PDA

View Full Version : The definition of sports.

jcmack13
06-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Here's how I would define it: A physical competition that can be scored objectively. This "objective scoring" qualifier makes things like track, soccer (scoring is objectively determined by comparing how many times a ball crosses the two goal thresholds) and other "traditional" sports count, but precludes things like competitive dancing, figure skating, gymnastics, and competitive ballet. I have no problem with those latter group being physical and competitive, but i hesitate to use the word "sport" for them. I think I just need another word to define the group of physical activities that are scored subjectively.

Also, my definition may need to be refined because it arguably precludes things like boxing matches decided by decision rather than knockout, and many have argued forcefully that gymnastics and synchronized swimming are sports.

I was just having a debate with the gf, and i could not concede that ballet was a sport. How can the word "sports" be accurately defined so that I am right? Or am I right at all?

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Of course every collection of at least 2 guys has had this discussion/debate. I don't remember where exactly we got the nit definitions from, but back in college, we finally came to this conclusion, at least for the nit's definitions:

Things like football, baseball, soccer, and other 'sports' are actually games, whereas true sports are things like track & field, archery, sailing, or speedskating (and golf, I guess). Sports are things where you compete 'against' nature - it's just you and the track or the target, whatever, going for the best time/score you can get. It's you against the elements. Things where you play against and interact with other people (football, baseball, etc.) are games.

This all came out of a debate over whether sailing was a sport or not. Much to our dismay, we had to concede that it was technically more of a sport than football or hockey.

BadBoyBenny
06-20-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can debate with the gf...