PDA

View Full Version : Drawing to the 4th nut flush.

DcifrThs
06-20-2005, 12:41 AM
ok playing button raises, pretty agro but not rediculous sb 3 bets i call in the bb w/ 9s9c.

flop is AsKsXs.sb checks i check button bets sb folds i call.

turn is a blank. i check call.

river is a spade i check call.

comments on all streets?

-Barron

etizzle
06-20-2005, 01:01 AM
I like making it 4 bets preflop. Your hand is very likely to be best and theres some chance you can get it HU.

The 5 bet cap might make it closer to just a call, as you don't want to be putting in 5 bets HU with an almost certainly dominated hand. But I still like a raise here.

On the river I think you can safely bet/fold, especially if he will often just call with the Ts or Js here. I don't think an 'ok playing button' would bluff in this spot.

Subfallen
06-20-2005, 03:27 AM
I'm sure you have your reasons, but I agree 4-betting preflop seems best if you have any significant chance of getting it HU with position and dead money in the pot.

And river certainly does look like a bet fold, I mean what else can you have but a spade here?

Interested to hear your reasoning.

tl65\
06-20-2005, 03:45 AM
I also prefer a cap preflop, but since you called, what about a checkraise on the flop?

Lawrence Ng
06-20-2005, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
river is a spade i check call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the check..just thinking about whether or not a raise or call would indeed be a better play here.

Spent 5 minutes thinking and I still can't think of a good reason to check-raise this river. There are just too many possibilities on button's hands.

Lawrence

DcifrThs
06-20-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you have your reasons, but I agree 4-betting preflop seems best if you have any significant chance of getting it HU with position and dead money in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

-button is not folding to my cap when the 3bettor is too agro. my range would be wider vs. a looser/agro player.

-i want to see if the button caps. if he does i can significantly narrow his range of hands down and if he doesn't then,...

-i can isolate the sb on the flop w/ hands that he'd be correct to continue with if he capped and i bet into him on a favorable flop.

-i keep the pot smaller to make the sb more incorrect on the flop where 99 is a and that i dont think you win much or lose much either way w/ a cap (the small enticement to continue vs. the size of pot when you win). its not like AA where you win a huge % of every bet 2 opponents put in the pot. you have to raise that there if you are pretty sure the button will call the 2 cold pf.

[ QUOTE ]

And river certainly does look like a bet fold, I mean what else can you have but a spade here?

Interested to hear your reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i bet he folds hands he would bet behind like sets or top 2 that he thinks i'll fold a spade to. if i bet and am raised i dont see a showdown.

EDIT: conversely, he may call with those same hands i have beat but would check behind some of the time. overall though, given the fact that its the 4th nut flush i think some of the value is removed as explained below.

w/ one rank flush higher i think a bet fold is necessary but w/ the outstanding spades over my 9s all of which call it takes a bit of value away from the value part of the bet.

-Barron

Subfallen
06-20-2005, 06:15 PM
You do indeed have your reasons. /images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks for the persepctive.

DcifrThs
06-20-2005, 06:44 PM
so to recap i had 99 in the bb and ok button riases, agro sb 3bets i call button calls.

AsKsxs flop i check call and do the same on blank turn and river spade.

so i check call the river and he shows me QQ, no spade and my 9 high flush is good.

one thing that i wanted somebody to mention was that my outs could be tainted b/c of the 3 possible higher cards out there.

then i could say that there are many combinations of pairs and aces out there and that if the flop was 8s5s3s i'd be more worried...but since offsuit hands like Ax and Kx have to have an a or a k, they have only 1/2 the likelihood of containing a spade, which allows me to continue (passively imo as i did) and makes up for the times im beat by one of the higher spades (b/c of the dead money in the pot...now its kinda ironic b/c if i capped i would be more correct to continue w/ pot size taken into consideration)

a few interesting issues here imo (flop action w/ AKss on board and its affect on villian's hand range and holdings....river action,violation of clark's rule > ev than clarks rule in this spot?)

-Barron