PDA

View Full Version : Bet river?

MarkD
01-22-2003, 01:40 AM
1-2 PP I sit down in cutoff and post. Dealt 22 and flop quads, don't show down. Next hand is AcTc and I semi-bluff win the pot without show down. That was just to set the stage a bit.

Dealt 99 in CO-3. CO-5 limps, Co-4 raises and I 3 bet to clear the field with position. Everyone else folds and they both call.

Flop: Qh Tc 8h
Co-4 bets, Co-3 calls and I raise kind of hoping for a free card. 11 bets in the pot when it gets to me and I have a pair with a gutshot so I'm not going to fold. Co-4 three bets, co-3 calls and I decide to slow down.

Turn: Js
Bet, call, and I raise my straight. Both call.

River: 2h
Check, check to me. I can't really put pre-flop raiser (co-3) on a hand but I don't imagine he has a flush due to him checking. I think co-4 has a Q with a decent kicker, maybe QJ even. I think about it for a minute and decide this is one of the value bet spots that I've read about recently here.

Thoughts on the river bet? Actually, comments on all streets are welcome.

Ed Miller
01-22-2003, 02:58 AM
For sure bet the river.

Bob T.
01-22-2003, 05:11 AM
I think all of your decisions were reasonable. I agree that the river bet is correct.

The only one that I might question is the raise on the flop, the board is highly coordinated, and anyone with a made hand will be suspicious of a potential free card raise. Additionally, you have no clean outs, and there might be cards on the turn which would really cripple your hand. I might try and play this one cheaply by calling the flop.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.

Mason Malmuth
01-22-2003, 06:45 AM
Hi mark:

Dealt 99 in CO-3. CO-5 limps, Co-4 raises and I 3 bet to clear the field with position. Everyone else folds and they both call.

I'm not real thrilled with this play. You need a "loose raiser" for it to be correct in my opinion, especially if the original limper won't fold. You can easily be against four overcards or a bigger pair and two overcards.

Flop: Qh Tc 8h
Co-4 bets, Co-3 calls and I raise kind of hoping for a free card. 11 bets in the pot when it gets to me and I have a pair with a gutshot so I'm not going to fold. Co-4 three bets, co-3 calls and I decide to slow down.

This spot is tricky. You need to ask yourself why did CO-4 bet into a raiser and a three bettor. He should be aware that you will bet automatically if checked to. There is a good chance he is looking for three bets.

As for the river, you should have a value bet. If the flush exists, it will most likely be with the player in the middle. But since he checked, he's a little less likely to have it. So even though you might get raised, you should probably bet.

By the way, if reraised on the turn, you're probably against an AK.

Best wishes,
Mason

rigoletto
01-22-2003, 09:15 AM
(I haven't seen other responses)

Good raise preflop

Too bad your 'free card' raise didn't work, but I like it.

I would also bet the river; the preflop raiser is unlikely to have AK since he didn't raise the turn and I think you're right about a flush betting out. I believe you're right about co-4 (AQ or QJ) and I would put preflop raiser on AJs.

rigoletto
01-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Hi Mason

Concerning your comment

This spot is tricky. You need to ask yourself why did CO-4 bet into a raiser and a three bettor. He should be aware that you will bet automatically if checked to. There is a good chance he is looking for three bets.

You're right in principle, but this is PP 1/2 where everybody and their mother bets top pair on the flop. Since the table texture seemed to be weak tight, I think the free card raise is playable here as long as you don't overdo it.

Casey
01-22-2003, 09:14 PM
I don't like the 3bet with the nines pre-flop. The raise on the flop is great for a free card if it works. Worth the try. Glad the j came on the turn, anyone else thinks its a tough decision to see the river if the turn would have been a blank (and its bet into you)? Gotta bet the river.