PDA

View Full Version : another president, another crisis

10-08-2001, 07:07 PM
Hi all -

I've been listening to the tapes Lyndon Johnson kept, and I thought some of you might be interested as well. I've compiled some of the most timely conversations into one recording. In terms of humanity, intelligence, and grace, Bush suffers a hell of lot in comparison with the last central-Texas rancher president.

It's in RealAudio at http://www.mine-control.com/lbj.ram.

Yours,

Jim

ps - the sound quality is pretty bad at first, but gets better a couple of minutes in.

10-08-2001, 07:59 PM
"Bush suffers a hell of lot in comparison with the last central-Texas rancher president.'

Yeah, Bush is still about 50 thousand dead boys short of that cowboy.

10-08-2001, 08:35 PM
50,00 dead American boys. The number of dead Asian boys is in the millions.

"Grace" is not the first word that comes to mind in thinking about LBJ.

10-08-2001, 08:58 PM
Well, apparantly the only reason I can understand any of this is because I have nice headphones. No one else can. So here's a transcript of the first two calls, from Air Force One.

Also, Mac users seem to need to follow this slightly different link: http://www.mine-control.com/lbj.ram

Call #1

GROUND RADIOMAN: Uh, AF One from Crown, Mrs. Kennedy on go ahead please.

STAFF MEMBER: Hello, Mrs. Kennedy, Hello, Mrs. Kennedy. We're talking from the airplane, can you hear us all right?

ROSE KENNEDY (JFK's mother): Hello.

STAFF MEMBER: Yes, Mrs. Kennedy. I have Mr. Johnson for you here.

LBJ: Mrs. Kennedy?

ROSE KENNEDY : Yes, Mr. President?

LBJ: I wish to God there was something that I could do. I wanted to tell you that we were grieving with you.

ROSE: Thank you very much, thank you very much. I know. I know you loved Jack and he loved you.

Ladybird Johnson: Mrs. Kennedy? We realize we (inaudible).

ROSE: All right, thank you very much. Goodbye. Thank you very much. Goodbye. Goodbye. Goodbye.

Call #2

GROUND RADIOMAN: Volunteer would like a patch with Mrs. Connally, governor Connally's wife. Is that a Roger?

(Note: Volunteer is LBJ's code name. Mrs. Connally was the wife of Texas Governor John Connally, who was wounded along with JFK. He had also been LBJ's aid.)

AIR RADIOMAN: Roger.

GROUND RADIOMAN: Roger, roger, standby one.

GROUND RADIOMAN: AF One, would you put volunteer on the line please? Mrs. Kennedy is standing by for his call.

MRS. CONNALLY: Can you hear me, can you hear me?

LADYBIRD JOHNSON: Just heard some reassuring news, over the TV. We are up in the plane, but the surgeon, speaking about John, sounded so reassuring.

GROUND RADIOMAN: Mrs. Johnson?

LBJ: Bird can you hear me?

LADYBIRD JOHNSON: Yes.

LBJ: I love you darling. And I know that everything's going to be all right, isn't it?

LADYBIRD JOHNSON: Yes, it's going to be all right.

LBJ: God bless you darling.

LADYBIRD JOHNSON: The same to you.

LBJ: (inaudible) A hug and kiss for me.

LADYBIRD JOHNSON: Good luck.

Call 3 and 4 are from the ground and should be a little more audible.

10-08-2001, 09:03 PM
Points well taken. Another thing that comes out from these tapes is that LBJ was much more conflicted about the Vietnam War than anyone guessed. He made a terrible, terrible decision, yes. But that doesn't he did handle the very difficult period after the assasination masterfully. And he did a great job on civil rights, in my opinion. His social programs may have been misguided but they came from an honest desire to help, in my opinion.

But then I wasn't born then, so what the hell do I know. I just thought the tapes were dramatic and wanted to share them.

Mashie

10-09-2001, 01:01 PM
"

ROSE: Thank you very much, thank you very much. I know. I know you loved Jack and he loved you.

"

How else could a person in LBJ's shoes have behaved under those circumstances? But I'll bet he probably trembled with the excitement of assuming the Presidency.

I think it is commonly understood that LBJ had nothing but contempt and perhaps even hatred for the Kennedys. JFK treated his VP like a persona non grata.

LBJ's civil rights record is exceptional however.