PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with this tough stretch...

boondockst
06-20-2005, 08:26 PM
I enjoy playing some SNGs on bodog and they have two options, a Turbo SNG and a standard one. The Turbos feature some horrid players but despite honestly getting all in with the best hand 80% of the time if not more, I win probably less than 30% of these situations. Should i be playing the standard tournaments and try to play more postflop or play the turbos and get it in with the best hand and hope it goes well? As we speak, my last 3 tournaments i've went out with JJ via (all in preflop each time)......

J /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif vs. K /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Flop:
2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Turn:
T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

River:
J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

my set of jacks loses to a king-high straight

J /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif vs. A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Flop:
2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Turn:
T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

River:
J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Again, a set of jacks (all in preflop, didn't push the river) is beaten by a one card queen-high straight.

J /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif vs. A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Flop:
8 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Turn:
9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

River:
8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

And of course a pair of jacks loses to trip 8s.

All of these beats happen relatively early in the tournaments, usually when the blinds are still only 50/100 with 6 or 7 players. If I win these, I become chip leader and probably make the money/win fairly easily. My question is, have any of you just ever seemed cursed for awhile? I've never had so many beats lately live and online combined. When i see the cards flip over it's like my dominating situations are coinflips and the supposed coinflips are situations where i'm dominated. It's tough enough to dodge aces and queens (from AQ) with JJ but having 8 9 T J roll out and similar crap in 3 straight tourneys (and days and days previous)

So what's the solution? How can I get confidence back? Yeah, I'll keep plunging into these but everytime i see the cards I laugh knowing i'm a heavy dog no matter what the cards are. I can't seem to ever get an opponent drawing dead...There's always some out, some way that if i hit my hand, it'll help him make his hand...If i didn't know better, i'd think this site was rigged....Fortunately it wasn't me but i just saw A9o all in PF vs. JJ and the board came KKxQQ...now there's something you don't see every day.......does this ever happen to anyone else (i mean like 100 straight tournaments of crazy crap) Local tournament buffoon calls my huge raise with AKs, board comes AJ7, we get all in he has AT and a T spikes the river. Next hand, he bluffs all in on a 89T flop with A5o and blows all the chips he sucked out from me. Same place, all in with AKs vs. JJ....AKxJT ends up being how it plays down. I don't question my ability but I find it hard to justify playing sometimes when it seems the "luck" of it (even if it doesn't exist) seems to be against me. There was a time when i'd see my AK vs. an AT and breathe a sigh of relief, now it's just a pained expectation of the suckout to come. I guess the only thing i'd feel comfortable about was KK vs. KQo.......Is this just the way poker goes? It seems really brutal the last few weeks...

Sabrazack
06-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Keep playing and deal with it, those werent even bad beats you posted. Just 50/50 60/40 situations. If you cant handle the beats go play chess /images/graemlins/smile.gif You just have to stop thinking that loosing in an ALL-IN situation is bad, you just have to start seeing it as variance knowing that it evens out over time (wish i could always do that).

4T25Q85
06-20-2005, 08:35 PM
switch to limit, if they draw out on you, youll still have chips left. These kind of beats are exactly the reason I switched, its tough when you push with QQ and have 53 call, only to flop 55x.

KingDan
06-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Quit with the [censored] bad beat posts. We do not want to hear it.

Gusti
06-20-2005, 08:39 PM
man, thats the sickest beats ive ever seen! I think you are just too unlucky to play poker, nobody can lose JJ like that 3 times! I dunno, but I really think your only chance is to get a talisman before you enter another SnG.

boondockst
06-20-2005, 08:55 PM
It's obviously a bad beat post.

Not a question of....should i dump the Turbo SNGs and go to traditional ones? and How can i restore confidence going into all-in situations..