PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for improving a home game structure

pb1
06-20-2005, 11:45 AM
My friends and I have had a regular NL game for a almost a year now. We try to keep the stakes low so that it remains friendly. This presents several problems. I am not complaining, My EV is positive in this game. If any one has suggestions for modifing our set up please post.... Thanks. Here is the format:

(1) Game is NL (Ring), which it is hard to keep stakes low in NL...
(2) we cap the buy in at $30. (Rebuy- up to 30 at any time)
(3) The Blinds are .25/.50

Problems encountered:

(1) half the regulars are fish. no problem , every dog has its day.

(2) Blinds are .25/.50, A pre-flop raise < 1.50 causes everyone to fold. > 1.50 everyone calls. Thus with a hand like 99-QQ, you will either win .75 or hope they hold up against 5 players after the flop. And win <$5.

Lately it has seemed like Bingo on Steroids. Anyone have suggestions on making a little more like a competitive poker game? Again I am not complaining, I usually clean up in the game but the social aspect is the dominating draw to the game.

THanks,
PB1

BlueBear
06-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Sounds like you're need to change the game. Play limit. Say 50c/$1 or $1/$2.

1) They sound scared of big raises and play far too passively in your current game. The regulars will find it less intimidating to play when preflop raises are just for a single extra bet.

2) The game is more swingy and weaker players will much better chance to come out ahead in a limit game.

Tournament poker, in sit-n-go styles, are another alternative. Escalating blinds will force the action.

10-20Jerome
06-21-2005, 03:57 PM
You neeed to up the maxium buy in. Say 100 and raise the blinds to 1-2. That way people dont feel pot committed after the flop. EX. 2 dollar raise 10 callers (which in weak home games happens alot) 20 dollars in pot. Lets say 1/2 the people only have 19-20 left you see where Im going?
Also with the 1-2 blinds you might win 5or6 dollars with a 10 dollar raise.

As for switching to limit..........your players sound like the enjoy watching to much TV so they like the all-in action so peobably will not work. The best idea is to make the blinds 2-5 with no cap buy-in advertise the game somehow and start raking the pot 10% max 4 or 5 dollars your choice. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

stevea
06-21-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lately it has seemed like Bingo on Steroids. Anyone have suggestions on making a little more like a competitive poker game? Again I am not complaining, I usually clean up in the game but the social aspect is the dominating draw to the game.

THanks,
PB1

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same problem with the tournaments my friends and I were playing...it was all about guys making bad calls and getting lucky on the river.

Here's an article on this: http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/homepoker/squeege07.htm

Also, if you switch to tournaments, and you don't want to increase the stakes, check out this site: www.homepokerclub.net (http://www.homepokerclub.net)

You can use this to record your tourney results online. Keeping the stats online has given my group of players more incentive to win in the long run, and they know they have to tighten up/play more like the professionals to do this.

steve

Check out my home league: <font color="red">North Shore Low Rollers</font> (http://www.homepokerclub.net/clubhome.php?clubid=1)

Matador225
06-21-2005, 10:32 PM
"You can use this to record your tourney results online. Keeping the stats online has given my group of players more incentive to win in the long run, and they know they have to tighten up/play more like the professionals to do this."

Not a bad idea if you want to force the fish to change. I don't know why you would want this but if you are strongly opposed to easy money then by all means do it.

stevea
06-22-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"You can use this to record your tourney results online. Keeping the stats online has given my group of players more incentive to win in the long run, and they know they have to tighten up/play more like the professionals to do this."

Not a bad idea if you want to force the fish to change. I don't know why you would want this but if you are strongly opposed to easy money then by all means do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did it because my home game is a friendly game...I'm not really in it for the money.

steve

Check out my home league: <font color="red">North Shore Low Rollers</font> (http://www.homepokerclub.net/clubhome.php?clubid=1)

pb1
06-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks all. I think I prefer a cash type game, as do the rest of the players, but I think the tournamant is probally the best Idea. Since it is a friendly game, neighborhood guys, it will probally go unchanged and I will continue to clean up......

PB1

ricdaman
06-23-2005, 01:21 PM
I would suggest LOWERING the stakes. One of the friendliest (and fishiest) games I play in is a $2 buy in, .05/.10 NL game. I usually win between $2 and $6 in our weekly 3 hour game. We never have the problem of someone raising to .30 and seeing everyone fold. In fact, it often causes more callers. The really nice thing about these super-micro-limits is that nobody cares about the money - that is, nobody is scared about raises. It makes for a lot more action and a lot more fun.

Perhaps .05/.10 is too low for you, but dropping to .10/.25 might help (with lowering the buy-in to say $20).