PDA

View Full Version : Ok to 3-bet?

trentcroad
06-20-2005, 01:12 AM
This line ok here, this guys a TAG!

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.66 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.66 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 11.66 BB

Harv72b
06-20-2005, 01:16 AM
Fold preflop. Even against an openraise from the CO, you're dominated or drawing to 3 outs often enough to make me greatly dislike ATo in this situation.

Failing that, fold to the flop 3-bet. There's no realistic draw present, so he's firmly telling you that he understands you have an A and he's still confident he can beat it.

Congrats if you did end up winning this hand. It won't happen often.

trentcroad
06-20-2005, 01:19 AM
Thanks again harv.
I felt this was a borderline play!

Pat Southern
06-20-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop. Even against an openraise from the CO, you're dominated or drawing to 3 outs often enough to make me greatly dislike ATo in this situation.

Failing that, fold to the flop 3-bet. There's no realistic draw present, so he's firmly telling you that he understands you have an A and he's still confident he can beat it.

Congrats if you did end up winning this hand. It won't happen often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I've been playing too much 6-max, but I would think this is an auto 3-bet preflop. I also think that you can't fold to his flop 3-bet, since he didn't cap preflop. He is just as likely to have A8 and A4 (which you have odds to call against) as he is to have A6 or AJ. Also his lead into the preflop 3 better is strange, I would think he would be more likely to checkraise had he hit two pair or a stronger hand than yours. I also don't like a river bet, there's not many hands that you beat that will pay off here, and he's not folding a better hand for one bet.

Pog0
06-20-2005, 01:53 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he held 99 or TT. Flop and Turn bets to serve 2 purposes: 1. Get you to fold overcards if you don't have an ace, 2. Get you to fold a marginal ace. He knows you aren't folding an ace by the river, and no more protection is needed, so he check/calls anyway incase you were overplaying a pair of 8s in what looked like a ragged battle for the blinds. Of course he could have a legitimate hand like AK or AQ and now just check calls because previous action strikes fear into him that you may hold two pair.

99-KK, any ace, and probably even some blind stealing K8 or 89s is calling you.

I'd be reluctant to play this hand preflop against an unknown player, but all too often you're against a weaker blind stealing hand preflop to lay this down, and calling is never an option here.

Harv72b
06-20-2005, 01:56 AM
Out of position a lot of people won't cap with hands like AJ or AQ, or even sometimes AK, whether or not it's come down to shorthanded play. It's also possible on the flop that he hit with 44 or 66, both of which might play preflop the same &amp; lead the flop with the intention of 3-betting. Or of course that he hit with something like A4 or A6, and doesn't want to risk Hero folding a hand like TT to a flop check/raise.

Getting back to the preflop 3-bet, I do like that better than coldcalling (which plain sucks with a hand like ATo), but I'd still rather just muck it &amp; wait for the next hand. ATo is a lot like a low pocket pair...it's great for attacking the blinds, but not so great for resteal attempts as you never really know where you're at postflop (barring a monster flop, of course). Then again, maybe I've been playing too much NL lately &amp; that has my thinking warped. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mosta
06-20-2005, 05:31 AM
fold is reasonable, but 3-bet is okay considering that the opener is a steal position. but post flop what does raising accomplish? he's not going to fold a better ace. you don't want to slow him down wiht A7 or 99.