PDA

View Full Version : Cereal Cafes

RacersEdge
06-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Anyone been here? I think it sounds great, but I'm a cereal freak.

http://www.cereality.com/exp_menu.php

jakethebake
06-20-2005, 01:51 PM
i saw this on tv awhile back. i can't imagine what they'd have to charge for a bowl of cereal to make their rent, but considering cereal is pretty much the only meal cheaper than ramen i think the mark-up will have to be insane. i don't think i could pay that for cereal.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Similar things must have been said about Starbucks when it was first coming up. I'm predicting this to be all the rave with the hipsters and soon, all the sheep (85% of America) be paying $8+ for a bowl of Lucky Charms in a small cafe with crappy CDs and wireless internet.

jakethebake
06-20-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Similar things must have been said about Starbucks when it was first coming up. I'm predicting this to be all the rave with the hipsters and soon, all the sheep (85% of America) be paying $8+ for a bowl of Lucky Charms in a small cafe with crappy CDs and wireless internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are couple of problems with the comparison. 1) Starbucks coffee is better than like 90% of other coffee. This place isn't giving people anything they don't get in their kitchen breakfast nook. 2) I think most people buy their coffee to go. I can imagine people trying to eat a bowl of cereal while driving to work, or rushing down the sidewalk to a meeting.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-20-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are couple of problems with the comparison. 1) Starbucks coffee is better than like 90% of other coffee. This place isn't giving people anything they don't get in their kitchen breakfast nook. 2) I think most people buy their coffee to go. I can imagine people trying to eat a bowl of cereal while driving to work, or rushing down the sidewalk to a meeting.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sell it in a cup that you drink it out of, like that new soup crap. FWIW, I think this is nasty.

jakethebake
06-20-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sell it in a cup that you drink it out of, like that new soup crap. FWIW, I think this is nasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not familiar. A few years ago, Campbells was talking about soup kiosks in all the malls. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Smarty
06-20-2005, 04:39 PM
They have one on campus where I go to school. A lot of people I talked to thought it was really dumb, tried it, and were hooked. I personally haven't ever gotten anything there but some of the mixes look pretty good.

RacersEdge
06-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Looking into crystal ball...

I'm seeing you at Arizona State?

Eurotrash
06-20-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looking into crystal ball...

I'm seeing you at Arizona State?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, this is funny

blatz
06-20-2005, 05:19 PM
If this idea flies, I'm opening up my own dream place, selling nothing but Wonder bread with the crust cut off, completely shmushed and shaped into cubes. That's good eating.

Blarg
06-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Portable soup is a great idea. The problem is Campbell's soups are so friggin nasty it's beyond belief. And the price on them is unbelievable. It's like they quadrupled the price just because they put it in a taller thinner plastic bottle. It doesn't matter how high you stack poop, either, it's still poop.

tbach24
06-20-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A menu with infinite choices. Literally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe them.

Smarty
06-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Good try, except my school is very cold.

istewart
06-21-2005, 01:49 PM
I love cereal too, and this is two blocks away from my dorm. It sucks. It looks like a lot of fun on the outside I guess, but it's overpriced and very gay.

stankybank
06-21-2005, 01:58 PM
No place in CA that has this.

I would check it out though if I happen to be near one. It appears pretty cool.

jakethebake
06-21-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No place in CA that has this.

I would check it out though if I happen to be near one. It appears pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think "cool" is the right word to describe this?

Eurotrash
06-21-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and this is two blocks away from my dorm.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha.

asofel
06-21-2005, 04:29 PM
"95% of Americans like cereal. 57% like sex. We've got cereal".

They obviously didn't poll OOT.

ddubois
06-21-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This place isn't giving people anything they don't get in their kitchen breakfast nook.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it sounds like they are doing blends, like a Coldstone does. The most I've ever done to customize my own cereal is add some sort of fruit, or pour my bowl from two boxes. Having the option of mix and matching, for instance, granola with rice flakes with wheat puffs with blueberries with bananas could be enough value added there to induce a sale, particularly if some schlep does the mixing for you thus boosting the conveinance factor. I wouldn't pay for such a thing, because I'm pretty much a cheapskate, but I can see it happening.

handsome
06-21-2005, 05:02 PM
"A menu with infinite choices. Literally."

Someone should go in there and give the webmaster a sweet dragon kick square in the chin for misuse of the english language.

jakethebake
06-21-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This place isn't giving people anything they don't get in their kitchen breakfast nook.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it sounds like they are doing blends, like a Coldstone does. The most I've ever done to customize my own cereal is add some sort of fruit, or pour my bowl from two boxes. Having the option of mix and matching, for instance, granola with rice flakes with wheat puffs with blueberries with bananas could be enough value added there to induce a sale, particularly if some schlep does the mixing for you thus boosting the conveinance factor. I wouldn't pay for such a thing, because I'm pretty much a cheapskate, but I can see it happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have like 5 boxes of different cereals in my kitchen cabinet. I can mix them myself. I'm pretty sure I could do it quicker than I could drive over there and pay some 16 year-old kid $6 to do for me.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-21-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have like 5 boxes of different cereals in my kitchen cabinet. I can mix them myself. I'm pretty sure I could do it quicker than I could drive over there and pay some 16 year-old kid $6 to do for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
What kind of tip do you leave for this? How about if you get a frequent retart card that gives you a free bowl after you buy 5?

bronzepiglet
06-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Yes, always amusing (or irritating) when "literally" is used in an instance where something is either definitely figurative, a hyperbole, or where one needn't convince anyone you're making a literal statement.

This may just be an inaccurate assessment of infinity, of course...

ddubois
06-21-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good for you, you win the prize. Anyone sufficiently motivated could probably make coffee they enjoy as much as Starbucks'. Anyone sufficiently motivated could possess and mix a variety of ice cream ingrediants to their liking. But the average person still goes to Starbucks and Coldstone and pays $6 to some 16 year old for these products, so I bet they would do the same for cereal rather than pull a jake and keep 5 boxes and try to mix them together.

jakethebake
06-22-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good for you, you win the prize. Anyone sufficiently motivated could probably make coffee they enjoy as much as Starbucks'. Anyone sufficiently motivated could possess and mix a variety of ice cream ingrediants to their liking. But the average person still goes to Starbucks and Coldstone and pays $6 to some 16 year old for these products, so I bet they would do the same for cereal rather than pull a jake and keep 5 boxes and try to mix them together.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no idea what a coldstone is but making starbuycks coffee requires slightly more than it takes to mix your two favforite cereals.