PDA

View Full Version : Better value online tourney?

biggles
01-21-2003, 10:04 PM
I'm new to pokerstars, and they have 2 tournaments that I've been playing with success, but can't decide which is a better value:

9 players, $11 buy in: Top 3 paid ($45, 27, 18)

OR

18 players $11 buy in: Top 4 paid ($72, 54, 36, 18)

It would seem the single table ones are a better gamble. . .smaller % of players to beat to get paid, higher percentage of total prize pool to the winner. Am I wrong or missing something that makes the 2 table a better value?

biggles

lorinda
01-21-2003, 10:25 PM
The value depends on your veiwpoint.

Both tournaments take a rake of 9.1% so in terms of true value, they are the same.

It makes a big difference depending on what you are trying to achieve, to use some "standard" quoted winning player figures, a single table tourney has an ROI of around 50% and a full tourney around 100%.

At a total guess, this would put two table tourneys at around 60-70%

Now, the two table tourneys are more than 20-40% slower than the single table ones so your hourly rate will probably drop by playing them.

Also your deviation will be higher in these tourneys, so working from a modest roll compared to tourney entry, again you are better in the single tables.

However, If you are playing for fun, or are a losing player, then you can get a good run for your money, and a longer game out of the two table tourneys, and you only need to finish first or second once to cover a good session's gambling.

In terms of what you seem to percieve as value, remember that you need to finish first to get $50 in the single $11 tourneys, but you can finish top two to get the same prize OR GREATER with only twice as many runners.

So in terms of gamble, I would personally prefer the two tables, but in terms of grinding out a living, the singles would be better.

Lori

GrannyMae
01-22-2003, 02:40 AM
So in terms of gamble, I would personally prefer the two tables, but in terms of grinding out a living, the singles would be better.

excellent observation.

i have been playing the 33's, hoping for the bigger chunk if i win. however, i am 0-4. i have an awesome single table record. perhaps it is more realistic to go back to those

ohkanada
01-22-2003, 10:14 AM
I think the 2 table plays more like a small tourney where the 1 table is a pure satelite. I find since Pokerstars gives so many choices that the 1 table satelites rarely start so I will occasionally play the 2 table.

Ken Poklitar