PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Greg Raymer

Burdzthewurd
06-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Not sure if anyone else has been contacted by them about the "Faces of Poker" documentary in the works, but would like to ask if anyone else has been approached by them as well. I've been in talks with a producer and she's been very understanding and chill as well. She's told me she's had interviews with Cindy Violette, Puggy Pearson and Mr. Raymer himself. If you yourself Greg or anyone else has talked with them, let me know, reply or PM. Take care.

Bosyn
06-20-2005, 02:30 PM
He may not be able to reply, depending on confidentiality agreements.

Greg (FossilMan)
06-21-2005, 01:59 AM
Yes, they came to my house in CT and interviewed me, as well as filming me playing online and live at Foxwoods. All went well, and they are supposed to set up a further interview here in LV during the WSOP.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

TheBeat
06-21-2005, 02:55 AM
Post deleted by Dynasty

prana
06-21-2005, 03:05 AM
Post deleted by Dynasty

astroglide
06-21-2005, 03:12 AM
i don't know much about greg or mean any disparagement - he seems like a nice guy and a good player. it is my understanding that he was backed though, so it seems unlikely to me that he was playing in (let alone winning) 300/600 games before his wsop success.

prana
06-21-2005, 03:42 AM
he has stated previously this is how he became the poker player he is now. I'm pretty sure he states this on the ESPN final table commentary although i may be wrong I am pretty sure it was from this show.

LLKOOLK1
06-21-2005, 04:32 AM
Post deleted by Dynasty

benneh
06-21-2005, 05:08 AM
backed?

he won a satty into the wsop, i thought. are we counting that as being backed?

ohgeetee
06-21-2005, 07:03 AM
He wasn't fully backed, and the backing he did have was from many people here at 2+2, and friends I believe. No one said he played 300/600 before his WSOP success, but that he started small and worked his way up. He has posted here many times, and said in interviews that he started with a $1000 Bankroll that he helped replenish and grow via selling fossil card covers to other players along with eventually becoming a winning player.

His posts here in the past and present show that he is a student of the game and an excellent player, and for the results oriented, you can compare his pre and post WSOP ME win tourney stats with actual "forgettables."

Robert Varkonyi
http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=469

Chris Moneymaker
http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=18826

Greg Raymer
http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=7955

soah
06-21-2005, 07:38 AM
In the current 2+2 magazine he mentions working his way from 3-6 hold'em to 150-300 mixed games.

irish79
06-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Post deleted by Dynasty

eastbay
06-21-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
backed?

he won a satty into the wsop, i thought. are we counting that as being backed?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the zillionth time, Greg's backing agreement included all of his action up to and including the WSOP ME.

eastbay

SL__72
06-21-2005, 11:26 AM
With no knowledge of the situation... my guess would be that "backing" is the wrong word here. Since he won the seat through an online qualifier I sincerely doubt he was "backed." He probably sold percentages of his play ...

r2p
06-21-2005, 12:58 PM
I would imagine that given the size of the WSOP fields the odds of anyone repeating would be difficult.

Zetack
06-21-2005, 12:59 PM
I could have some of the details wrong, but I believe Raymer's backing deal was that a consortium of folks pooled together a substantial amount of money, something on the order of a 100K to provide his bankroll.

For their trouble they got half of Raymer's winnings for a year.

The primary purpose, if I understand it, was to allow Greg to play in a lot of higher buy in tourneys.

He did indeed qualify for the WSOP through an online satellite but this was part of the blanket coverage of all his play with the backing agreement.

If Greg reads this, I hope I haven't screwed up the details too badly, and I presume since I have some awareness of it, that I'm not giving away any State secrets.

--Zetack

Greg (FossilMan)
06-21-2005, 01:06 PM
It was about half that amount, with me putting up 1/3 of the money, and the backers 2/3. If we lost money, we lost equally. If we won, I got 35% for being the player, and then the 65% was split equally. Each share originally cost $500, and ended up being worth more than $36,000. Prior to the big win, each share was worth about $600.

Zetack
06-21-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was about half that amount, with me putting up 1/3 of the money, and the backers 2/3. If we lost money, we lost equally. If we won, I got 35% for being the player, and then the 65% was split equally. Each share originally cost $500, and ended up being worth more than $36,000. Prior to the big win, each share was worth about $600.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info Greg.

Out of curiousity, did you all end the agreement after the WSOP or did you let it run to the end of whatever term you had agreed upon?

--Zetack

Razorbet
06-21-2005, 01:52 PM
I have recently started to read some trip reports that I have found on the net, some dating back to 1999. I believe if any of the amateurs, like TheBeat want to ever pursue a succesful poker life, Raymer is the guy to copy. I am fairly certain that this is how I plan to become a succesful poker player.

I agree, you will be hearing Greg Raymers name for a long time to come.

Also, does anyone know of any decent sites for trip reports? Could be Raymers or just anyones poker trip reports. I think that you can learn so much just from reading these.

Razor

TomHimself
06-21-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have recently started to read some trip reports that I have found on the net, some dating back to 1999. I believe if any of the amateurs, like TheBeat want to ever pursue a succesful poker life, Raymer is the guy to copy. I am fairly certain that this is how I plan to become a succesful poker player.

I agree, you will be hearing Greg Raymers name for a long time to come.

Also, does anyone know of any decent sites for trip reports? Could be Raymers or just anyones poker trip reports. I think that you can learn so much just from reading these.

Razor

[/ QUOTE ]
alot of trip reports are posted here /images/graemlins/smile.gif. negraneu,arieh,raymer and many other pros have reports. zeejustin.com has a good report too

Miggo
06-21-2005, 02:27 PM
If I can sneak a question in here, along with a comment for Mr. Raymer. I think it's really cool that you post here and open up as much as you do. I for one enjoy the insight and perspective you put on things and give us an idea on how some things really are.

Now if I can pester you with a question. I've heard different things people have said, but I always wonder what type of things you were taking notes on while you were playing. Were they just notes about your play or were they notes about others? Did you record all your hands and how you acted from whatever position and the outcome? I was just really curious. Also, if you can remember of an example of something you noted at a critical time and share it with us.

Thanks much, and good luck in the future.

kutuz_off
06-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Since you answer obvious trolls (I wish you didn't), I might as well ask this. I thought Marcel Luske's antics were hilarious and rather good natured on the last 3 episodes of WSOP'04. At the same time, you looked quite displeased with him. Is he more annoying than TV reveals (any details?) or is it just a bad read of your expression on my part?

eMarkM
06-21-2005, 05:51 PM
He has stated in the past that the agreement ended at the conclusion of the ME.

Greg (FossilMan)
06-22-2005, 12:40 AM
A misread. I like Marcel, and was never really annoyed by him or his antics at any time. Occasionally it is a bit much, but not very often, and not by too much.

Ond
06-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Marcel is extremely entertaining to watch. He is an amazing player. He looked very tired the last few hours of his WSOP04 run though, and he almost seemed relieved when he finally lost to.. Harrington was it?

That said, I think Greg is a great player too. He played pretty aggressive the entire tournament, and was among the top stacks for most of it.

Burdzthewurd
06-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Hope you aren't implying I'm a troll Kusutz, just a question, I rarely even post in this section

kutuz_off
06-22-2005, 02:52 PM
No, Burdzthewurd, I wasn't referring to your question. I meant another thread that involved Gred saying word "pwned".

Ulysses
06-22-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With no knowledge of the situation... my guess would be that "backing" is the wrong word here. Since he won the seat through an online qualifier I sincerely doubt he was "backed." He probably sold percentages of his play ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is classic. Someone w/ clear knowledge of the situation says what happened. Then someone else who even admits they have no idea, decides to try and correct that person. Awesome.

MrMon
06-23-2005, 02:44 AM
I know he's already answered, but for future reference, the details are all here, Question #8.

Fossilman Web Site FAQs (http://www.fossilmanpoker.com/faqs.htm)