PDA

View Full Version : I'm recommending a book

brettbrettr
06-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Public Enemies by Bryan Burrough.

Its about bank robbers during the early 1930's--Bonnie and Clyde, John Dillinger, The Barkers, Pretty Boy Floyd etc--and traces how the modern day FBI came about. Basically once the outlaws crossed state lines local and state police couldn't do much of anything about it. Hoover's force was initially comprised of beaurocratic lawyer types but as time went on he realized they weren't equipped to deal with the gangs so he started recruiting "guys who knew how to shoot." (Yes, that's an accurate quote and I admire its simplicity.)

The book basically debunks all the myths about the various outlaws--eg, Bonnie and Clyde were really nickel and dimers who robbed gas stations more than banks. Ruthless, yes. But not as "accomplished" as the other gangs.

Anyhoo, there's my OOT contribution. OOT, you're welcome.

jakethebake
06-21-2005, 08:11 AM
And this wouldn't fit into either of the other two book threads going right now?

xLukex
06-21-2005, 09:40 AM
[censored] THAT I'LL WATCH THE HISTORY CHANNEL.

raisins
06-21-2005, 07:06 PM
If you're interested in this history do a search on Nelly Bryce. He was one of the gunfighters hired by the FBI to handle these criminals. He had incredible other world type skills. There's a bit of information on him on the web, I don't know of any books.

Another interesting book on the subject is a Dynasty of Western Outlaws that claims there was a chain of mentor student relationships from Quantrell through Jesse James and other Wild West figures to some of the armed robbers of the Prohibition.

regards,

raisins