laying someone out.

IMHO, great football catches are much more impressive than anything in baseball. I'd like to see Hunter make some of his catches with someone draped all over him or knowing another guy is coming to try to knock his head off /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ThaSaltCracka
06-25-2005, 02:27 AM
FWIW, I think if you gave Hunter 10+ years of football training, and switched him with say, Randy Moss and gave him 10+ years of baseball(especially CF practice), both could make just as many amazing plays in either sport.

zephed
06-25-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess you just haven't done it then. It's harder than it looks.

ThaSaltCracka
06-25-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

zephed
06-26-2005, 06:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
two large athletic tough football players running towards each other, and one lays out the other. What don't you get about this?

This is complete physical domination. It's power, strength, balance and physical talent.

Usually these confrontations end in unspectacular tackles.