PDA

View Full Version : wsop $1000 stud/8 event

Nick_Foxx
06-20-2005, 04:18 PM
trace one (mark) and i played in the $1000 buy-in stud/8 event at the rio last wednesday... there were 595 entrants total, which probably made it the largest stud/8 event ever...

the wsop people were kind enough to add an extra round to the beginning of the tournament... it was originally scheduled to start at 30/60 limits, which with $1000 in checks is obviously not much... so they added a 15/30 level... each round lasted an hour and there was a 15 minute break after every 2 rounds

i had built up my starting stack to about $1300 when near the end of the second round, i lost about a third of my stack when my trip deuces did not hold up against trip treys

after the break, i was doing a lot of folding but managed to work my stack back up to around $1200... then in the fourth round, i got dealt rolled up fives... suffice it to say that when the hand was over, i had about $150 in chips left and i was forced to put them in with the next decent hand i got

goddam rolled-up fives

mike

ps: my friend mark lasted 'til after the dinner break but was busted when barry greenstein drew out a flush on his trip queens

mscags
06-20-2005, 04:59 PM
At least you went out knowing that you played well. Nice job. It must be awesome just in and of itself playing in a WSOP event.

greenage
06-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the report.

What did you think about the level of competition and with hour-long rounds, did you feel a lot of pressure from the structure?

Nick_Foxx
06-20-2005, 06:18 PM
i had never played a live stud/8 tournament before... generally speaking, play was a lot tighter than i am used to (in low limit ring games both live and on-line), with hands usually heads up or 3-handed by 4th street... it was rare to be able to see 4th st for just the bring in, it was almost always completed and sometimes 2- and 3-bet on 3rd st...

so the players were tighter and more aggressive, but i would not say particularly intimidating for anyone who has played a a lot of hands... it's a limit game, so that factor is definitely attenuated

as for the rounds, i never felt like they were moving too fast or anything... an hour of 15/30 starting off with 1000 tournament checks sounds very reasonable to me

mike

greenage
06-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback Mike.

I hope I can make it out there next year.

DeadMoneyOC
06-20-2005, 08:32 PM
I was happy for the players that they added that extra level. Thanks for the report. GL

BeerMoney
06-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Will you play in the 5k 7 stud buy in on Weds?