PDA

View Full Version : NL player making the switch to limit

redrooski24
06-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Hey guys, first post in this forum since I mainly dwell in SSNL. Anyway, I have been successful playing NL200 but think I should expand my game and learn to play other forms of poker besides NLHE and figured that LHE would be a good start to learning a 2nd game. I've got about 5k hands of 2/4 in PT right now with a winrate of 1.6bb/100(somewhat disapointing compared to my NL winrate I must admit). Unforunately, I have no clue how this matches up to what a good solid players rate should be and would like to get some insight into that along with the other limit essentials /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think one of my biggest difficulties in limit is not being able to fold for that one last river bet or not getting rid of my hand on the turn when I'm fairly sure I'm beat but disregarding my read. I feel that one of my better skills as a player is reading people and putting them on hands and in NL it can be the difference between getting someones stack or losing yours. In limit though, I just keep thinking oh it's only one more bet, etc etc and I feel like I'm chip spewing. I know that folding on the river can be a huge mistake since if you're wrong you lose tons of BB as opposed to the 1 you lose if you have the 2nd best hand. Anyway, this thing is an overdrawn introduction already but any insight into the minds of you limit folk would be great. Thanks.

__Q__
06-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Don't worry about spewing for one bet on the river. If its one bet to see a showdown, and there is any chance that you have the best hand, then you usually have the right odds to call.

1.6 BB/hour is a nice start for your first 5000 hands. Its not unusual to lose or break even for 5000 hands and still be a long term winning player. 2 BB per hour is good, but a higher winrate than that over the long term is certainly doable.