PDA

View Full Version : King of Clutch

tbach24
06-19-2005, 11:48 PM
Robert Horry. 7 points, 1 minute. So clutch.

MightyMouse
06-19-2005, 11:53 PM
bleahhh clutch.

pujols is clutch.

PhatTBoll
06-19-2005, 11:56 PM
Well it sure isn't Duncan. Jesus Christ.

tbach24
06-19-2005, 11:56 PM
HOLY [censored] WHAT A BLOCK WALLACE IS THE MAN

mason55
06-19-2005, 11:58 PM
"Luckt for Wallace time ran out. And just as a not Chris Webber is in the building."

As an Ohio State fan, all I have to say is BWAHAHAHHA [censored] CHRIS WEBBER.

tbach24
06-20-2005, 12:08 AM
WHAT A DUNK!

mason55
06-20-2005, 12:11 AM
That was a clutch free throw Horry missed.

mason55
06-20-2005, 12:11 AM
Bwahaha, Duncan no FGs in 9:37!!! Bwahaha. Duncan does NOT know how step up. He is the most UN clutch player ever.

DougOzzzz
06-20-2005, 12:13 AM
That 3 was okay though

kipin
HOLY [censored]!! AMAZING THREE

IndieMatty
[ QUOTE ]
Bwahaha, Duncan no FGs in 9:37!!! Bwahaha. Duncan does NOT know how step up. He is the most UN clutch player ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

what a game.

I want to go to bed.

tbach24
WOOOOOOOOOOOOW THERE IS NO DENYING THAT THIS MAN IS CLUTCH HOLY [censored] THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

mason55
06-20-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WOOOOOOOOOOOOW THERE IS NO DENYING THAT THIS MAN IS CLUTCH HOLY [censored] THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok that 3 made me eat my words. They are tasty words and all but man, horry just showed me up. Detroit still wins though.

Edit: I write this BEFORE the inbounds.

Aytumious
06-20-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tbach24
06-20-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok that 3 made me eat my words. They are tasty words and all but man, horry just showed me up. Detroit still wins though.

Edit: I write this BEFORE the inbounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so

DougOzzzz
06-20-2005, 12:16 AM
basketball sucks. This game should have been over half an hour ago. Why can't they limit timeouts to 1 per quarter or something?

Voltron87
06-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Robert Horry for three! YES!!!

I love that announcer... YES!

Clarkmeister
06-20-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This game should have been over half an hour ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but the Pistons kept letting an old man tear them apart.

mason55
06-20-2005, 12:18 AM
terrible. what is detroit doing. terrible. they deserve to lose this series. the nba should just give out the trophy now.

tbach24
06-20-2005, 12:19 AM
brutal

he got mauled

what a game tho

spurs will win game 6, this is over

tbach24
06-20-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
terrible. what is detroit doing. terrible. they deserve to lose this series. the nba should just give out the trophy now.

[/ QUOTE ]

they decided to give it to SA before the series

mason55
06-20-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they decided to give it to SA before the series

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone wasn't sure that last possession sealed the deal.

Hal 2000
06-20-2005, 12:22 AM
Does anyone think Horry has a shot at the Hall of Fame???

Phoenix1010
06-20-2005, 12:23 AM
Jesus Christ. I can't believe what I just saw. Horry is just incredible.

Josh W
06-20-2005, 12:24 AM
Yes, but not as good as Christian Laettner.

tech
I agree. One of the best clutch players ever. So where is he the rest of the time?

Vince Young
He doesn't even have a shot at ever being an All-Star.

Phoenix1010
06-20-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
basketball sucks. This game should have been over half an hour ago. Why can't they limit timeouts to 1 per quarter or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to hate you people. No one cares about your opinion. If you don't like basketball, stay the [censored] out of the basketball threads. This was one of the best games in years.

mason55
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahhaha you're hilarious.

Hal 2000
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you Longhorn QB Vince Young?

Hal 2000
06-20-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some might consider my statement a stretch, but think about it... they put Mazeroski in the Baseball Hall of Fame....

andyfox
06-20-2005, 12:29 AM
One of the most spectacular clutch peforamcnes in NBA playoff history.

Saved Duncan's ass.

DougOzzzz
06-20-2005, 12:31 AM
I should have said "This aspect of basketball sucks."

I don't think basketball actually sucks, just it would be MUCH more entertaining if the last 2 minutes of every game did not take 20 minutes. Just like I hate seeing 3 pitcher changes in 1 half inning of baseball. I see these moves (timeouts in basketball, multiple pitching changes in an inning in baseball) as having a miniscule strategical benefit while costing the FANS their entertainment value.

mmbt0ne
06-20-2005, 12:31 AM
If by

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
he got mauled

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean he threw his elbow all up in Parker's face and should've been called for an offensive foul, I agree.

Vince Young
06-20-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you Longhorn QB Vince Young?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wish. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Voltron87
06-20-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If by

[ QUOTE ]
he got mauled

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean he threw his elbow all up in Parker's face and should've been called for an offensive foul, I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vince Young
06-20-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I see these moves (timeouts in basketball, multiple pitching changes in an inning in baseball) as having a miniscule strategical benefit

[/ QUOTE ]
You should get some glasses.

Jack of Arcades
06-20-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some might consider my statement a stretch, but think about it... they put Mazeroski in the Baseball Hall of Fame....

[/ QUOTE ]

Maz was inducted much more for favoritism in the Veteran's Committee than his homer.

Clarkmeister
06-20-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If by

[ QUOTE ]
he got mauled

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true. There is NO WAY that they are ever calling that a foul there. He was way out of control.

DougOzzzz
06-20-2005, 12:43 AM
Okay, a timeout past half court helps the team setup an inbounds play from their side of the court, fine. But why the back-to-back timeouts after the 3 pointer? And why must the timeouts be so long? And if they limited the timeouts to 1 per quarter, would that give either team an advantage over the other? It took several minutes from the time of Horry's 3 until Detroits last possession. Several minutes for 5 seconds of play.

Phoenix1010
06-20-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Horry is Captain Mediocre. He doesn't have the slightest chance at making the HOF. The alien from the planet MVP that inhabits his body during the final minutes of big playoff games is a first ballot lock however.

tomahawk
06-20-2005, 12:48 AM
LOL that was so sweet! I had 500 bucks on SA and was sure I was losing it the whole OT.

Did anyone get flashbacks to the ending of Space Jam seeing that Horry dunk in slowmotion? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

tomahawk
06-20-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, a timeout past half court helps the team setup an inbounds play from their side of the court, fine. But why the back-to-back timeouts after the 3 pointer? And why must the timeouts be so long? And if they limited the timeouts to 1 per quarter, would that give either team an advantage over the other? It took several minutes from the time of Horry's 3 until Detroits last possession. Several minutes for 5 seconds of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about the benjamins

DougOzzzz
06-20-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fewer commercials -&gt; more people watching -&gt; higher prices for commercials.

holeplug
06-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Billups was killing the Spurs down the stretch cause poor Tony Parker is too skinny to guard him. Then they finally put Bowen on him and he goes 0-4 in the 4th and OT to finish the game.

Larry Brown got out coached this game too at the end. How can you not tell your player to guard the inbounder especially when its Horry? And the Spurs prevented Billups from getting the ball on the last possesion of OT which allowed Hamiliton to bumble around trying to create his own shot.

mmbt0ne
06-20-2005, 01:00 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
How can you not tell your player to guard the inbounder especially when its Horry?

[/ QUOTE ]

GuaranSHEED should've been on that old man's ass after he hit 2 in a row to end the 3rd/start the 4th quarter. He's the only person to blame for the loss.

DougOzzzz
06-20-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How can you not tell your player to guard the inbounder especially when its Horry?

[/ QUOTE ]

GuaranSHEED should've been on that old man's ass after he hit 2 in a row to end the 3rd/start the 4th quarter. He's the only person to blame for the loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, Hamilton was pretty crappy as usual (for this series).

istewart
06-20-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mazeroski also played a little thing called second base. And he played it well.

Amazing game, though. Horry's shots were bringing back memories of his Rockets days. He certainly saved Duncan's ass, whoever said that (Duncan looked like Nick Anderson did in the Magic/Rockets final when he missed 4 straight free throws).

holeplug
06-20-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, Hamilton was pretty crappy as usual (for this series).

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowen has just owned Hamilton this series, which usually happens with Bowen anyway. Going into the finals Hamilton was averaging 21.3 pts per game and shooting 48.1% from the field. In the finals his numbers are way down to 15.8 pts and shooting a terrible 37.2% from the field.

tomahawk
06-20-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fewer commercials -&gt; more people watching -&gt; higher prices for commercials.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would have been nice, but appearantly it just doesn't add up like that. If I were to guess I'd say this is caused by a combination of two factors.

Most people who wants to watch the final seconds of the pivotal match of the NBA finals will not be deterred by several minutes of commercials.

And also the prices on these commercials are so high as it is now that upping them further might be unreasonable.

The timeouts also allows the coaches to play a bigger role towards the end of games. Someone above mentioned out-coaching in this game by Pop, which I totally agree with, and this would not have been possible with only one timeout per team. It gives the better coach a chance to exploit his edge (not saying Pop is better than Brown here, but he was in this game).

Ideally, if it weren't for the producers and money concern though I think they might have reduced the timeouts by one per team per quarter, or maybe changed a full or two to 20 second timeouts.

AngryCola
06-20-2005, 04:19 AM
He was the reason they won the game.
There's no questioning that.

I'm just glad the Pistons got a chance to defend their title, and did it very well. One Horry miss and they probably win the series. As a Pistons fan, I can't really ask for much more.
Although I'm sure some could.

Spurs win in game six.

nh

AngryCola
06-20-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Larry Brown got out coached this game too at the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just another completely silly statement made by you about basketball.
Yes, the Spurs now win the Finals.

Congrats, but I don't think you really understand why it happened.

Bulldog
06-20-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the 26 points and 19 rebounds he got in a huge game 5 on the road not mean anything because he missed his last 3 FGAs?

He was pretty clutch in a game 5 last year too before Derek Fisher somehow trumped him.

Oh, and way to rip Horry for the one FT he missed. He should've had 22 points in 17:01 of game time instead of 21.

Sponger15SB
06-20-2005, 11:47 AM
I consider Robert Horry to be the luckiest player in NBA history. Nothing more. Are we really praising a career 7ppg player? pffffttt

tbach24
06-20-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I consider Robert Horry to be the luckiest player in NBA history. Nothing more. Are we really praising a career 7ppg player? pffffttt

[/ QUOTE ]

He has consistently been great down the stretch in key games. The Kings would've beat the Lakers that year if it weren't for him and the Pistons would've won this series if it weren't for him.

Aytumious
06-20-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason he really can play well in clutch situations. He's hit some huge shots in his career, which are even more remarkable considering he was not any type of allstar normally.

tomahawk
06-20-2005, 03:01 PM
He's the DERB of basketball!

tomahawk
06-20-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Larry Brown got out coached this game too at the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just another completely silly statement made by you about basketball.
Yes, the Spurs now win the Finals.

Congrats, but I don't think you really understand why it happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the Pistons couldn't set up one single play that enabled Rip to get a bucket against Parker in the last 6-7 minutes of the game. If Rip had continued punishing Parker like Billups did, AND like he had done earlier in the series whenever Bowen didn't play him, the Pistons woulda had it. Instead they gave it to him a couple of times on the wing and made him go one-on-one. NO set plays to get shots.

Also the half-ass trap in the corner by Wallace on the inboundspass that allowed a scorching hot player an open shot really should have been adviced against.

Horry was amazing and very lucky, but I think the Pistons were out-coached none the less.

Phoenix1010
06-20-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Well, the Pistons couldn't set up one single play that enabled Rip to get a bucket against Parker in the last 6-7 minutes of the game. If Rip had continued punishing Parker like Billups did, AND like he had done earlier in the series whenever Bowen didn't play him, the Pistons woulda had it. Instead they gave it to him a couple of times on the wing and made him go one-on-one. NO set plays to get shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

BS. I clearly remember Rip coming off a screen and missing a wide open shot late in the game. It was the kind of play they run for him all the time, and the kind of shot he makes 5000 times a year, he just missed it. He also tried taking Parker one on one a few times and he just wasn't quick enough to score against the help defense, like on the last play of the game. He just had a bad game, Bowen or no. Chauncey was having an excellent game, and he had already showed that he could score one on one against Bowen with that drive late in regulation. Larry Brown made the right decision to keep the ball in his best player's hands, Chauncey just missed a few tough shots in the lane, and Rip missed some shots he could have made.

[ QUOTE ]
Also the half-ass trap in the corner by Wallace on the inboundspass that allowed a scorching hot player an open shot really should have been adviced against.

[/ QUOTE ]

This play was so completely ridiculous that I don't think Larry Brown could have even thought Wallace was capable of making such a blunder. He might as well advise him to not call timeouts when the team doesn't have any left. Wallace left his brain at home, don't blame the coach.

AngryCola
06-20-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This play was so completely ridiculous that I don't think Larry Brown could have even thought Wallace was capable of making such a blunder. He might as well advise him to not call timeouts when the team doesn't have any left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

mosta
06-20-2005, 11:37 PM
http://www.slate.com/id/2121018/

slate article slamming horry. they're eating crow now of course. I'd like to see a complete compilation of his playoff performances. the article makes a lot of a couple bad series he had, and belittles he 3pt %age--but 36% is not really bad, right, and what is it in big games? what settles it for me is that he's such a farce of a power forward--complete inability to drive to the basket. there were two drives in this last game and both times by the time he left the ground he was moving very rapidly away from the basket trying to throw the ball back to it, like from a speeding car going the other way. I think he made at least one of them though. but there was the big dunk of course. granted that was sweet. my enduring image of him is standing around midcourt away from everyone when the ball rolls loose, to his feet, playoffs v. Sac down by 2, and he chucks it like a chucker does, and boom they win. what a luck bag.

wonderwes
06-20-2005, 11:43 PM
If anyone feels that Horry belongs in the Hall of Fame, you obviously need some more thinking on the great basketball players that are currently in there.

bugstud
06-21-2005, 01:04 PM
his game-winning threes where he doesn't rebound the ball in the last seconds and instead parks beyond the arc just in case someone else rebounds it sickens me to no end.

banditbdl
06-21-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
his game-winning threes where he doesn't rebound the ball in the last seconds and instead parks beyond the arc just in case someone else rebounds it sickens me to no end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, somebody's gonna have to shoot it, might as well be him near as myself, Sixers, Kings, and Pistons fans can attest.