PDA

View Full Version : Help plan my trip from DC -> LA

AZK
06-20-2005, 11:34 PM
Just graduated, no job, nothing to worry about...friend is moving out to LA for a job, was originally going to fly there and ship the car when I thought: ROADTRIP. I haven't seen a lot of the US, I don't know whats good/bad/out there etc... I imagine driving straight through (both through the US and without stopping to take up sights) would be pretty boring. I imagine we'd have to go around rather than straight through to see anything really interesting, I don't really know. I'm interested in hearing what people have done, where they have stopped, what's incredible, what isn't etc... So help me plan it. My friend is pretty tame, not a big drinker/partyer/gambler etc... so I don't know if that affects anything. Afterwards I plan to hang out in LA at his place for a week or two (I'll probably live at commerce) and then just fly home.

I'm open to all suggestions...

Thanks.

slamdunkpro
06-20-2005, 11:37 PM
I'll just say this - Driving across the country is a great idea; for the first 5 hours.

AZK
06-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Valid point. Is this just a stupid idea and I should fly to LA when he is out there and say fuckit to all the random sights like yellowstone/grand canyon and whatever else...

mason55
06-20-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My friend is pretty tame, not a big drinker/partyer/gambler etc... so I don't know if that affects anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

That affects a lot. If you wanted to party I would say go down south through ATL then N.O. and the big cities in Texas, then hit Phoenix and San Diego.

If you don't want to gamble or party just drive the straightest route and experience small town middle America. It will be fun and eye opening if you've never been through the heartland.

slamdunkpro
06-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Yellowstone and the grand canyon are a loooonnnngg way apart

BreakfastBurrito
06-21-2005, 12:06 AM
I moved from Philly to San Diego last summer and would recommend my route. Take the northern route. Stop through Chicago, then go up through Wisconsin and southern Minnesota and across South Dakota. Check out the Badlands, Deadwood, Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument, then continue through Wyoming and up into Montana. See the Little Bighorn, if you have time travel even farther north and check out Calgary and the Canadian Rockies. If not, cut through the Bear Tooth Pass into Yellowstone. Continue through Idaho into Oregon all the way till Portland. Then make your way all the way down the west coast. Take the opportunity to see Big Sky country.

Tyler Durden
06-21-2005, 12:13 AM
You should definitely see Yosemite and the Grand Canyon. Sedona is a cool town to stop in also.

AZK
06-21-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

That affects a lot. If you wanted to party I would say go down south through ATL then N.O. and the big cities in Texas, then hit Phoenix and San Diego.

If you don't want to gamble or party just drive the straightest route and experience small town middle America. It will be fun and eye opening if you've never been through the heartland.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking. If I was with my boys, we wouldn't care how long it took, we would take the craziest, party-infested alcohol root. Not so with this guy...

jayboo
06-21-2005, 02:06 AM
Me and my bro took a road trip from Boston Ma. to San Diego Ca.
We hit Foxwoods, N.Y.C., Atlantic City, Virginia Beach,
Myrtle Beach, Atlanta, Nashville, Amirillo, Alberqurque, Flagstaff,LAS VEGAS , L.A., and finally arrived.
We spent close to 3 weeks on the road and had a [censored] blast.
I may never see this much of the country again but i certainly will never forget our trip. Well worth it.
I hope you take youre time and really soak it in. You won't regret it. Good luck and have fun. Jay /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jakethebake
06-21-2005, 08:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell is fun about seeing a bunch of nothing? It's not like you'll really be getting to know the people on a brief roadtrip. I like both the North & South ideas.

The Badlands, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc. is beautiful country. I did this trip a couple of years ago. Driving down through Atlanta, New Orleans, Lafayatte, Austin, San Antonio, Big Bend, Carlsbad Caverns, the Grand Canyon, etc. is also a pretty cool trip.

mason55
06-21-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell is fun about seeing a bunch of nothing? It's not like you'll really be getting to know the people on a brief roadtrip. I like both the North & South ideas.

The Badlands, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc. is beautiful country. I did this trip a couple of years ago. Driving down through Atlanta, New Orleans, Lafayatte, Austin, San Antonio, Big Bend, Carlsbad Caverns, the Grand Canyon, etc. is also a pretty cool trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I don't know how to have fun that doesn't involve debauchery.

jakethebake
06-21-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I don't know how to have fun that doesn't involve debauchery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I do. But seeing a whole lotta nothing isn't that fun. I enjot the country. But it's only fun if you spend time and get to know people. They basically have the same things in every small town. You'll see enough of that driving between things like the big scenic stuff.

Los Feliz Slim
06-21-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just graduated, no job, nothing to worry about

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying;
And this same flower that smiles today
Tomorrow will be dying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take the trip.

hoopsie44
06-21-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm assuming that whatever route you choose, Las Vegas will be the last stop before you arrive in LA.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-21-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I moved from Philly to San Diego last summer and would recommend my route. Take the northern route. Stop through Chicago, then go up through Wisconsin and southern Minnesota and across South Dakota. Check out the Badlands, Deadwood, Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument, then continue through Wyoming and up into Montana. See the Little Bighorn, if you have time travel even farther north and check out Calgary and the Canadian Rockies. If not, cut through the Bear Tooth Pass into Yellowstone. Continue through Idaho into Oregon all the way till Portland. Then make your way all the way down the west coast. Take the opportunity to see Big Sky country.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do this. It'll take hella-long, but it'll be a good trip. It might be so long that you're just ready for it to be done by the time you finish, though.