PDA

View Full Version : Early thoughts on the new blinds structure

45suited
06-20-2005, 02:08 AM
These are my random thoughts, I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say...

1) I think that my ITM and ROI will be slightly higher.

2) Full games are lasting ~6 minutes longer. This is more than I had expected.

3) I've had to tighten up my tendency to push until later in the game or until I have better hands.

4) The fish still suck. Lower blinds actually give them more ability to misplay and make mistakes.

5) Due to the slower games, I am adding an extra table so that my $ / hour does not suffer. This is not a big deal since I currently am only 3 tabling and should have added more tables anyway.

6) It's no big deal, but it feels very odd seeing so much post-flop play at the later levels. Alot of post-flop play on the bubble even. As I said, I've noticed that the 75-150 level merely has allowed my fishier opponents to get themselves into trouble. So far, I've had the luxury of being much more patient with marginal cards on the bubble and just sitting back and watching my opponents get involved in all kinds of post-flop fireworks.

It feels really weird getting ITM this way so often. This has been over a small sample size (70 games) so maybe it's too early to make any judgments...

7) As some of us have written recently, BBs seem to be calling more when faced with SB pushes. I had planned on being a bit more selective in these spots anyway, and the new blind structure seems to promote being more selective as well.

Also, as a follower of PVS's advice on levels 3 and 4 play, I'd be interested in seeing any revisions that he thinks are appropriate.

Anyone else have any early thoughts on what they've seen so far?

Onaflag
06-20-2005, 02:21 AM
I've read a lot that past few days about the changed blind structure. I have just returned to SNG after a year hiatus at limit. Could someone please post or link to the old blind structure as compared to the new one? Also, there is no mention whether this applies to all buyin levels.

If this is obviously available somewhere, I haven't been able to find it.

Onaflag..........

TheUsher
06-20-2005, 02:33 AM
These are exactly the same as my thoughts about the new level. I'm personally loving it.

nate1729
06-20-2005, 02:33 AM
PartyPoker SNGs have a 75-150 level between 50-100 and 100-200.

Degen
06-20-2005, 03:05 AM
o wow

i've been in vegas the last few days and didn't know this had happened...bummer.

I HATE FLOPS!!!

does this mean i need to learn how to play poker?

treeofwisdom7
06-20-2005, 03:33 AM
ive played as many games as you .. i enjoy the new blinds. it allows more playing time and more going all in at strategic times.

curtains
06-20-2005, 04:08 AM
I still need some work on my 15 times tables but Im getting there...

treeofwisdom7
06-20-2005, 04:10 AM
your right the 15 x table is a little hard at first but at this rate party poker is gonna make all of us math wizzes

TheNoodleMan
06-20-2005, 12:11 PM
I hate to even bring this term up, but I have been using the Stop and Go more often, particularly on the bubble and ITM. With the blinds being smaller, pushing often makes less sense than making a 3xBB raise and then pushing the flop. The results are: 1) cheaper steal attempts that you can get away from if re-raised. 2) winning more significant pots on flop pushes.

Bigwig
06-20-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I still need some work on my 15 times tables but Im getting there...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahah!

I'm running into the same problem. I'm sitting there looking at the screen musing...

"Okay, I have how many BB's? Oh, okay, I have 8. Well, I don't think I should push this hand. I'll muck. When are the blinds going up again? Oh, maybe I should. No, I can get through one orbit there (BEEP BEEP, BEEP BEEP!) without much trouble."

Hero folds.

As far as 45suited's post goes, I mostly agree. So far I like the change. Quite a bit, in fact. I just hope that Party stops right there.

benza13
06-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Don't worry, for good players, its not that much of a change, but you can now be more selective about pushing in level 4, because the jump to level 5 isn't as severe. Its not significant enough that you will need to learn too many new moves.

jeffraider
06-20-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm liking the new level a lot. I think either one of two things happens now, either people go nuts too early and I make it ITM without even having to push once, or eight people manage to tighten up and we're sitting at 150/300 and the big stack has like 1300 with 8 left. Either way it's not too big a deal, but the latter scenario can get really tense, but generally us push/folders have a nice big advantage when all the stacks are shallow and the blinds are big, because our fold equity is quite good in nearly any spot.

Vetstadium
06-20-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't seem to mind the change either but like someone posted I HOPE IT STOPS HERE. I really like the idea of finishing these things in less than hour. I haven't calcualted it out yet but was getting about 5.5 an hour in while four tabling. Early guess is not much of a difference maybe 5 an hour in on avg. I just don't want to see 90 min SNG's that is why I play at Party skins.

reecelights
06-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Maybe we should all print this out...

I think. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Phoenix1010
06-20-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm loving it. SnGs are fun again for the moment.