PDA

View Full Version : $55 ITM w/middle pair: I played it wrong. What's the correct way?

AA suited
06-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">SB (t3220)</font>
<font color="#C00000">HERO (t2880)</font>
Button (t3900)

Preflop: HERO is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, HERO checks.

Flop: (t600) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t300</font>, HERO calls t300.

Turn: (t1200) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t500</font>, HERO calls t500.

River: (t2200) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> SB ALL-in, HERO ?

Villian has limped in previous orbit and bet out on flop that didnt hit me. i folded that one.

What is the correct play on all streets and why?!

THX!

Myst
06-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Raise the flop to 1000-1200. There is a diamond draw and a straight draw out there. If you raise too little, he'll call with one of his draws. A raise of this much should let you know where you stand. The problem with flatcalling is you have no idea where you are at.

AA suited
06-20-2005, 01:00 AM
and what if he just calls my raise on the flop?

what should i do if he checks on the turn (assume no reads)?

option1: i check. if the river card doesnt help me, and he goes all in, what should i do? (assume he has me covered)

option2: since i'm ITM already, i'm playing for 1st and assume that he;s on a draw, and that my middle pair is good. I push on the turn if checked to me.

Option2 sounds better. But Is it the correct play?

And what should i do on the river if i choose option 1?

lastchance
06-20-2005, 01:01 AM
A lot better. Too many draws not to push the turn.

InkSea
06-20-2005, 01:29 AM
To begin, if you have top pair or even second top pair, and there are two draws on the board, the last thing you want to do is call. Having said that, you definitely want to raise on the flop...and, being that you don't really know where this guy is coming from, I'd say make it a good sized raise (900 would be my number) and send villain packing.

Now, if Villain calls, there is obviously a problem - is he trying to trap you with a monster hand? Well - what could he possibly have? The diamond draw is not a concern, because he missed on the turn. Straight draw - would he chase for 900 to get it? My bet is "no," I don't think he would at this stage of the tournament. And what about two pair, trips, or even K-rag. That's possible, and you need to know a little more about your player here; namely, is he good? Because if he is good, he's going to want to defend against that straight and/or flush; if he's good, he wouldn't just call you...he'd push all-in before the turn. As for "K-rag," that's the biggest problem you have here. Since you are first to act, I would say that you, yes you, should represent that you have two pair or that you were even limping in on with a monster and put him to the test...put him all in on the turn. Knock him and that K-rag out. You've already raised now on the flop, you've already represented a big hand, and now you can follow through by a nice, solid raise. He'll probably fold. Or, he'll call and you lose - but that's poker.

Jonathan
06-20-2005, 07:22 AM
Hi,

Preflop check is fine.....see a flop.

On the flop I think you must raise to define your hand, something like half the pot.
If you don't take the pot down
right there, then you're done with the hand.

On the turn, you have a difficult decision because you
failed to define your hand on the flop. I don't like your
call because it leaves you in the same boat you were in
before. Now he bets the river, and you're still in a
quandry.

You can avoid all these problems with a moderate raise on the flop.

Suerte,
Jonathan

AA suited
06-20-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Preflop check is fine.....see a flop.

On the flop I think you must raise to define your hand, something like half the pot.
If you don't take the pot down
right there, then you're done with the hand.

On the turn, you have a difficult decision because you
failed to define your hand on the flop. I don't like your
call because it leaves you in the same boat you were in
before. Now he bets the river, and you're still in a
quandry.

You can avoid all these problems with a moderate raise on the flop.

Suerte,
Jonathan

[/ QUOTE ]

so raise flop.
check/fold on turn + river if i dont improve since he might have tp or better?

btw-villian is sb and is the 1st to act, not me.