PDA

View Full Version : "Trucker" hats on the PGA Tour

eric5148
06-20-2005, 08:44 PM
This is from "Ask Mr. Style" on page 82 of the July Golf Digest:

Q: I've seen a few PGA Tour players wearing those mesh "trucker" hats. Where can I get one?

A: This trend that actor Ashton Kuchar started a few summers ago is drifting slowly over to the tour. Jeff Maggert and Sergio Garcia have worn them. Try looking on the websites of younger driven brands like Callaway, Nike, and Adidas. The key word here is retro, so look for caps that are labeled as such in local golf stores.

Worst. Trend. Ever.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-20-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Worst. Trend. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.lovetoparty.co.nz/images/JA019%20Animal%20bracelet.jpg
http://images2.nordstrom.com/images/store/product/medium/135717.jpg
http://www.tattoo22.com/tr689.jpg

eric5148
06-20-2005, 08:57 PM
All three of those look MUCH better than DL3 wearing a mesh hat.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-20-2005, 09:03 PM
http://www.royalflushusa.com/i/All%20In%20Fashion/All_In_Big_Slick_Yellow_T_40%_size.jpg

Stickmn24
06-20-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Worst. Trend. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://golfnews.savannahnow.com/heritage/images/2002/full_parnevik.jpg

I'm not digging Jesper's hat.

Edit: Not that it's really a trend... just had to post it.

tylerdurden
06-21-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The shirt isn't anything to write home about, either.

mason55
06-21-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The shirt isn't anything to write home about, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better than Sergio's shirt this weekend.

crosse91
06-21-2005, 01:30 AM
you're all gay.

HDPM
06-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Yes, DLIII should have been asked to change. He looked awful.

The other bad one was Ryan Moore. His last tournament as an am and he was clearly pimping for Ping. I think he will show up at his first pro tournament with a Ping contract. The USGA needs to crack down. It was a sort of "retro" style too.

The style guy at golf digest isn't the one to ask. Style in golf should mean retro boring. As I posted before, Ben Hogan had perfect style, Jesper Parnevik does not. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

eric5148
06-21-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The USGA needs to crack down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crack down on what, exactly? Everyone knew Moore would turn pro soon. What difference does it make if he starts wearing the logo while he's still technically an amateur? Players can wear whatever logos they want. Trying to stop it would be an enormous waste of time.

[ QUOTE ]
Style in golf should mean retro boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just what the tour needs, less personality, and more robots.

Maybe they could have a John Tesh award every year for the most boring player. I've got my money on Stewart Cink to win this year.

Hogan's style fit his personality. Parnevik's style fits his. Trucker hats don't fit anyone, except maybe Stadler or Trevino.

Eurotrash
06-21-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The style guy at golf digest isn't the one to ask. Style in golf should mean retro boring. As I posted before, Ben Hogan had perfect style, Jesper Parnevik does not. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break. Jesper Parnevik's outfits bring a little life and lightheartedness into the game. His style is his own and it's fine.

This is my opinion on Ian Poulter as well. I think it was at last year's Open Championship that he wore those pants that looked like they were made from a Union Jack; they were awesome.

eric5148
06-21-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he wore those pants that looked like they were made from a Union Jack; they were awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm all for individuality, but those things were just obnoxiously ugly. He needs to toss those in the Eurotrash (pun intended).

Eurotrash
06-21-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm all for individuality, but those things were just obnoxiously ugly. He needs to toss those in the Eurotrash (pun intended).

[/ QUOTE ]

ZING! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

offTopic
06-21-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hogan's style fit his personality. Parnevik's style fits his. Trucker hats don't fit anyone, except maybe Stadler or Trevino.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dennis Paulson

http://golfnews.cjonline.com/bios/images/1210.jpg

Jerry Kelly

http://www.golfrankindex.com/photos/kelly_jerry/kelly_jerry001.jpg

...and, of course, JD.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/040223_daly3.jpg

JTrout
06-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Boo (http://www.golfdigest.com/features/index.ssf?/features/gd200203kindred.html) could pull off the look!

HDPM
06-21-2005, 06:45 PM
"Crack down on what, exactly? Everyone knew Moore would turn pro soon. What difference does it make if he starts wearing the logo while he's still technically an amateur? Players can wear whatever logos they want. Trying to stop it would be an enormous waste of time."

He is either an amateur or not. IMO if he had talked to Ping and knew he was going to go pro and then wore their stuff he should havee his amateur status taken away. And I think his exemption into the US Open was based on being an amateur. It is wrong that Ping got free advertising from an "amateur". The way too soft rules on amateur status now allow equipment companies to give ams stuff as long as no advertising is involved I think. But advertising is necessarily involved when an amateur who gets on TV is displaying logos. I think the USGA is way too soft on amateur status and needs to tighten things up Michelle Wie wearing Nike shirts I am 97% sure she did not pay for makes me sick. Amateurs should not be allowed to wear logos if they have not paid for the item themselves, at least if they are an amateur of national prominence who may be seen on TV. Yeah, I am an old school lunatic.

Also, I laugh when I go to a golf shop and see hats and visors with equipment logos on them. Why would I pay to wear an ugly hat that the companis have to pay the pros to wear. I don't buy them. I am buying plain hats or hats with a logo from the course in a pinch. I am not going to pimp for titleist or ping for free, not that anyone really cares what equipment I use. I don't get wanting to wear logos and IMO it is a fashion faux pas for an amateur to wear prominent logos.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-21-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I laugh when I go to a golf shop and see hats and visors with equipment logos on them. Why would I pay to wear an ugly hat that the companis have to pay the pros to wear. I don't buy them. I am buying plain hats or hats with a logo from the course in a pinch. I am not going to pimp for titleist or ping for free, not that anyone really cares what equipment I use. I don't get wanting to wear logos and IMO it is a fashion faux pas for an amateur to wear prominent logos.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't care about golf, but I agree wholeheartedly with this as it applies to life in general. The joe schmoe golfers wearing Ping or whatever other hats are just stupid. Same goes for the idiots with shirts saying Ambercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle, Independent, Hurley, Nike, or whatever else across their chest.

eric5148
06-21-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am buying plain hats or hats with a logo from the course in a pinch. I am not going to pimp for titleist or ping for free, not that anyone really cares what equipment I use.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would never pimp an equipment company logo, but you'd pimp a golf course logo? How is the golf course business different from the equipment business?

99% of clothing you buy has a logo on it. It might as well be of a business whose products you really like.

eric5148
06-21-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The joe schmoe golfers wearing Ping or whatever other hats are just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, it's just a goddamn hat. Are we all supposed to wear hats that say "aging graysfully" just because those are the only hats without logos?

HDPM
06-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Maybe because the golf course doesn't pay pros to wear the hat. If I need a hat, I'd rather it say "Goat Hills" than Cleveland or ping when I know the equipment companies pay people to wear the hat. Also, the logos are less ugly. The equipment companies design the logo to stand out and pimp the name. So they are uglier.

Anyway, the other day I played in a logo-free polo shirt from nordstrom, a logo free hat, and trousers with a small logo tag. You probably think I look like a geezer, but I don't mind. Better to age gracefully than look like a kid or pay to wear huge logos.

HDPM
06-21-2005, 08:39 PM
as I mentioned below, there is nothing wrong with dressing like an adult. The fact that kids can wear a backwards hat with logos does not mean that grown men should. I am neither 20 nor 80, but I'd rather err on the side of geezer.

eric5148
06-21-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe because the golf course doesn't pay pros to wear the hat. If I need a hat, I'd rather it say "Goat Hills" than Cleveland or ping when I know the equipment companies pay people to wear the hat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could care less about the reasons that other people wear them.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, the other day I played in a logo-free polo shirt from nordstrom, a logo free hat, and trousers with a small logo tag. You probably think I look like a geezer, but I don't mind. Better to age gracefully than look like a kid or pay to wear huge logos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok gramps, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Isn't it time for Matlock?