PDA

View Full Version : My Morning Jacket

DavidC
06-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Hi. My name's Dave, and I like My Morning Jacket.

(24 y/o male, but my parents were wise enough to expose me to lots of types of music as a kid.)

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-19-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm an Easy Morning Rebel.

mason55
06-19-2005, 10:53 PM
I don't see why this is a bad thing? Maybe that means I need to admit it too? I thought MMJ was arevolutionary band. [censored], i think I'm in troubel.

Maulik
06-19-2005, 11:06 PM
i just started a vinyl collection, never heard of them

mike l.
06-19-2005, 11:26 PM
also check out: smog, songs:ohia (aka magnolia electric co), able (from sweden), bonnie prince billy (aka will oldham, palace songs), sufjan stevens, iron and wine, timesbold, that's all i can think of right now. i like that type of music.

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Woah, am I crazy or do a lot of these not sound like My Morning Jacket at all...

mike l.
06-19-2005, 11:27 PM
they are on darla records, a great label, friends of mine for a long time. great place to buy vinyl and cds.

mason55
06-19-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Woah, am I crazy or do a lot of these not sound like My Morning Jacket at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not crazy. Many of them sound very different from MMJ. The only similarity is none of them are popular.

edit: Seriously.. Iron and Wine... compared to MMJ? That's one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've ever heard.

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Thank youuuuu.

mike l.
06-20-2005, 12:05 AM
???? did mmj change their sound or something??

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-20-2005, 12:08 AM
What album are you listening to? I only have It Still Moves, and it is more rock and far less folk.

mike l.
06-20-2005, 12:10 AM
yeah i figured it out. theyve changed!

here's a blurb from darla.com describing their first album and this is the only mmj im familiar with:

"Their debut. MY MORNING JACKET is a Louisville, Kentucky four piece Country & Rock band built around the vocal and songwriting talent of 21 year old group leader Jim James. Their sound is hauntingly classic Americana that, at times, you'll swear is coming from a veteran Country singer you've heard, but can't quite identify. You'll think it's George Jones, Glen Campbell or some '70s Johnny Cash record missing from your mental archive rather than some fresh group of young bucks. MY MORNING JACKET combines classic Country elements with the melancoly vibes of Harvest and After the Gold Rush era Neil Young, Pet Sounds era Beach Boys, and the immortal vocal stylings of The Righteous Brothers. These boys sing harmony like nobody's business. MY MORNING JACKET don't know much about the "indie" world and of what they do know, they couldn't care less. When we first querried James about Louisville music history he lit up, "Slint 7/8s timing bullshit. I'm talking about writing a [censored]' song!". The Eagles and Simon and Garfunkel were who James claimed were in heavy rotation and absorption at his residence. The closest they come in comparison to the modern guitar sound is with the languid, pre-slow-core aural heroin of On Fire era Galaxie 500. MY MORNING JACKET are not another interesting but pretentious, posturing, or campy alt-country derivation. There ain't nothin' trendy about 'em. They're the real deal. This is their debut full length release and will follow appearances on Little Darla has a Treat for You, v.11 and v.12 compilation CDs and the Darla x 4 7" featuring That Bastard Soul, Holiday Flyer and The Photon Band. You can bet your bottom dollar Darla will be working hard to make sure everyone in the press, radio and on-line awareness racket hears their fabulous 16 song debut. James recorded this collection of songs at home on cassette 4-track, on A-DAT at MY MORNING JACKET'S studio in an out-building at home in rural Louisville, and we hired Chris Koltay to record four songs on 2"/16 track analog at The Afgan Whigs studio, Ultrasuede, in Cincinnati, OH. Most satisfying.

"This is the perfect album to put on for a little rest. My Morning Jacket is more accessible than Will Oldham, more youthful than Richard Buckner, with earthy production well above lo-fi. These guys can sing, but their beautiful harmonies are selectively placed and the simple instrumentation ranges from folkie to rock-country. - Mike Burrows"

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Bumping this because it occured to me who sounds kind of close to My Morning Jacket. The Drive-By Truckers, check 'em out.

Soul Daddy
06-21-2005, 07:58 PM
They're opening for Wilco here next week. Should be a good one, but it could be a giant lullaby.

Edit: MMJ, not Drive-by Truckers.

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Wilco puts on a good show. I saw them in MSG for New Year's. The Flaming Lips were better though, or at least more entertaining, given the giant venue.

I'd expect to enjoy it though. Haven't seen MMJ in concert, but I think my friend saw them in Bonaroo last year and liked their set. Maybe I'm making that all up though.