PDA

View Full Version : Error in Mark Heide thinking

Ian
01-21-2003, 08:55 PM
In a post below, Mark Heide makes an error in judgement so serious that I thought it deserves a separate thread to set the record straight. He states: "It's like alcohol. It doesn't hurt you if you only indulge occasionally."

Actually, the medical record is now overwhelming that for most people it is far more healthy to indulge regularly in alchohol rather than just occasionally or not at all. The first studies on the subject concluded that regular consumption of red wine was beneficial. More recent studies (see the latest issue of The New England Journal of Medicine) make it clear that all alchohol consumption -- including, praise the lord, beer -- enhances health for most people.

An interesting note: what little publicity this wonderful news gets usually carries the modifier "in moderation, i.e. no more than two drinks a day." Actually, what the data shows is that the marginal health benefits of drinking are significantly positive up to two drinks a day. The marginal benefits turn slightly negative as you go over two drinks a day due to accidents, violence, etc. But it is important to note that this is a small marginal effect. In fact, it is far more healthy to have seven or eight drinks a day than to consume no alchohol at all.

It seems to me that the overall quality of life among our species can be greatly enhanced if these scientific findings were better understood (I myself have benefited greatly from the latest studies because for years I have felt guilty when having beer or white wine with dinner instead of red wine. Now, no more guilt for occassionally having fish for dinner instead of something that goes with red wine like steak!).

Mark Heide
01-21-2003, 10:15 PM
Ian,

I can't stop laughing when I read your statement,"In fact, it is far more healthy to have seven or eight drinks a day than to consume no alchohol at all." Who was the doctor that told you this?

Now, I don't want to get in an argument about alcohol studies since I am not a doctor, but go and sit in an AA meeting and tell me about what their members think.

Furthermore, I have heard the stories about these studies and it would be interesting to find out who is funding them.

Lastly, my statement refers to excessive use. If you get drunk every day, I can't see how healthy that could be.

Oh yeah, how about providing some links with specifics. Like the characteristics of the people in the study. From what I have heard the study only proves a link between alcohol and heart attacks. But, I'm curious if all the subjects were overwight, middle age, etc. These specifics are very important. For a study to be significant, you need participants with the same characteristics. For example, get 1000 participants that are white males, age 40 to 45, that are 40 pounds overwight. That would be a better study. From what I heard this has not been done.

Ask yourself this question. Why does the news media only report a sensational one liner stating alcohol is good for you? Who advertises on TV and radio?

Good Luck

Mark

Ray Zee
01-22-2003, 12:21 PM
ill roll around on the floor with you mark on this one. the studies actually said something that up to one drink a day had benefits and more didnt do much. at least the ones i heard. in any case all studies can be used to find a reason to substantiate some belief so you can continue your abuse of something.

scalf
01-22-2003, 12:26 PM
/forums/images/icons/grin.gif mark...
your real error was not putting all your cash on the back line...one decision...takes the winnings..(you were a certainty to see a seven out within 3 rolls at shoe)...then go play the big one in a couple weeks...gl /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Mark Heide
01-22-2003, 09:30 PM
scalf,

I believe I fixed the problem with my system. It is no longer for sale because it is too good. But, I will keep accurate records of hours played and profits and losses and report the results.

Don't forget what happens in the stock market when you put all your cash in one stock. Just ask former Enron employees.

Good Luck

Mark