PDA

View Full Version : Rifle I saw and other gun talk

Zeno
06-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Saw a Ruger mini-30 rifle w/30 round mag and a Swarovski scope for $1,100. Swarovski scopes alone are about $1200-$1500 each. Swarovski Rifle Scopes (http://www.riflescopes.com/departments/277/rifle_scopes/swarovski_riflescopes/swarovski_professional_hunter_riflescopes.htm?sb=& so=&page=1) The rifle looked in excellent condition (being sold on consignment). The scope is some odd 3x9 something.

Good purchase?

Also saw a .357 Model 65 SW Revolver on sale for only $425.

Good buy?

-Zeno

cardcounter0
06-19-2005, 03:58 PM
The ruger rifle sounds like a good deal. Nothing wrong with a 3x9 scope. Ruger makes quality stuff, and as long as the scope isn't banged all to hell, this should be a good value.

S&W makes junk only fit for cops to carry, I would pass on that one.

wacki
06-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Only for you Zeno....... (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1603291#post1603291)

Zeno
06-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks Wacki.

I'm off to swim and then go flyfishing.

I'll Check-in later tonight.

-Zeno

slamdunkpro
06-19-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also saw a .357 Model 65 SW Revolver on sale for only $425.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda pricey for a 65, You can pick these up all day from police gun brokers for $125 - $175.

slamdunkpro
06-19-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
S&W makes junk

[/ QUOTE ]

Try again. S&W makes about the best revolvers. They are the small block Chevy of the gun world. Everyone makes accessories and parts for them and almost any gunsmith can work on them.

The only 357 that you can get a better trigger pull on is a Colt Python.

benfranklin
06-19-2005, 06:35 PM
I'm not familiar with the Mini-30, but I have a Mini-14 (basically the same gun in .223 Remington). It's a good plinker and target rifle, but certainly nothing for long-range precision shooting. Assuming the Mini-30 is comparable, I'd guess that that scope is extreme over-kill for that rifle.

You should be able to get a new Mini-30 for around $500. (See gunbroker.com for prices.) I'd guess you could spend another $100-150 for a good scope that is still better than the Mini-30 shoots.

A lot depends on what you want it for. You might want to look at the Mini-14. I would think that the .223 would be a better round than the 7.62x39mm for targets and such, unless you need it for something like pest control. I bought mine a few years back, but if I remember right (and I usually don't) I paid about $500 new, mounted with a decent scope, from a big sporting goods chain.

The 30 round mag should be cheap and readily available with the Assault Weapon Ban gone the way of the dodo. (And we've all seen the blood in the streets as a result of that.)

benfranklin
06-19-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

S&W makes about the best revolvers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only revolver better than a S&W is an old S&W.

The Stranger
06-19-2005, 08:16 PM
A funny picture of my friend:

http://img300.echo.cx/img300/5176/bigwill8mo.jpg

Blarg
06-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Isn't that the guy who got burned by toxic waste in Robocop?

Larimani
06-19-2005, 09:51 PM
How about "Don't buy a firearm" ?

brassnuts
06-19-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooooh.. Snap.. How long did it take to think that one up?

Blarg
06-19-2005, 09:58 PM
Well, stealing them is just not right, so I'm sticking to the buying thing.

Of course, we could always go to London, where it's safe, and have what is it, three times the chance of being assaulted? That sounds like a way to live that we could learn a few lessons from.

bisonbison
06-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Is that the recoil or is your friend melting?

Larimani
06-19-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Stranger
06-20-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he's just fat. actually he was about 330 pounds when I met him, so he's doing pretty good now.

benfranklin
06-20-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit too late for that advice. We already bought and used our firearms to send you chaps packing back across the pond.

Equally timely, how is King George these days, anyway?

wacki
06-20-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late. Most of the people in this thread own em already.

Zeno
06-20-2005, 12:51 AM
I checked on the link wacki provided and read the comments. Most also said the scope was a bit much for that rifle but that it was a reasonable deal. New Mini-30s are now about $800. Possibly cheaper depending on dealers or sporting chains etc. Still, I think I will purchase this rifle. I may start hunting deer again, or not. I haven't decided yet. I need this rifle because there are many pests in the world and I like to have options. If the scope is overkill I could remove it, sell it and use the money to buy another handgun. I need a revolver to go along with my .45 auto.

Thanks for the info.

[ QUOTE ]
The 30 round mag should be cheap and readily available with the Assault Weapon Ban gone the way of the dodo. (And we've all seen the blood in the streets as a result of that.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good One. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Zeno

benfranklin
06-20-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I need this rifle because there are many pests in the world and I like to have options.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Unfortunately, a goodly number of them are on the internet, where firearms are ineffective, and potentially dangerous to one's own property.

2. While the term "tourist season" may seem fortuitous and attractive, you really can't bag them, even with a valid hunting license.

SmileyEH
06-20-2005, 01:09 AM
He has the skin of a 300lb man.

-SmileyEH

Zeno
06-20-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you have one? I just sold my 9mm Beretta so I'm skimming along with only 5 firearms at the momment. One 12-gauge, one 4-10, one .45 Auto, one Ruger .22 Rifle, and a Old Army Ruger .44 (muzzle loader, civil war era replica).

You limeys need to catch up. Run down to your local sporting goods store and start stocking up right away.

Bang Bang Zeno

benfranklin
06-20-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He appears to be part Shar-Pei. Just a thought.

http://www.artglass-pottery.com/images/Sandicast/192SharPeiRed.jpg

Ray Zee
06-20-2005, 01:32 AM
i got the model 19 thirty years ago and its nice. i would find an old three screw if i got another one. four inch barrel of course. but my model 340pd 357 is the cats meow for concealed carry. nothing beats it in my mind. about 600 bucks. its found in my back pocket alot when i dont want to put my 44 mag mountain revolver there.

i dont like buying used guns for lots of reasons. one of which is why are they selling. too often something is wrong that is hard to fix. or if it was used in a crime you may not like finding that out ten years from now and explaining the gun.

Zeno
06-20-2005, 02:02 AM
When I get the Revolver it will be a New Gun. I'm set on getting a .357. I'm taking your advice on that one, just not sure which model yet. The rifle is good, I suspect that it was a 'Ranch rifle'; some husband bought his wife a rife and put on the best scope in the world, she doesn't want it anymore and is selling it, her name is Ann. Bet they used it to hunt Antelope. It was probably only used rarely. That's my theory anyway. I'll check it out more this week.

By the way, I had a good evening fishing. Caught three, one rainbow and two German Browns. One got away that I hooked in fast water. I Let one of the browns go and will eat the others for dinner tomorrow. Perfect pan size, 10-11 inches. Beautiful evening, I fished till dusk, with a big moon rising on my walk back to the truck. Listened to Bob Dylan on my drive home. On the way, I saw two small young raccoons in the road, almost hit one. Their mom was killed I am sure by a car and they were just wondering about lost. I stopped and was thinking of trying to save them. I got to within 3 feet of them but there is not much I could do. Cute critters. I suppose coyotes or a bobcat will get them soon. To bad.

Thanks for the gun advice. Someday I have to make it to Montana. I just can't say for sure when I can swing it.

-Zeno

Ray Zee
06-20-2005, 03:02 AM
rivers are all blown out here from the rain. high and muddy. i havent been but they are catching lots of 6 to eight pound rainbows on the indian reservation on nymphs.

benfranklin
06-20-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i got the model 19 thirty years ago and its nice. i would find an old three screw if i got another one. four inch barrel of course. but my model 340pd 357 is the cats meow for concealed carry. nothing beats it in my mind. about 600 bucks. its found in my back pocket alot when i dont want to put my 44 mag mountain revolver there.

i dont like buying used guns for lots of reasons. one of which is why are they selling. too often something is wrong that is hard to fix. or if it was used in a crime you may not like finding that out ten years from now and explaining the gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got my Model 19 used from a reputable dealer. No problems there with the history, and in the highly unlikely event that there is anything wrong with a classic S&W, I go right back to the dealer with it.

I would never buy anything used from someone I didn't know without having a gunsmith check it out and getting good paperwork. The one time I did buy from a private party, even though I trusted him, I got a signed bill of sale and a photocopy of his driver's license.

An armed society is a polite society. --Robt. Heinlein