PDA

View Full Version : If somehow you were involuntarily sent back in time...

kenberman
06-20-2005, 10:39 AM
how would you prove to people that you were from the future?

Lets say you woke up tomorrow morning and found yourself in rural England, year 745AD. You're not a middle age historian, so you have no knowledge of the specific date/time of any event 'scheduled' to occur in the next 30 years.

You have nothing with you from the future, as even your clothes have somehow been transformed into typical clothes for 745AD in England.

How would you prove to people that you are from the future?

Could you 'invent' something? 'Discover' something?

jakethebake
06-20-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how would you prove to people that you were from the future?

Lets say you woke up tomorrow morning and found yourself in rural England, year 745AD. You're not a middle age historian, so you have no knowledge of the specific date/time of any event 'scheduled' to occur in the next 30 years.

You have nothing with you from the future, as even your clothes have somehow been transformed into typical clothes for 745AD in England.

How would you prove to people that you are from the future?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you don't want anyone to know you're from the future.

tbach24
06-20-2005, 10:41 AM
England, 745 seems like it wouldn't be a fun place.

I'd bide my time and then burn down some village full of heathens.

Then I'd show them oragami. That'd win their respect.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-20-2005, 10:44 AM
I'm pretty sure I'd either be the greatest mathematician/physicist/scholar of all time, or I'd be burned at the stake for witchcraft. It's a pick'em.

jakethebake
06-20-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I'd either be the greatest mathematician/physicist/scholar of all time, or I'd burned at the stake for witchcraft. It's a pick'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me. I'd try to go the anonymous route.

IndieMatty
06-20-2005, 10:55 AM
I'd show them my delorean.

kenberman
06-20-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I'd either be the greatest mathematician/physicist/scholar of all time, or I'd burned at the stake for witchcraft. It's a pick'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what would you do? live out your days as a potato farmer?

hoopsie44
06-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Anyone remember that old TV show "The Time Tunnel" from the late sixties? Pretty cool, 2 time travelers going back to all of these historically significant eras. Also, the Star Trek episode with Joan Collins in depression era Chicago was a great episode.

tbach24
06-20-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better than being burnt at the stake. People were wicked paranoid at that time.

bosoxfan
06-20-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lets say you woke up tomorrow morning and found yourself in rural England, year 745AD

[/ QUOTE ]

Just thinking of the smell is making me gag.

TylerD
06-20-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in England in 745AD that's for sure!

jakethebake
06-20-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

jakethebake
06-20-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lets say you woke up tomorrow morning and found yourself in rural England, year 745AD

[/ QUOTE ]

Just thinking of the smell is making me gag.

[/ QUOTE ]

xLukex
06-20-2005, 11:04 AM
I'd walk to the nearest castle and proclaim myself king of oral hygiene.

kenberman
06-20-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

could you become a dentist?

contentless
06-20-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd show them the medieval 'George Foreman grill'.

1. Take grill.
2. Tilt grill.
3. Profit, mofo!

xLukex
06-20-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

could you become a dentist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could invent floss out of thin-carved tree bark.

tworooks
06-20-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not a middle age historian, so you have no knowledge of the specific date/time

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I'd either be the greatest mathematician/physicist/scholar of all time, or I'd burned at the stake for witchcraft. It's a pick'em

[/ QUOTE ] Not me. I'd try to go the anonymous route.

[/ QUOTE ] what would you do? live out your days as a potato farmer?

[/ QUOTE ] Better than being burnt at the stake. People were wicked paranoid at that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

technically, you're not supposed to know that. so stop cheating

jakethebake
06-20-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're not a middle age historian, so you have no knowledge of the specific date/time

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I'd either be the greatest mathematician/physicist/scholar of all time, or I'd burned at the stake for witchcraft. It's a pick'em

[/ QUOTE ] Better than being burnt at the stake. People were wicked paranoid at that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tback is 17. he's a young historian.

M2d
06-20-2005, 12:00 PM
would I still be asian? something tells me I'd be screwed.
I think I'd discover america

OtisTheMarsupial
06-20-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
something tells me I'd be screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. I think they'd kill me pretty quickly.
I wouldn't try to convince them I'm from the future.

tbach24
06-20-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tbach is 17. he's a young historian.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the fricken middle ages, there are dudes running around with swords, you'll figure out pretty quick how scary it will be.

Alobar
06-20-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I'd either be the greatest mathematician/physicist/scholar of all time, or I'd be burned at the stake for witchcraft. It's a pick'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, if you didnt become a dirt farmer, this is exactly what would happen.

Your best bet would be to stick with math and basic physics, any sort of astronomy comes into play and you are dead so fast it isnt even funny.

Actually, WTF am I talking about?? Become an inventer. Hell invent the gun and take over the whole damn country, or invent the telescope or one of many other things that would make you a rich ass man or at the very least someone the King sees as really valuable, so you get to chill at his caste and bang wenches and eat giant turkey legs all day.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-20-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your best bet would be to stick with math and basic physics, any sort of astronomy comes into play and you are dead so fast it isnt even funny.

Actually, WTF am I talking about?? Become an inventer. Hell invent the gun and take over the whole damn country, or invent the telescope or one of many other things that would make you a rich ass man or at the very least someone the King sees as really valuable, so you get to chill at his caste and bang wenches and eat giant turkey legs all day.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking guns are going to be a very tough way to go. So much of the development depends on manufacturing techniques and materials that were just so far out at that time. I'd go for a simple flying machine.

kenberman
06-20-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking guns are going to be a very tough way to go. So much of the development depends on manufacturing techniques and materials that were just so far out at that time. I'd go for a simple flying machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you, a rocket scientist? how are you going to make a plane?

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TStoneMBD
06-20-2005, 01:34 PM
he said a simple flying machine. he didnt say plane.

toss
06-20-2005, 01:38 PM
If you were sent back to 745 AD you wouldn't know how to speak English as it was spoken back then. You wouldn't be able to understand a word and they wouldn't be able to understand you.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-20-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he said a simple flying machine. he didnt say plane.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it'd probably be a glider at first, then I'd try to make it human-powered. I might go for something like da Vinci's helicopter-ish flying machine. I doubt I'd be able to develop a piston engine, regardless of my knowledge. The manufacturing techniques and the materials just aren't there.

A balloon might be a more practical way to start out with, but balloons bore me.

jakethebake
06-20-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I might go for something like da Vinci's helicopter-ish flying machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent idea. I'm not a rocket scientist, but I think I'll start memorizing those blueprints just in case this ever happens to me.

kenberman
06-20-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I might go for something like da Vinci's helicopter-ish flying machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent idea. I'm not a rocket scientist, but I think I'll start memorizing those blueprints just in case this ever happens to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I applaude your initiative. This is way better than resigning yourself to being a potato farmer.

kenberman
06-20-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you were sent back to 745 AD you wouldn't know how to speak English as it was spoken back then. You wouldn't be able to understand a word and they wouldn't be able to understand you.

[/ QUOTE ]

lets assume the force that sent you into the past and changed your clothes also gave you the power to speak the English of that era.

mason55
06-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Calculus. It's easy enough to show them but won't be invented for awhile. You can show a lot of things that most people would consider "simple math" that would blow their minds.

dblgutshot
06-21-2005, 01:36 AM
I would make playing cards and teach them simple games. Eventually get them into poker and tear the games up and win a castle from some king fish.

Ok but seriously....teach them some cards games.

imported_CaseClosed326
06-21-2005, 01:42 AM
I would do what most people would do. Start crying, 'cause this would suck sooooooo much I can't even beging to think about it.

rusty JEDI
06-22-2005, 04:05 AM
Invent the printing press and then have Grade 8 students writing essays about you for the next 1000 plus years.

Your ability to read, write, do math, and pleasure women should get you a posh job somewhere.

Not sure when crop rotation started, but start that sh!t up and grow the biggest vegetables in all the land.

rJ

slamdunkpro
06-24-2005, 02:57 AM
First - boil my water

Second invent Beer, Soap, and toilet paper - in that order!

balkii
06-24-2005, 03:05 AM
the correct answer is:

http://lowgradepanic.bloghorn.com/img/boomstick.gif

show them your boomstick. all the convincing that you're from the future, none of the hassle of being burned.

GrooveNougat
06-24-2005, 03:19 AM
You could probably do the old Ben Franklin kite/key and invent electricity. That and predict that the Spurs would win the NBA finals in 2005.

I don't even want to think about how stank those women must have been. Word.

toss
06-24-2005, 03:28 AM
In that case, what would Martin Lawrence do?

slamdunkpro
06-24-2005, 03:51 AM
"Shop smart, Shop S-Mart!"

jaxUp
06-24-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would do what most people would do. Start crying

[/ QUOTE ]

Assume for this exercise that you do not have a vagina.

dcasper70
06-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Invent playing cards
Make chips
Teach them Poker
Offer them rakeback on Empire...