PDA

View Full Version : I always have a hard time here, AK ,HU, OOP, UI - When to Give it Up?

GrandmaStabone
06-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Boolean
06-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Take this with a grain of salt, I haven't played serious money poker for a while.
Good bet on the flop IMO, you have 2 overcards and a backdoor flush draw. You need to do this to protect your hand the times you spike an Ace and one of the other limpers have you reverse dominated.

On the turn, however, I'd check because at this point, you've missed your flush draw, and you're relying on only 6 outs which will come in only ~13% of the time. If you have a good read on the player and you think he'll possibly fold with an 8 with a low kicker, then this bet is possible, but I'm not sure if I'd do it.

On the river, you've Ace high, and you're most likely beat. Check/fold.

Stuey
06-21-2005, 12:40 AM
What does the button cold call a 3-bet with?
I'm guessing JJ but it could be any medium to high pair. AQ or AK is possible but I feel it's more likely he has a PP. Reads would help here, but if you have none I think it is best to give him credit for a PP. The fact the SB raised preflop then folds to the flop bet tells me he had overcards, so some of your outs are gone and the button's hand is much more likely to be a medium to low PP imo.

I like the way you played it. I would consider check/calling the river to avoid the times you will get raised on the river. I can't fold it though. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Edit: reread the OP button does not cold call the 3 bet. So my read is junk. I still like playing it the same way you did but with a check/call on the river.

milesdyson
06-21-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What does the button cold call a 3-bet with?

[/ QUOTE ]
he open-limped and called two more, meaning there is no logical range of hands to put him on.

bottomset
06-21-2005, 12:54 AM
please try a little harder you have 4posts in the top20or so, not a single one contains more than just a converted hand

seriously if you are gonna flood, at least have some reads

GrandmaStabone
06-21-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
please try a little harder you have 4posts in the top20or so, not a single one contains more than just a converted hand

seriously if you are gonna flood, at least have some reads

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah sorry I played like 2,000 hands today which is a TON for me.

Stuey
06-21-2005, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the correction. I would be interested what you and others think of SB folding to the flop bet.

How dangerous is it for me to think he folded overcards and I should think of my hand as possibly having less outs?

I'm reading a new book (non2+2) and it is making me think about counting outs differently. I could be misusing the ideas horribly however.

Dave G.
06-21-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How dangerous is it for me to think he folded overcards and I should think of my hand as possibly having less outs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't recommend it. Outs counting and odds are all intended to be somewhat precise calculations. When you start guessing in the dark as to what your opponent has and adjusting your odds that way, you're essentially playing a crap shoot with your pot odds, which means you will undervalue your hand sometimes and overvalue it at other times.

This means you'll stray more wildly from the mathematically correct play. Over the long run, this is going to hurt your win rate, the same way that consistently making bad calls does.

Now this isn't to say that you shouldn't be trying to read what your opponent has. Obviously you should, and you should allow these reads to have some weight on your decisions in the hand. But don't include these reads in your outs counting / pot odds calculations! Treat them seperately.

Also, I don't agree with the assertion about our outs in the first place. What is someone most likely to limp, then call 2 back to them, then fold on the flop? An unimproved small pocket pair is at the top of my list, not overcards. This demonstrates why using these wild guesses in your mathematical calculations is only going to cause you trouble.

Duerig
06-21-2005, 07:35 AM
I check fold the river given no reads..