PDA

View Full Version : Best book/s on Pot or No-Limit?

jdp
01-20-2003, 08:23 PM
Can anyone recommend? I hear that Cloutier's book is good..

happyjaypee
01-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Cloutier's book is one of the first book I got. I loved it then. I was a beginner at that time and it help me improve my play. But after getting more literate, I would'nt recommand it. Cloutier is a good poker player but the info he gives in is book seems incomplet. After reading other books, I felt TJ was holding some knowledge back. Also, I find it too expessive and badly writen.

If you really want a good PL & NL book, go for "Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker" by Stewart Ruben and Bob Ciafone. It's, in my opinion, the best and most up to date book on Big Bet poker on the market. It covers much more material then Cloutier's books. The information is accurate and valuable. The major difference is that TJ's book tend try to brainwash you to play AJ like this and QQ like that... Ciafone and Rubens are giving deeper insight and teach you how to make good decision. In my home game, it turn me from a winning player to a bulldozer! ...until my budys got a copy of it... Anyway. It cover Big bet Hold'em, Omaha, 7-stud, lowball and as a hi/lo section too. I belive this is a must read.

Hope that helps.

-Happy /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif