PDA

View Full Version : Synergy - simply unreal free desktop sharing thingy

teddyFBI
06-20-2005, 05:28 PM
I can't take credit for finding this: someone on the OOT page directed me to it, but it's pretty much the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

I have a dual 2001fp setup and also a laptop, and had gotten sick of controlling the desktop/2001fps with my wireless optical mouse and keyboard, and then having to switch over to the laptop's mouse and keyboard.

Synergy basically lets you control as many computers as you want on a shared network with just one keyboard and mouse (for me it's my wireless optical setup).
So basically, I can now glide the mouse pointer downward off my 2 2001fps screens and it glides RIGHT onto my laptop screen as if it were one mega desktop. The keyboard controls whichever computer the mouse pointer is currently on. It's honestly amazing.
It also somehow shares a copy/past clipboard, meaning I can copy text from my laptop with Ctrl-C, then drift the mouse up to my desktop screen(s) and Ctrl-V paste it into a document. Haven't used that feature yet, but it's cool nonetheless.

Thank me later.

MiguelSanchez
06-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Wow - thanks for the info. Really cool program, I probably won't start multi-tabling even more now but I'll certainly use it when I need use 3 or more screens for work.

Too bad you can't drag and drop files...