PDA

View Full Version : Red State vs Blue State

TomCollins
06-20-2005, 01:00 PM
http://img183.echo.cx/img183/7080/marij2xe.th.jpg (http://img183.echo.cx/my.php?image=marij2xe.jpg)

http://img183.echo.cx/img183/7669/pe20045dr.th.png (http://img183.echo.cx/my.php?image=pe20045dr.png)

MMMMMM
06-20-2005, 01:29 PM
...ever wondered why those states vote Democrat? wonder no more

El Barto
06-20-2005, 01:44 PM
They did a Father's day poll, asking who do you think is the better father?

Results:

George Bush 38%

Bill Clinton 37%

and the state results were pretty much in line with the red/blue split.

Personally, I think Bill would be better, at least if you want to tap into his sex and dating advice.

TomCollins
06-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Which George Bush?

I could see GHWB as a 50's TV style father.

El Barto
06-20-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which George Bush?

[/ QUOTE ]

The current President.

[ QUOTE ]

I could see GHWB as a 50's TV style father.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is more of a grandfather now.

TomCollins
06-20-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

He is more of a grandfather now.

[/ QUOTE ]

So will GWB after I have my way with his twins. You can't lose. If you are a Bush fan, you have your ties to the family. If you hate him, you knocked up his daughters. Doesn't get any better than that.

JackWhite
06-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Why are the Bush states blue in that map?

kurto
06-20-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...ever wondered why those states vote Democrat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Smarter and more informed people.

JackWhite
06-20-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not exactly. It is a strange situation on how education levels play into voting patterns. Most people with advanced degrees vote for Democrats; however, most high school drop-outs vote for Democrats.

Democrats receive 90% of the black vote. Unfortunately, those voters tend to be less well educated than the population at large. So, there are a lot of qualifiers to your theory.

slamdunkpro
06-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Interesting trivia about this..

Before 2000 Republican states were represented in blue and Democrat states were done in red. Somewhere someone did a focus group study and determined that Blue was a “positive” color and Red was a “negative” and therefore less trustworthy. The media then switched the colors for the 2000 presidential election.

True story! Can you say media bias boys and girls?

AKQJ10
06-20-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
True story!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I distinctly remember in either 1980 or 1984, Tom Brokaw pointing out on election night coverage that they'd decided to reverse the colors because Reagan, Republican and red all started with the same letters. Not to say that this became the new standard, but that there wasn't a long-established standard beforehand.

kurto
06-20-2005, 04:20 PM
I was just being flippant. Though when I read a lot of the posts here, there's a lot of anecdotal evidence to support my position.

Regarding being informed... according to a recent study, the Blue States that get their news from Fox, are definitely misinformed.

Regarding this thread (pot)-
There are a lot of conclusions one could make (some serious, some silly) based on the two maps:
(1) Perhaps the coastal states just have better access to weed.
(2) Perhaps they're more likely to admit the truth.
(3) Perhaps they have more money to spend on recreational drugs
(4) Maybe the people who aren't smoking weed just prefer killing brain cells with alcohol?
(5) Maybe they're just lucky that they've been open-minded enough to try it?
(6) Maybe more youths flock to the coasts?
(7) Maybe (at least in CA), there are more sick people who take it for relief
(8) Maybe the coasts just know better how to have a good time?

Of note: Looking closely- the difference in users is only 5-10 percent from the highest to the lowest users. (there is no 0%)

Finally- the original poster draws no conclusions. We all knew immediately that someone would think this meant one side was better then the other. Though nothing about it really indicates that (IMO).

If I remember correctly, the Blue States have more alcoholism. But I don't think that has anything to do with why they vote the way they do. Different people, different drugs.

TomCollins
06-20-2005, 04:28 PM
OP saw the map in a news story, thought it looked similar to Red State/Blue State, and thought it was funny.

OP did not vote for GWB or John Kerry.

thatpfunk
06-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Who knew there were so many potheads in Alaska?

TomCollins
06-20-2005, 05:27 PM
What else is there to do there? I'm more shocked by how little is being used in Nebraska and Kansas.

Greg J
06-20-2005, 05:33 PM
I want to see a map that targets crystal meth use per capita compared to the red/blue map.

slamdunkpro
06-20-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not at all

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about Browka, but my uncle was in the CBS meeting in 2000 when the switch was made based on the study results.

trippin bily
06-20-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just being flippant. Though when I read a lot of the posts here, there's a lot of anecdotal evidence to support my position.

Regarding being informed... according to a recent study, the Blue States that get their news from Fox, are definitely misinformed.

[/ QUOTE ]
kurto if the red state folkswatched FOX maybe they could win an election
Seriously, Fox just added Wesley Clark to its team.Geraldo, Greta, Alan colmes. More liberals come on FOX and get to speak than one would believe.
With the exception of Oreilly and Hannity FOX is very balanced.
Those 2 are opinion guys.
iF YOU WANT TO TRULLY BE MISINFORMED AND PART OF THE LOONEY LEFT, GET YOUR NEWS FROM CNN or THE NEW YORK TIMES.YOU WILL BE AS OUT OF TOUCH WITH AMERICA AS KURTO IS NOW.

ThaSaltCracka
06-20-2005, 06:03 PM
glad to see I am livin with my peoples.

pass the duchie.

kurto
06-20-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
kurto if the red state folkswatched FOX maybe they could win an election

[/ QUOTE ]

You might have a point. The Republicans seem to have an edge when it comes to talking to the ignorant and misinformed. If the Democrats want to reach people like you, they might need to learn how Fox does it.

[ QUOTE ]
With the exception of Oreilly and Hannity FOX is very balanced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... I'm sure all Fox viewers tell themselves that everday. Just don't forget, in a national survey, Fox viewers were the most misinformed people out there. HINT HINT

[ QUOTE ]
iF YOU WANT TO TRULLY BE MISINFORMED AND PART OF THE LOONEY LEFT, GET YOUR NEWS FROM CNN or THE NEW YORK TIMES.YOU WILL BE AS OUT OF TOUCH WITH AMERICA AS KURTO IS NOW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you don't want to be as out of touch as me. You want to be as informed and sharp as Trippin Billy. Don't be like the LOONEY LEFT. Trippin sure knows whether or not I'm in touch with America. Not only does he know America, he knows me.

LOL He's just another Jaxmike (though he doesn't curse as much.)

thatpfunk
06-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Are you an adult? What do you do for a living?

Bob Moss
06-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Alaska nearly legalized marijuana in 2000 (http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2000/results/) (you have to click on state results and select Alaska to see the results). 40% voted in favor.

[ QUOTE ]
the initiative would fully legalize marijuana, eliminating penalties for possession, use, cultivation and sale. If approved, all non-violent marijuana offenders who are currently incarcerated would be released from jail.

[/ QUOTE ]

summary from here (http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=4226)

Bob

kurto
06-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Good question.

Cyrus
06-22-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My uncle was in the CBS meeting in 2000 when the switch was made based on the study results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right.

Gamblor had it on an equally reliable source (i.e. his army buddy told him over chow!) that Arafat was gay.

...I'm alerting the History Department. You guys don't move an inch, y'hear?

Cyrus
06-22-2005, 02:10 AM
Almost half the cities with a population of between 50,000 and 500,000 were carried by the Democratic party. And, without exception, every city with a population of over 500,000 voted for the Democrats.

In the recent presidential election, the Dems lost the battle upcountry, the home of "traditional values" -- which were under attack from the flaming queers, the crazy spenders, the traitors and the atheists of the Democratic Party.

At least that's the way the line went down.

MMMMMM
06-22-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Almost half the cities with a population of between 50,000 and 500,000 were carried by the Democratic party. And, without exception, every city with a population of over 500,000 voted for the Democrats.

In the recent presidential election, the Dems lost the battle upcountry, the home of "traditional values" -- which were under attack from the flaming queers, the crazy spenders, the traitors and the atheists of the Democratic Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cyrus it's amazing how smoking pot clouds your judgment, don't you think?

scream1158
06-22-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is the smarter and more informed people can actually see how dumb GWB is, whereas the South and Midwest can relate to him and understand him.

"Fool me once, shame on me... ummm uhh fool me twice, ummm uhhhh YOU CANT FOOL ME AGAIN!" With that dumb look on his face... Ugh that stupid grin on his face when he thinks he says something intelligent makes me want to punch him in the face.

Cyrus
06-22-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's amazing how smoking pot clouds your judgment, don't you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not suggest that more than half of the American voting public smokes pot.

...But maybe you're on to something.

ptmusic
06-22-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is the smarter and more informed people can actually see how dumb GWB is, whereas the South and Midwest can relate to him and understand him.

"Fool me once, shame on me... ummm uhh fool me twice, ummm uhhhh YOU CANT FOOL ME AGAIN!" With that dumb look on his face... Ugh that stupid grin on his face when he thinks he says something intelligent makes me want to punch him in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

That quote will never stop cracking me up (although it's actually "....Can't get fooled again.")

And another one my wife, a teacher, and I love:

"When it comes to education, the question we need to ask is..... is our children learning?"

-ptmusic

mmbt0ne
06-22-2005, 08:23 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, San Diego, Phoenix all voted for Bush.

According to this website (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html), they all have populations over 1 million.