PDA

View Full Version : Going To The River With Flopped Set?

DawnToDusk
06-20-2005, 09:10 PM
How many of you tend to redraw when you to the river when you know you are beaten (either on the flop or turn)? I just flopped a set of Jacks and bet out and got one caller. I knew the caller was fairly tight and I raised preflop. The turn brought a probable straight and I bet, he raised, I rereaised and he capped. I thought he might of hit a set as well on the turn but when he capped I knew he had a straight and knew it was the high one. But I drew to the river to try to pair the board which happened and I won.

But was the right idea? Should I of dropped cuse I knew I was beaten? I find myself doing that a lot when I flop sets. Drawing to the river to try to improve if I am behind.

toss
06-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Folding sets on the river is generally a bad play, but should happen sometimes. Post hand examples.

DawnToDusk
06-20-2005, 09:17 PM
I was thinking that too. Just something your gonna have to pay off huh?

Lemme see if I can dig up the hand.

mosta
06-20-2005, 09:22 PM
you're not asking about folding sets on the river, if I understand correctly. you're asking about calling the turn with sets when you are sure you're against a better made hand. in a word (in general): Yes, call those turns to draw. TEN OUTS.

ihardlyknowher
06-20-2005, 09:22 PM
You only need 3.6:1 to draw to a boat/quads. Easy call, every time.

milesdyson
06-20-2005, 09:24 PM
you're asking if you should have folded the turn to the cap because it meant he had a straight? should be a pretty easy exercise - count your outs and see if the pot is large enough to draw to 10 outs (it is).

CashFlo
06-20-2005, 09:52 PM
werd about all the pot odds and such.

also, I'd quote Lee Jones' "Winning Low Limit Hold'em", but I lent it to a friend. Regardless, he wrote something to the effect of: "If you never lost a lot of money while holding a set, you probably played it incorrectly".