PDA

View Full Version : Turn raise semibluff?

bobhalford
06-20-2005, 06:46 PM
BB has TAG stats and button is loose-passive (47%/6%/.3)

I think there are few opportunities for this play, and this time, I said WTF, looks like a good spot. Raise, hope the TAG folds, afraid of the flush, and bet whatever comes on the river. Anyone like this line?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, Button calls.

River: (10.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

A_C_Slater
06-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Why are you calling on the flop? Are you hoping to catch a nine? It seems hitting an ace would be a mixed blessing as it's likely to be counterfeited by AK,AQ.

The semi-bluff check raise almost never works. Especially with two opponents.

flair1239
06-20-2005, 06:52 PM
I have been toying with this lately in different situations. Mainly for two reasons:

1) A lot more people seem to have adopted, the bet an iffy hand one more time on the turn then check the river line or fold to a checkraise.

2) I got sick of people folding to my Value checkraises.

I think this is a good spot except for the fact that the button is a major calling station. I think there is a good chance you were bluffing with the best hand.

However HU against a TAG...AND used judiciously..I think it is a good spot.

hellite
06-20-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why are you calling on the flop? Are you hoping to catch a nine? It seems hitting an ace would be a mixed blessing as it's likely to be counterfeited by AK,AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical weak tight comment. Semi-bluffs are a major part of hold'em. If you do not use them, you are not winning as much as you should (if you are winning at all). However, you must pick your spots. I'm not sure this is the best play here, but once you popped the turn, you need to follow through with a river bet. Of course, if you get raised on the river you should call with A high so everyone at the table thinks you are an absolute maniac and will pay you off the rest of your session. Of course, only try this at the beginning of your session otherwise its spewing /images/graemlins/grin.gif

A_C_Slater
06-20-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical weak tight comment. Semi-bluffs are a major part of hold'em. If you do not use them, you are not winning as much as you should (if you are winning at all). However, you must pick your spots. I'm not sure this is the best play here, but once you popped the turn, you need to follow through with a river bet. Of course, if you get raised on the river you should call with A high so everyone at the table thinks you are an absolute maniac and will pay you off the rest of your session. Of course, only try this at the beginning of your session otherwise its spewing /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say never semi-bluff. I said semi-bluff check-raises almost never work. They will almost certainly call you down. They all have a bias towards calling.

hellite
06-20-2005, 07:25 PM
"I didn't say never semi-bluff. I said semi-bluff check-raises almost never work. They will almost certainly call you down. They all have a bias towards calling. "

Players who never semi-bluff check raise are giving away way too much! Not to be abused, but if you never semi-bluff check raise you are getting the worst of it.

toss
06-20-2005, 07:31 PM
That doesn't mean he never does it. Semibluff checkraises have a lot of use HU in blind steal situations. Here however you got a freakin calling station in the hand and you only have A-high.

A_C_Slater
06-20-2005, 07:38 PM
I also object to your saying you should call on the river after check raise semi-bluffing the turn and then getting raised on the river so thay they will then see that you're a "maniac."

Most of the TAGs won't be watching at all because they are multitabling and the others may be distracted by wife, kids, TV, drunk, whatever.

And most of them simply won't think anything about it at all.

jstewsmole
06-20-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Players who never semi-bluff check raise are giving away way too much! Not to be abused, but if you never semi-bluff check raise you are getting the worst of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the normal 2/4 party ur not giving anything away. They dont think as much if at all. Save the more sophisticated plays for at least 3/6 and higher.

U could make an argument to use it in this spot i suppose.

I think u shouldve gotten away from this hand on the flop. For reasons stated in an earlier post.

hellite
06-20-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At the normal 2/4 party ur not giving anything away. They dont think as much if at all. Save the more sophisticated plays for at least 3/6 and higher.

U could make an argument to use it in this spot i suppose.

I think u shouldve gotten away from this hand on the flop. For reasons stated in an earlier post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this advice at all. Staements like "players hardly think at party 2/4" are retarded. You don't play the game, you play the player. So, of course, you could have gotten away from this hand against a terrible player. This play will work immediately or gain you action in the future against good players. While there are tons of terrible players at party 2/4, there are also very good players. You need to decipher between the two. By the way, party 3/6 has plenty of terrible players also.

A_C_Slater
06-20-2005, 08:25 PM
But if they're good players the they're not going to completely alter the way they played against you because of what they saw in this one hand. They will still have stats on you that say whether you're a TAG or a "real" maniac. You can't fool pokertracker.

And the ones that don't have pokertracker probably won't see your call down with ace high beause they are multitabling and not watching the showdown. And those that aren't multitabling or don't have pokertracker may make a note on it, but they won't consider you a maniac after they've seen you play a few more hands and thus they won't "pay you off" more.

And like I said earlier the bad players simply won't think anything of it at all.

hellite
06-21-2005, 03:04 PM
In reply to Mr. Slater:

I don't really disagree with what you are saying. A couple points though: Not everybody uses pt. The most important: I am not really worried or trying to maximize my profits from people using PT and multitabling, although I think I am getting the best of them if they are multitabling and not paying close attention to the action at the table. The true idiots at these tables definitely do notice when you try to bluff them out of pots and get caught. Nobody likes being bluffed out of pots, but bad players take it personally. When you are busted, you will get action from these weaker players in the future. This happens nearly every session I play. Of course, sooner or later they start noticing that you are showing down strong hands and you don't get as much action. That is the nature of the game.

The good player who simply shrugs off your check raise bluff and pure bluff on the river and does not pay you off in the future is too good - to be avoided(there are very few of these players).