PDA

View Full Version : too aggressive?

rivered_again
06-20-2005, 09:42 PM
This was played against someone I identified as a major donkey (making really stupid calls and getting lucky). Pot after pot he rivered three of a kinds, straights, flushes, you name it. I figured his luck would run out eventually. Then this hand came up: (I have QJs)

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (14.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22.75 BB

(The donkey in CO had called my raise with J4o, and flopped a full house)

I was obviously disgusted by this hand. He hit a miracle flop YET AGAIN.

When you're up against this sort of player in this situation, are you better off just calling it down? Better safe than sorry? At which point should the warning bells have gone off? (they never went off - I was sure I had it)

When I run lucky I usually get greedy and push my luck and play junk hands. That's what I thought this guy was doing - he'd been having ridiculous over-the-top luck for the past hour and was just raising with anything to scare people out based on his card rack image. Guess I was wrong...

PokerSparky
06-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Just call the river raise.

This is basically a bad beat post which are viamently poo pooed here.

kapw7
06-20-2005, 09:50 PM
There are plenty of hands that beat you here KJ/AJ/J7/J4/44/77/AA. I understand the turn 3-bet but when you get capped it is trouble. Tilting is not good. You can become more of a donkey than the donkey you lose to.

kapw7
06-20-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool down man. That was his first post.

Delzek15
06-20-2005, 09:53 PM
No way I cap here on the river... After he caps me on the turn I'm suspecting A/J. Call it down on the river and be done with it.

PokerSparky
06-20-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool down man. That was his first post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't viamently poo poo (I love typing poo poo) his post, I just was warning him others might.

gvibes
06-20-2005, 10:13 PM
The preflop raise UTG w/ QJs is a little (lot) iffy, I think.

aK13
06-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Fold preflop (or limp on loose tables).

I'd call the river raise, as I'd really hate to get capped.

istewart
06-20-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta be kidding.

dozer
06-20-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I run lucky I usually get greedy and push my luck and play junk hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe in this, you are the last person that should be ridiculing others and calling them donkeys.

gvibes
06-20-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop (or limp on loose tables).

I'd call the river raise, as I'd really hate to get capped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I don't think I ever fold this UTG.

EDIT: phew - I'm glad I'm not the only one who was schoked by that statement.

rivered_again
06-21-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe in this, you are the last person that should be ridiculing others and calling them donkeys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found poker to be streaky. Luck through statistical variance. Only in the very short term though. In the long term it all averages out.

What I should have said is I may limp in with marginal hands when I'm getting a good run of cards. My definition of marginal is something like 86o or T7o. I would never call a preflop raise with those hands, much less J4o if that's what you're suggesting.

Iq75
06-21-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What I should have said is I may limp in with marginal hands when I'm getting a good run of cards. My definition of marginal is something like 86o or T7o. I would never call a preflop raise with those hands, much less J4o if that's what you're suggesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bro, 86o and T7o are pure junk. I would not limp them at all, not even on tilt.

SoftcoreRevolt
06-21-2005, 03:52 AM
Wow, you are going to lose a lot of money.

restless
06-21-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I've found poker to be streaky. Luck through statistical variance. Only in the very short term though. In the long term it all averages out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The best thing though is that the streak is always exactly 1 hand long. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BlackRain
06-21-2005, 05:20 AM
I didn't read any of the comments yet. My thoughts are, I don't like the raise UTG PF. This is just a call imo. I like the flop bet, turn 3 bet is okay. River 3 bet is not good imo.

The guy got lucky playing a trash hand. There is nothing you can do about that. But what you could have done is saved yourself a few bets here. You are betting like you have the stone cold nuts, which you don't.

BlackRain
06-21-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

imo, you should always play the same whether running hot or cold. 86o and T7o are never playable hands.

Uppercut
06-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Against the kind of absolute maniac I am frequently seeing on Party micros these days (the kind who raises pre-flop with 84o and caps every street with junk), yes I cap every street on this hand with my flopped trips, especially if I am heads-up against the maniac. Again, these people will raise with ANYTHING, I guess because they get a rush out of bluffing someone off of a hand. I recently capped every street against a maniac with my trip Ks and won a huge pot. When I checked the hand history, it turns out he was re-raising me on every street (including pre-flop) with 6 high. You just got extremely unlucky that he actually had a monster this time.