PDA

View Full Version : Who's watching "Intervention"?

BusterStacks
06-20-2005, 01:23 AM
This is the first time I've seen it. Heavy stuff...

discuss

tonypaladino
06-20-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the first time I've seen it. Heavy stuff...

discuss

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed tonights, but I try to catch it when I can.

IMO "heavy" is an understatement. It's very rare today to find a TV show that captures so much emotion and provokes serious empathy and thought in the viewer.

I don't know how the show does in terms of ratings, but I hope that people aren't lumping it in the same catagory as "reality shows".

It is what it is though, a reality show, and it was done well. A&E did well by not developing it as a "Get Entertained By Watching People Suffer" show, as we might see if a network had developed the idea. However, I do find it kind of hard to see a show like this being promoted alongside Gasteneu (sp?) Girls and Growing Up Gotti.

I would personally think that shows like those (reality shows with overacting) and a show like Intervention ( a serious reality-showish documentary series) wouldn't have the same target audience, and I don't know enough about the TV business to know which auidence represents A&E's core, and which is more profitable to advertisers.

I think it really is something new, which is really refreshing in an era of "Date My Mom" "The Real Gilligan's Island" and Fear Factor.

Anyone who hasn't seen the show should check it out.
Especially the one about Gambling Adictions /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TONY

Spaded
06-20-2005, 05:28 AM
Yes! I saw the first episode where that 20-something guy, who acts like a complete spoiled child, lost well over $300,000 of his upper-middle class parents' money on blackjack. He was SO distraught when the intervention happened, he thought everyone was out to get him. The guy had a genius IQ and graduated college in his teens with a degree in biochem. His life turned to muck when his rap career didn't take off (not joking). He turned to blackjack and went on SERIOUS tilt, claiming that its "NOT FAIR!!!" whenever he loses a big hand.