PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about playing the bubble with big stack

Jeoke
06-20-2005, 11:40 AM
I know what to push when I am short stacked but when I get big stacked I always find myself thinking like a wussy. I get scared to keep pushing hands and I get that feeling of just making it into the money! which I know is completely wrong!

Since most the posts here are about when your small stacked can someone give me some very basic pushing requirements(If they are different than small stacked)and strategy for being big stacked. Just to set me in the right direction.

durron597
06-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Your oppenents stack size, relative tightness, and blind sizes matter a great deal here.

If all my opponents seem tight your pushing range is any two.

hummusx
06-20-2005, 11:53 AM
I think the important concept that you need to consider is your opponents mindset. Especially for short stacks, when there are 4 people left, most of them are thinking of only 1 thing: I hope I can outlast that other guy and get 4th. Last night a guy in a game I was playing had 335 going into the BB of 300 and FOLDED to a raise. He was hoping for...I have no idea what. I guess that his SB hand would be great and he'd triple? People want to fold SOOO badly on the bubble. Be careful of larger stacks (unless you know they aren't going to put up a fight until after the bubble), but if you have a big stack you can be crazy with your raises.

gasgod
06-20-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the important concept that you need to consider is your opponents mindset. Especially for short stacks, when there are 4 people left, most of them are thinking of only 1 thing: I hope I can outlast that other guy <font color="blue"> and get 4th.</font> Last night a guy in a game I was playing had 335 going into the BB of 300 and FOLDED to a raise. He was hoping for...I have no idea what. I guess that his SB hand would be great and he'd triple? People want to fold SOOO badly on the bubble. Be careful of larger stacks (unless you know they aren't going to put up a fight until after the bubble), but if you have a big stack you can be crazy with your raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is what I'm doing wrong. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GG

MastiffPaul
06-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Something that is possible at low limit SnGs is to minraise from any position with a big stack on the bubble. As soon as someone figures out your game and starts pushing back into you, you probably should switch gears--but either no one seems to catch on or they don't have the courage to do anything about it. As soon has already said, though, it depends heavily on your reads on these players and on the blinds, etc.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
06-20-2005, 01:26 PM
The recent 2+2 advice I received is to be more careful in bubble as big stack (at low buy-in). If they think I am bullying/bluffing someone will spite call. so push less frequently, and wait for better cards, unless you have good read on opponents. When you have a big stack you have less to gain and more to lose. However, I am not saying tighten up excessively, just be more careful.

nokona13
06-20-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the important concept that you need to consider is your opponents mindset. Especially for short stacks, when there are 4 people left, most of them are thinking of only 1 thing: I hope I can outlast that other guy and get 4th. Last night a guy in a game I was playing had 335 going into the BB of 300 and FOLDED to a raise. He was hoping for...I have no idea what. I guess that his SB hand would be great and he'd triple? People want to fold SOOO badly on the bubble. Be careful of larger stacks (unless you know they aren't going to put up a fight until after the bubble), but if you have a big stack you can be crazy with your raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been finding that this isn't exactly correct. While there are certainly players who will fold with 2xBB from the BB, those are pretty easy to spot, and you can certainly push any two against them with a big stack. I've found that the donks are evenly distributed between the "hope to fold into the money" crowd and the "he pushed twice last orbit, he must have 23o, so I'll call his push with K8o or A2o" crowd. I think it's pretty important not to assume that all the mid-stacks are in the first crowd when you have a big stack. But again, in a big stack situation near or on the bubble, I'd of course err on the side of aggression.

tminus
06-20-2005, 01:53 PM
big or not you should think about stealing more from the tight passive players after level 3

identify them early and when they're on the blinds raise enough that would make them split their stack by calling

dont do it too often though or you'll get spite called

Newt_Buggs
06-20-2005, 02:12 PM
its disgusting how much I get spite called at the $50s when I've been bullying on the bubble. I made a thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=singletable&amp;Number=2626400 &amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=interpret&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Lim it=25&amp;Main=2626400&amp;Search=true&amp;where=bodysub&amp;Name= 28201&amp;daterange=1&amp;newerval=1&amp;newertype=y&amp;olderval= &amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyprev=#Post2626400) addressing this dilemma a while ago

tminus
06-20-2005, 03:45 PM
i get spite called at the 10's...

i dont pull this with the loose agro players unless im bleeding and i try to spread it out a few hands so it doesnt look obvious