PDA

View Full Version : OK, let me see if I have this whole calcutta thing straight...

Daliman
06-20-2005, 05:36 PM
1. Players bid on other players or themselves, and bidding is unlimited upward.

2. However much $$$ is in the total pool goes to the person who "owns" the winner.

If this is true, is this a single-payout only?

Also, if I have this right, then market value is going to be in constant flux as the total prize pool is changed, correct? In other words, lets say I have an actual 10% chance to win(WAY low /images/graemlins/wink.gif). If I were to have the high bid on myself, as long as it was for less than 10% of the total prize pool, it is +EV, and if my bid is over 10% of the total prize pool, then it is -EV. All of this could/does change as other bids are entered. Does all this sound right?

Also, when does this close, and when is the $$$ due?

If these specific questions have already been answered, eh, I been busy.

skipperbob
06-20-2005, 05:49 PM
O.K. BirdBrain...Boy do I wish I knew how to post a link so that I could direct you to my original, all-inclusive, explictly-detailed, well-spoken and perfectly-crafted discussion....Anyway, Yes, it is a single payout unless you go partners with somebody and/or decide to split it with your Horse....Unlike the Blind Draw Calcutta (basically a raffle) the "Live Auction Calcutta" invites a participant to bid on any player...The bidder can bid any amount he/she chooses with the single qualifyier being that it must be at least $50 more that latest bid....Since I started the whole deal by me paying $100/each for all the players, there was, at that point, $1600 in the pool(all my dollars)...There have already been several new bidders...GrekeHaus went to the trouble to create a website which shows & tracks all bids...Don't worry, nobody will bid on you...Actually the darkhorse value-steal is Yugo which I will reluctantly sell (today only) for my original cost of $100 /images/graemlins/confused.gif

skipperbob
06-20-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if I have this right, then market value is going to be in constant flux as the total prize pool is changed, correct? In other words, lets say I have an actual 10% chance to win(WAY low ). If I were to have the high bid on myself, as long as it was for less than 10% of the total prize pool, it is +EV, and if my bid is over 10% of the total prize pool, then it is -EV. All of this could/does change as other bids are entered. Does all this sound right?

Also, when does this close, and when is the $$$ due?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes "market value" will change (always upwardly) on a regular basis...You can bet that the action will get "heated" toward the end.

No $$$$ due until the auction closes which will be just prior to "cards in the air"

BTW - No matter what the size of the pool or what you have paid to buy "yourownself" it is still "-EV"...You have no (zero) chance to win this thing...As a matter of fact I'm thinking of holding-out my Yugo purchase until the last minute and then trading it even for 2 Dali's /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Daliman
06-20-2005, 06:07 PM
So, in other words, exactly what I said, except for the splitting part.

Yeah, for someone who's never heard of or done this, I'm quite the birdbrain FOR FIGURING IT OUT EXACTLY!

STFU SFB!

Daliman
06-20-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
O.K. BirdBrain...Boy do I wish I knew how to post a link so that I could direct you to my original, all-inclusive, explictly-detailed, well-spoken and perfectly-crafted discussion....Anyway, Yes, it is a single payout unless you go partners with somebody and/or decide to split it with your Horse....Unlike the Blind Draw Calcutta (basically a raffle) the "Live Auction Calcutta" invites a participant to bid on any player...The bidder can bid any amount he/she chooses with the single qualifyier being that it must be at least $50 more that latest bid....Since I started the whole deal by me paying $100/each for all the players, there was, at that point, $1600 in the pool(all my dollars)...There have already been several new bidders...GrekeHaus went to the trouble to create a website which shows & tracks all bids...Don't worry, nobody will bid on you...Actually the darkhorse value-steal is Yugo which I will reluctantly sell (today only) for my original cost of $100 /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I already have the site, btw, tyvm.

EHOT?

skipperbob
06-20-2005, 06:12 PM
You may have the "site", but you don't own yourownself anymore; check it out /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Daliman
06-20-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You may have the "site", but you don't own yourownself anymore; check it out /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

BTW - No matter what the size of the pool or what you have paid to buy "yourownself" it is still "-EV"...You have no (zero) chance to win this thing...As a matter of fact I'm thinking of holding-out my Yugo purchase until the last minute and then trading it even for 2 Dali's

[/ QUOTE ]

Daliman $200 by SkipperBob on June 20, 6:09pm
Make Bid/View Bid History

Well, this means one of three things.
#1 SFB thinks I have a better-than-normal chance to win this thing.
#2 SFB is coocoo for cocoa puffs
#3 SFB has a crush on me,(age before beauty, Yugo).

Ok, so it means 3 of 3 things.
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

skipperbob
06-20-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, this means one of three things

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
actually it doesn't mean any of the above; I have participated in many Calcuttas (mostly golf, but other contests as well) and I have learned that all the participants have a higher estimate of their own abilities than the pure odds....Additionally, as I add $$$ to your price, or Yugo's for that matter, the "pot odds" for all the others increase...So what do they do??..You guess it!
Now, for the sake of entertainment, let's add Dr.Alcohol to the mix, shake, add a sprig of Mint, whadaya Have...A $10,000 prize pool to whoever happens to "own" the winner of a $8,000 tournament.

I went to a 24-man golf outing a few weeks ago where a 2-man team could win $6,000 if they swept the Board. The Calcutta pool was $32,000 /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Daliman
06-20-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, this means one of three things

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
actually it doesn't mean any of the above; I have participated in many Calcuttas (mostly golf, but other contests as well) and I have learned that all the participants have a higher estimate of their own abilities than the pure odds....Additionally, as I add $$$ to your price, or Yugo's for that matter, the "pot odds" for all the others increase...So what do they do??..You guess it!
Now, for the sake of entertainment, let's add Dr.Alcohol to the mix, shake, add a sprig of Mint, whadaya Have...A $10,000 prize pool to whoever happens to "own" the winner of a $8,000 tournament.

I went to a 24-man golf outing a few weeks ago where a 2-man team could win $6,000 if they swept the Board. The Calcutta pool was $32,000 /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

SFB, I have seen the light, and it is good. From this day forth, I will be looking to make calcutta bets in everythig i do! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

iMsoLucky0
06-20-2005, 07:01 PM
What is a link to the site? I've been gone.

Daliman
06-20-2005, 07:16 PM
http://nonninja.net/~bstanton/calcutta/

PM GrekeHaus for name and pw info