PDA

View Full Version : Half-blind holdem

kirisim
01-21-2003, 02:13 PM
In a holdem game where the blinds are half what they normally are (i.e. 40-80 limit with $10 SB and $20 BB, $20 to go, $60 to complete), what would be the preflop strategy adjustments? I suspect it would be:

1)Limp with a few more speculative hands from late position, like 67 suited after 1 limper
2)Open Raise with more hands because opponents will be getting a worse price to defend blinds, and conversely
3)Defend blinds less because you are only getting a little more than 2-1, instead of 3.5-1

Homer
01-21-2003, 04:33 PM
This is similar to the 1-4-8-8 structure that is discussed on occasion on the small stakes forum. I suggest you search the archives and read through some of those threads. Good luck...

-- Homer

02-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Jim Brier had an article about that structure (at $4-8) at Card Player, but I don't remember when, I just a day ago read it again. The story is that you are not supposed to call too much when it gets raised after you, as you would do in the normal structure. Also your pot odds are worse on streets, and you should adjust accordingly; and if your opponents are calling stations, it's then more profitable than the normal structure. You should steal less as open-raise, but anyway do it with your good hands, but he would doubt to open-raise with JT even from the button.

Dynasty
02-02-2003, 06:36 PM
I thought article by Jim was atrocious. It was loaded with very bad advice. If you want details, there was a thread about it in Small Stakes a couple weeks after the magazine came out.