PDA

View Full Version : negreanu religious view?

grass
06-20-2005, 08:33 AM
DanielNegreanu
Professional Poker Player

Sun, Jun 19th, 2005 9:57

That list is defintely not accurate. As for Barry, he is a devoted atheist as is Chris Ferguson. Although Chris is an atheist he signs autographs by adding in quotes "Jesus."

I let him know one night that some people may find that offensive and he said he didn't promote the nickname. He then said that he wouldn't sign autographs like that anymore, but of course that was a lie. I've signed tons of hats and t-shirts since and have seen Chris "Jesus" Feguson on many of those hats. I can't say that I was surprised to see that's he'd lied, but it was a little disappointing. Why say you are going to stop when you had no intention to? Did he think I wouldn't find out? His word holds little weight with me.

The fact that he is a atheist just makes it even uglier. He tried to justify the nickname by saying that many Mexican families name their children Jesus. However, with Chris, his use of the nickname simply mocks the majority of this country who believe that Jesus was our saviour and died a brutal death for our sins.

I'm not as offended by that nickname however as I am of Phil Laak's use of the "Unabomber." What next? We have people parading around with nicknames like "Hitler" and "Bin Laden?"

What the Unabomber Ted Kisinski did wasn't funny. If I lost a loved one at the hands of the Unabomber I would be repulsed by the idea that people may be cheering "Go Unabomber." Imagine for a second a mother watching that on TV? How would she feel about it? Exactly.

STACKED
» Daniel's Blog

grass
06-20-2005, 08:34 AM
anyone else see a problem w/ ferguson's nickname?

flo
06-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Probably not.

csuf_gambler
06-20-2005, 08:58 AM
his got a point with the unabomber stuff.

TonyS0pran0
06-20-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Christ NO!!!

TomCollins
06-20-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not as offended by that nickname however as I am of Phil Laak's use of the "Unabomber." What next? We have people parading around with nicknames like "Hitler" and "Bin Laden?

[/ QUOTE ]

Freddy "The Terrorist" Deeb.

mackthefork
06-20-2005, 10:24 AM
I am amused that this could offend anyone, I support his right to poke fun at religious nut-jobs. He has a good point about that Unibomber guy, thats just plain poor taste.

Mack

Sightless
06-20-2005, 10:45 AM
That is so childish... There are millions of things in the world which might offend someone if they chose to get offended by it...

blockafor
06-20-2005, 10:52 AM
I agree with Negreanu's points here, but why does it seem that Negreanu is always the first to judge other poker players (and I don't mean judge their playing ability)? I find that annoying. He needs to lay off a bit.

maryfield48
06-20-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Negreanu's points here, but why does it seem that Negreanu is always the first to judge other poker players (and I don't mean judge their playing ability)? I find that annoying. He needs to lay off a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading his blog, it seems to me that he doesn't self-censor very much. He seems to say or write whatever he's thinking. This is sometimes entertaining in the way that car crashes are entertaining (c.v troubled gay prostitute (http://fullcontactpoker.com/poker-journal.php?subaction=showfull&id=1117956671&archi ve=&start_from=&ucat=&)).

AliasMrJones
06-20-2005, 12:10 PM
I find the unabomber nickname to be in poor taste and have no idea why someone would either go by that nickname or do anything that might make people continue to use it. I noticed on the train wreck celebrity poker show on the E! channel that Laak hosted he dropped the hooded sweatshirt. I think that was a good move.

I think Negreanu's problem with Ferguson is that he is an atheist. I don't think Fergunson was intentionally going for a "Jesus" look, but by gosh he looks kindof like movie/painting depictions of Jesus so people call him that. I don't know for sure how he got the nickname, but it was probably others who started using it first. I really don't see how he's mocking anything.

wiggs73
06-20-2005, 12:16 PM
As a Christian, I can say that I have no problem what-so-ever with Ferguson's nickname. As others have said, he does kind of look like Jesus. If it were something along the lines of Chris "Jesus sucks" Ferguson, then I'd find it offensive, but as it stands, it's no biggie really.

I do think Phil Laak's unabomber nickname is pretty classless. Even though he does resemble him, I fail to see why anyone would want to assume this nickname.

BruinEric
06-20-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Negreanu's points here, but why does it seem that Negreanu is always the first to judge other poker players (and I don't mean judge their playing ability)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because he has a weblog and so his thoughts are saved and broadcast to a much wider audience than Pro XYZ sitting at the buffet being critical of other players where you can't hear it on your computer.

topspin
06-20-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why does it seem that Negreanu is always the first to judge other poker players (and I don't mean judge their playing ability)? I find that annoying. He needs to lay off a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the irony of this post pretty amusing.

Zygote
06-20-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He looks like jesus and the religious world who is offended needs to realize that the bible still exists as a piece of literature. By simply not living in servitude and acceptance of god, we are offending them, so why should this matter?

jedi
06-20-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a Christian, I can say that I have no problem what-so-ever with Ferguson's nickname. As others have said, he does kind of look like Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he looks like PICTURES of Jesus. I don't think we know what Jesus really looked like.

That having been said, Chris is supposedly a nice guy as well, represents himself well and had the nickname given to him. He didn't create his own nickname, like "The Crew."

Willy
06-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Danny Boy is starting to wear a little thin.
He probably needs to stick to poker.

JackWhite
06-20-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That is so childish... There are millions of things in the world which might offend someone if they chose to get offended by it...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you knew someone who was killed or maimed by the Unabomber, wouldn't you be offended that a poker player was cheered on by that name? I sure would.

37offsuit
06-20-2005, 02:13 PM
I actually do know what Jesus looks like.

This thread is pretty stupid. A blog is a diary other's are able to read. It's not a newspaper making claims of truth. A blog, by definition, is one person's opinion. D. is entitled to his.

Unibomber? Who cares? Should one of the Unibomber's victim's family members get upset when they see a news article on the same? Sure. But then, that's because something tragic happened to them. Stop coddling these people, they can take care of themselves. They certainly don't need some annonymous geek on the internet uselessly taking up their cause. Likely, if they did care to google the name "unibomber" they would be lead to this thread (among millions of others) and now you've contributed to their grief. Good job.

Here's more of my opinion: People need to spend more time judging their own actions rather than those of others. Myself included.

t_petrosian
06-20-2005, 02:16 PM
This is among the goofiest things I've heard in a while. If you get offended, that's your deal. Get a freaking life. If a player looks like Hitler, nickname him Hitler...who gives a flying [censored]. If I look like Bin Laden, call me Bin Laden. People have too much time and too little going on in their lives if they can worry about such trite [censored] as this. I don't care if Chris Ferguson's nickname is Chris "Jesus sucks big donkey dicks" Ferguson, it's just a freaking nickname. If he shows up to your house and starts burning crosses, then you can whine. Otherwise, get a life and shut the hell up.

bruce
06-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Who give's a rats ass about this subject?

Jordan Olsommer
06-20-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
his got a point with the unabomber stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you think about it, he doesn't. Phil Laak got that nickname because he, in his hooded sweatshirt, looked like the police sketch of the Unabomber suspect. The man who they eventually found looked nothing like that. Not to mention the much more obvious fact that the nickname was bestowed for a very benign reason - his appearance. This is why, despite his best efforts to draw an analogy that would express how offended he is by Phil Laak's nickname, a player nicknamed "Hitler" because he had a tiny upper-lip eyebrow of a moustache wouldn't be particularly offensive (as opposed to a player who got the nickname "Hitler" because he frequently busts Jewish players out of a tournament or something).

Ironically enough, in misinterpreting a symbol for something (Chris Ferguson's or Phil Laak's nicknames) as that something itself (Jesus or the terrorist Unabomber), he's committing the cardinal sin of religion (what Joseph Campbell once described as "going into a restaurant and eating the menu"). If you don't see the irony, I recommend you make every effort to try - it's quite delicious. :P

My initial hypothesis is that he's just looking for something to whine about.

JackWhite
06-20-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you get offended, that's your deal. Get a freaking life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.if you say it's their deal, then why do you care? Why don't you shut the hell up and get a life? Who are you to tell someone else they cannot get offended? None of your damn business.

otnemem
06-20-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A player nicknamed "Hitler" because he had a tiny upper-lip eyebrow of a moustache wouldn't be particularly offensive (as opposed to a player who got the nickname "Hitler" because he frequently busts Jewish players out of a tournament or something).

[/ QUOTE ]

I can assume fairly certainly that we will never hear Mike Sexton say, "Hitler raises on a stone cold bluff!" There would be a (limited) public outcry if the WPT chose to nickname a player "Hitler" for any reason.

I'm sorry, but are you actually suggesting that there would be any circumstance in which people wouldn't get offended by a "character" nicknamed Hitler?

Smoothcall
06-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah i think it is a bit blastphimus(sp?). It erks me when i here them call him "jesus". I mean i know he probably didn't invent the name it was given to him for his look. And he does look a bit like him. But its disrespectful and blastphimus.

Smoothcall
06-20-2005, 03:17 PM
I agree. Daniel has a point with unibomber as well.

kodonnell
06-20-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

If you knew someone who was killed or maimed by the Unabomber, wouldn't you be offended that a poker player was cheered on by that name? I sure would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um....hmmmmm.....No. I live in a reality where I understand the difference between Phil "The Unabomber" Laak and Ted "The Unabomber" Kaczynski.

I'll ask this question to those who find nicknames offensive. If a new player came onto the poker scene and his legal name was Adolf Hitler, would that offend you? Is that any different than an offensive nickname?

I say we all take a collective bong hit and relax a bit.

Smoothcall
06-20-2005, 03:21 PM
That one was actually kinda funny. And those guys all know each other and it was all in fun. But if it was a knickname that stuck it would be offensive to many people probably.

AliasMrJones
06-20-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, if you think about it, he doesn't. Phil Laak got that nickname because he, in his hooded sweatshirt, looked like the police sketch of the Unabomber suspect. The man who they eventually found looked nothing like that. Not to mention the much more obvious fact that the nickname was bestowed for a very benign reason - his appearance. This is why, despite his best efforts to draw an analogy that would express how offended he is by Phil Laak's nickname, a player nicknamed "Hitler" because he had a tiny upper-lip eyebrow of a moustache wouldn't be particularly offensive (as opposed to a player who got the nickname "Hitler" because he frequently busts Jewish players out of a tournament or something).

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally feel that people, in general, seem to get offended by stuff way too much. However, where I think Laak goes wrong is in perpetuating the nickname. Why would anyone want to be known as the unabomber? I can't understand it. Yet, he continued to wear that hooded sweatshirt which in turn seemed to imply he liked the nickname or at least encouraged it. I really can't think of many nicknames I rather not have than a crazy guy that blew up innocent people.

Again, with Ferguson, I really don't understand how it is disrespectful.

Jordan Olsommer
06-20-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, where I think Laak goes wrong is in perpetuating the nickname. Why would anyone want to be known as the unabomber? I can't understand it. Yet, he continued to wear that hooded sweatshirt which in turn seemed to imply he liked the nickname or at least encouraged it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether or not he goes around saying "Hey ladies, you might remember me from the world poker tour - I'm Phil 'The Unabomber' Laak", but if 'perpetuating his nickname' means that other people continue to call him that because he wears what he's most comfortable playing poker in (a hooded sweatshirt), then f- 'em. He's not responsible for what morons think.

Rock27
06-20-2005, 03:46 PM
This really does not make much sense to me. Considering that gambling is a vice and is something that a strict Christian would not participate in, I am sure they could find a whole lot to complain about in regards to Poker.
Besides, since when do Christians have the patent on the word "Jesus?"

Rock27 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Jordan Olsommer
06-20-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but are you actually suggesting that there would be any circumstance in which people wouldn't get offended by a "character" nicknamed Hitler?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not offended by a character named "Unabomber".

Are you actually implicitly suggesting that if a menacing looking asian player became a WPT staple that people would be offended if he had the nickname "Genghis Khan"? I can say with near certainty there would be no public outcry over that situation if it ever happened. Why not? Don't they have any idea how many people that guy killed?

I don't know about you, but my spidey-sense tends to go off whenever someone says something to the effect of "you people should be ashamed of yourself for not being offended by this".

BAK
06-20-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually do know what Jesus looks like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

TroutMaskReplica
06-20-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a player nicknamed "Hitler" because he had a tiny upper-lip eyebrow of a moustache wouldn't be particularly offensive (as opposed to a player who got the nickname "Hitler" because he frequently busts Jewish players out of a tournament or something).

[/ QUOTE ]

this, and the thought of mike sexton exclaiming about hitler raising on a stone cold bluff just made me shoot my coffee out my nose. i hope nobody's offended that i could laugh at that /images/graemlins/smile.gif

AliasMrJones
06-20-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, where I think Laak goes wrong is in perpetuating the nickname. Why would anyone want to be known as the unabomber? I can't understand it. Yet, he continued to wear that hooded sweatshirt which in turn seemed to imply he liked the nickname or at least encouraged it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether or not he goes around saying "Hey ladies, you might remember me from the world poker tour - I'm Phil 'The Unabomber' Laak", but if 'perpetuating his nickname' means that other people continue to call him that because he wears what he's most comfortable playing poker in (a hooded sweatshirt), then f- 'em. He's not responsible for what morons think.

[/ QUOTE ]
My feeling was the sweatshirt wasn't "the thing he's most comfortable playing in", but rather a gimmick. Did you see the episodes where he was tying it over his head?

If I'm wearing a clown suit in a tournament as a gimmick to get noticed and people start calling me "Gacy" you bet I'm going to stop wearing the clown suit. In fact, I might skip some hands to go change in the middle of play.

MMMMMM
06-20-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Considering that gambling is a vice and is something that a strict Christian would not participate in, I am sure they could find a whole lot to complain about in regards to Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious where in the Bible do you find a prohibition against gambling?

otnemem
06-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Read my post more carefully. I didn't say what offends me personally (not much does). I said that people would be offended by a poker player nicknamed Hitler. Unfortunately, there's no anti-defamation league for victims of Ted Kascinzky (sp?). But regardless of your own morality, or of any hypocrisy involved in this argument, trivializing Hitler makes people angry.

Smoothcall
06-20-2005, 04:28 PM
It is disrespectful because announcers on tv and fans make statement like. If he comes back from this short stack to win they will change his name to God instead of jesus. It like comparing him and his poker abilties in some way to comapare with what jesus was capable of in a way i think. That he is so good at poker he plays like jesus. I don't think jesus would apreciate haivng poker players comapre themsleves to him. Not that Chris is doing this, but announcers and fans do. Obviously they are not seriously doing it. But i don't think it is appropriate to alot of people for others to joke about a respected religous figure who some believe gave his life for us. Maybe like its in poor taste to bring jesus up when discussing sex or somthing like that. It is disrespectful to make jokes or compare someone with such an important and respected person in many peoples lives. It is taboo.

AliasMrJones
06-20-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is disrespectful because announcers on tv and fans make statement like. If he comes back from this short stack to win they will change his name to God instead of jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how this has anything to do with Ferguson or his acceptance of the nickname. People can say all kinds of wacky things about lots of different nicknames and bring God into it. How does this have anything to do with simply having the nickname Jesus being disrespectful?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think jesus would apreciate haivng poker players comapre themsleves to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be better if a plumber compared himself to Jesus? And, I don't think Ferguson is in any way making that comparison in any event.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe like its in poor taste to bring jesus up when discussing sex or somthing like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus not only sactions, but encourages sex between married couples doesn't he? So why is it in poor taste to bring up Jesus when talking about sex?

Jordan Olsommer
06-20-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
trivializing Hitler makes people angry.

[/ QUOTE ]

as we can clearly see by the massive public outcry after the release of the Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" episode. Or "Stalag 17". Or "The Producers". :P

...I agree with you to an extent, but if some poker player for god knows what reason decided to grow a little toothbrush-bristle moustache, anyone who says calling him "hitler" would be so offensive that it never crossed their tolerant and respectful mind is either a) full of sh*t, or b) if they are honest, they certainly aren't worth talking to or investing a lot of mental energy in in the first place.

But I agree that Sexton probably wouldn't be caught dead saying "Hitler's looking down at Big Slick!"

David Sklansky
06-20-2005, 05:17 PM
What about if you believe the world would be better off if people did not believe that Jesus is the son of God? And that people who believe he is, need to be set straight for their own good (because they are believing something that is incorrect)?

Several years ago a Jewish publication put out a listing of the ten greatest Jewish people of all time in their opinion. Moses was first. Einstein was second. And there in sixth position was Jesus (who they assumed was just a great man). Were they being disrespectful?

pokers
06-20-2005, 05:28 PM
well why does he name himself that..

maurile
06-20-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Considering that gambling is a vice and is something that a strict Christian would not participate in, I am sure they could find a whole lot to complain about in regards to Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The Bible does not condemn gambling. In fact, there are several verses where the Bible may implicitly endorse gambling:

Numbers 26:52-56: "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... the land shall be divided by lot."

Joshua 18:6: "Ye shall therefore describe the land into seven parts, and bring the description hither to me, that I may cast lots for you here before the LORD our God."

Acts 1:23-26: "And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen.... And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles."

After all, what about Church bingo?

David Sklansky
06-20-2005, 05:40 PM
"The Bible does not condemn gambling. In fact, there are several verses where the Bible may implicitly endorse gambling:

Numbers 26:52-56: "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... the land shall be divided by lot.""

But why wouldn't God know the results beforehand?

nath
06-20-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"The Bible does not condemn gambling. In fact, there are several verses where the Bible may implicitly endorse gambling:

Numbers 26:52-56: "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... the land shall be divided by lot.""

[/ QUOTE ]

God just likes the action.

Masquerade
06-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Interesting. I had always assumed Daniel was from a jewish family background - just because of his East European name and the fact he's called Daniel! Oh and I think he once posted about hanging with some jewish guys when he was growing up.

Of course he might have just decided to become a Christian despite a non-Christian background, I don't know. He seems to have need to strongly differentiate himself from the mild assumptions of his family background [eg. vegetarianism, dismissal of book learning, choice of girlfriends, wacky creationist ideas etc] so perhaps it's all part of that.

I should say that I'm actually a huge DN fan despite he above comments! He's an incredible player when his A-game is working but I'm worried about his mental stability.

tipperdog
06-20-2005, 06:41 PM
That's the most absurd thing I've ever read. To sum up:

Both Ferguson and Laak were given the names based on physical appearance (or, in Laak's case, costume). Each has taken to the nickname, but neither exploits it in an offensive way. (Now, if Laak responded to bad beats with "Here's a gift for you. Open the package when alone" it would be a different story.

Jeez, lighten up, Dannyboy.

Rock27
06-20-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Subject: Re: Isn't the Bible anti-gambling?

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a theologian by trade or expertised but I thought the following was the generally accepted view of gambling:

Timothy 6:9,10 (chapter 6, verses 9 and 10:

But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

nath
06-20-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not a theologian by trade or expertised but I thought the following was the generally accepted view of gambling:

But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's great is that that quote says nothing whatsoever specific to gambling. Just another example of how the interpretation of religious texts is often highly dependent on the views of the interpreter.

(As you may have inferred, I don't think it's offensive that Ferguson and Laak have nicknames based on their resemblance to the public perception / generally accepted image of two characters. Perhaps I would be offended if Ferguson started proclaiming he was a religious figure, or Laak actually killed people, but probably not. Well, maybe if he killed people.)

jedi
06-20-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like someone said before me, that has nothing to do with gambling. That has to do with the evils of greed and lust for money. I "gamble" because I enjoy playing a game. I don't do it for money, though money is the way we keep score in this game.

MrMon
06-20-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Numbers 26:52-56: "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... the land shall be divided by lot."

Joshua 18:6: "Ye shall therefore describe the land into seven parts, and bring the description hither to me, that I may cast lots for you here before the LORD our God."

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen these two quotes used before to somehow provide a biblical endorsement for gambling, yet in no way are either of these two gambling. They are simply ways of assigning who gets what. For it to be gambling, there would have to be a loser, and in these two cases, there simply isn't one.

As for the third quote:

[ QUOTE ]
Acts 1:23-26: "And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen.... And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles."

[/ QUOTE ]

This, to answer David, is clearly where God does know the outcome. No gambling here either, because the outcome is predetermined and the casting of lots is simply a way of showing God's choice.

And finally, if an audience full of Jews can enjoy "The Producers", then Daniel can clearly get over Jesus and the Unabomber.

jgodin
06-20-2005, 10:43 PM
No, I think that most Christians would consider this ignorance rather than disrespect (as I doubt the Jewish publication put him at #6 simply to piss of Christians. Or maybe...)

Sightless
06-20-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not much

[/ QUOTE ]

minwoo
06-20-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Freddy "The Terrorist" Deeb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cracked up for like 10 min straight after I saw this one.

Russ McGinley
06-20-2005, 11:38 PM
After skimming this thread, I can safely assume DN posts stuff like that just to set off the 2+2 psychos and cause long and boring debates in the WPT forum.

bocablkr
06-20-2005, 11:53 PM
Does anyone know what list this is referring to - That list is defintely not accurate. As for Barry, he is a devoted atheist as is Chris Ferguson. Although Chris is an atheist he signs autographs by adding in quotes "Jesus."

Bartman387
06-21-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But its disrespectful and blastphimus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im curious if Danny N. or anyone else who has said that using the nickname Jesus is in bad taste, offensive, etc. have ever used the phrase "Holy Cow."

That phrase originated as a way to mock Buddhists(or hindus, can't remember which), because of their belief that Cows are sacred creatures. I would almost say that using "holy cow" is worse that calling Chris "Jesus" as that is a benign nickname that is used soley due to his resemblence to the popular depiction of Jesus, whereas "holy cow" has a malicious history behind it.

Mason Malmuth
06-21-2005, 03:54 AM
"When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son."

Hi Everyone:

That's a quote from Hosea (which is a book in the Old Testament): Chapter 11:1. If Daniel understood the significance of this quote, I suspect he would be more tolerant of Ferguson's nickname.

I'll let others elaborate.

Best wishes,
Mason

Biloxi
06-21-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What's great is that that quote says nothing whatsoever specific to gambling. Just another example of how the interpretation of religious texts is often highly dependent on the views of the interpreter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very True^^^

PS. Christians are not anti-gambling.
There are some divisions such as BAPTIST who are against gambling and drinking yet I frequently see them indulging! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

... I was not aware that Greenstein was atheist. He seemed like a faithful person. oh well
Also someone mentioned that they were devout atheists. How can someone be devout at a belief in nothing? /images/graemlins/confused.gif You are either atheist or not... right?

Smoothcall
06-21-2005, 05:26 AM
You don't see how this has anything to do with his acceptnace of the nickname? He may have not made the name up. But he is not discouraging the nickname, and makes money off of the name. I think the wpt are the ones that should have stepped in and told both players we are not gpoing to call or mention your nicknames on tv.

Nobody should be comparing themselves or anybody else to jesus. And i never said chris was making this comparison. I said his fans and announcers were. In a joking way but still inappropriately in some peoples opinion.

eboller
06-21-2005, 07:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also someone mentioned that they were devout atheists. How can someone be devout at a belief in nothing? /images/graemlins/confused.gif You are either atheist or not... right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The word devout doesn't just have religious connotatations.

twomarks
06-21-2005, 08:34 AM
My only thoughts on this are along the lines of "Where does it stop?"

Where is the line between political correctness and being thoughtful of other people.

This is a personal line for everyone, and I find myself in the same predicament. Example - I personally have no problem with the nickname "Jesus" even though I'm a christian, but I do have a problem with the Unabomber because it seems to go out of the way to promote a tv personality without regard to the feelings of others.

Before you write this off, ask yourself what and where your personal line is. It stops being politically correct when it hits you in the face. For instance, would people be offended by Mike Sexton et. al. dubbing a good player from DC the "DC Sniper"? or an older player that is very good and takes pride in snapping of the jerks in the crew being dubbed "The Child Molester"?

These examples may seem inflamatory at first, but the argument that people just need to relax and not take things so seriously is easily made by people who haven't put a lot of though in to what may offend them and how silly that may sound to others.

One more thought - anyone have a problem with "The Tiger Woods of Poker" nickname?

Thanks, and any thoughts are welcome.

twomarks

JohnG
06-21-2005, 03:16 PM
If daniel is offended by such things, then he must feel completely suicidal when he thinks about the real bad things in the world, such as the millions of iraqi children that have died due to the actions of the American government these past 15 years or so.

djoyce003
06-21-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If daniel is offended by such things, then he must feel completely suicidal when he thinks about the real bad things in the world, such as the millions of iraqi children that have died due to the actions of the American government these past 15 years or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

millions of iraqi children huh? How'd you come up with that figure?

TheMainEvent
06-21-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Several years ago a Jewish publication put out a listing of the ten greatest Jewish people of all time in their opinion. Moses was first. Einstein was second. And there in sixth position was Jesus (who they assumed was just a great man). Were they being disrespectful?

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting him at 6th is a little strange to me. I don't see how you can doubt that Jesus had a more significant lasting effect on our world than any other individual. If you believe this effect was negative, you could leave him off the list entirely. Otherwise, I could not see him being in any position other than 1st.

David Sklansky
06-21-2005, 04:54 PM
"Putting him at 6th is a little strange to me. I don't see how you can doubt that Jesus had a more significant lasting effect on our world than any other individual."

Einstein's stuff involves everything everywhere. Not just twenty percent of one species on one tiny planet for a few thousand years.

Mason Malmuth
06-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Hi Main:

I think you are confusing Jesus and Paul. After all it was Paul who get the "Way" going.

Best wishes,
Mason

JohnG
06-21-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
millions of iraqi children huh? How'd you come up with that figure?

[/ QUOTE ]

I made it up. It's certainly a minimum of 1/2 a million when I last saw mention of the figures a number of years ago. 1/2 a million, 1 million, 2 million. Does it really matter on the exact figure? How many dead children would be acceptable?

Here's one link a google search turned up.

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1084

Jax_Grinder
06-21-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If daniel is offended by such things, then he must feel completely suicidal when he thinks about the real bad things in the world, such as the millions of iraqi children that have died due to the inactions of the American government these past 15 years or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are your [censored] kidding me you complete [censored] idiot? Look, I am NOT A fan of much of what our governments policy has been in the Middle East, but I am also not so [censored] diluded in the head that I would fail to realize that the responsibility for the death of Iraqis of all ages lays squarely at the feet of one monster - Saddam.

BTW, FYP.

maurile
06-21-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting him at 6th is a little strange to me. I don't see how you can doubt that Jesus had a more significant lasting effect on our world than any other individual.

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming you are talking about Chris Ferguson, I don't think 6th is too low (although I didn't know he was Jewish).

Seriously, the Biblical Jesus had a huge effect on our world, but it's hard to say how much of an effect the historical Jesus had. There may not even be a unique historical Jesus -- it's quite possible that something like 20% of the N.T. stories were based on events from one guy's life, 20% were based on events from another guy's life, 30% is an amalgamation of stories based on ten other guys, and 30% is just made up. Under that scenario (which is not so far-fetched), which guy gets to be on the top 10 list?

KenProspero
06-21-2005, 06:22 PM
I would think a player who got the Nickname 'Hitler' might himself be offended. Just thinking of the guy who was the model for the 'Soup Nazi' on Seinfeld.

He was really pissed, even though he ultimately made his fortune on that nick.

Regarding Ferguson, I'm sure if you asked him not to include Jesus in his autograph he'd comply .... though if you're really offended you probably won't ask him.

Finally, I can't see getting upset because the nickname might offend someone else ... life's too short to worry about stuff like that.

gildwulf
06-21-2005, 06:40 PM
I am horribly offended. I think Ferguson should change his nickname to "Turd" instead.

JohnG
06-21-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are your [censored] kidding me you complete [censored] idiot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the voice of reason speaks.

[ QUOTE ]
Look, I am NOT A fan of much of what our governments policy has been in the Middle East, but I am also not so [censored] diluded in the head that I would fail to realize that the responsibility for the death of Iraqis of all ages lays squarely at the feet of one monster - Saddam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who was responsible for the economic sanctions and bombings? Who dropped the bombs that has and will cause fatal disease and birth defects for years to come due to the depleted uranium? Who targetted the iraqi water supply? etc

I think you need to re-evaluate who the deluded one is. Although, your attitude is understandable given the daily conditioning the American people are bombarded with.

Saddam = Monster. Bush/Clinton/Bush/Blair/Major = heroes.

JohnG
06-21-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, the Biblical Jesus had a huge effect on our world, but it's hard to say how much of an effect the historical Jesus had. There may not even be a unique historical Jesus -- it's quite possible that something like 20% of the N.T. stories were based on events from one guy's life, 20% were based on events from another guy's life, 30% is an amalgamation of stories based on ten other guys, and 30% is just made up.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the stories told about the biblical Jesus were also told about hundreds of deities. Most of which predated Jesus and Christianity by 1000's of years.

Adjective
06-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Talking about religion on a messageboard is dumb, don't you guys see how useless it is?

TheMainEvent
06-21-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, the Biblical Jesus had a huge effect on our world, but it's hard to say how much of an effect the historical Jesus had. There may not even be a unique historical Jesus -- it's quite possible that something like 20% of the N.T. stories were based on events from one guy's life, 20% were based on events from another guy's life, 30% is an amalgamation of stories based on ten other guys, and 30% is just made up. Under that scenario (which is not so far-fetched), which guy gets to be on the top 10 list?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is important because so many people believe in the stories about him. Whether these events actually occured is immaterial.

goofball
06-22-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Einstein's stuff involves everything everywhere. Not just twenty percent of one species on one tiny planet for a few thousand years.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best post you've ever made.

reubenf
06-22-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying this is true of the author of Numbers, but some people at the time believed games of chance to be communication from God. This wasn't all that unreasonable at the time--with no knowledge of mechanics or forces, and with noone able to predict the outcome of a coin flip, then the explanation that the result is determined by God is as good as any.

sexdrugsmoney
06-22-2005, 07:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Putting him at 6th is a little strange to me. I don't see how you can doubt that Jesus had a more significant lasting effect on our world than any other individual."

[/ QUOTE ]

Then according to your logic David, Moses should be at least number 2, and Einstein number 1.

DarthIgnurnt
06-22-2005, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Talking about religion on a messageboard is dumb, don't you guys see how useless it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Hitler ...

... perhaps we should stick to the useful topics, like what to do when facing a reraise with JJ late in a tournament, or whether Liz Lieu is hotter than Evelyn Ng.

(FWIW - the answers are "just leave the casino" and "no, she's not")