PDA

View Full Version : Babe's Best Boys Golf Tourney Results '05- FRONT NINE

PokerBabe(aka)
06-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Greetings all golf enthusiasts. Last Friday, June 17th was the 2nd annual Babe’s Best Boys golf tournament.

Although many best boys were invited, several (Jason Brown and Bob S.) failed to show for the 2nd year in a row. ! Roy Cooke (who has not yet made the BB list), also cancelled a few days prior to the event. Dynasty cancelled at the last minute, saying that a 7:30 tee time was “too early” for him. He said he goes to sleep at 4-5 AM, so he couldn’t possibly make the event. However, my best boy and wonderful mentor Barry Tanenbaum keeps the same hours, and HE was able to make the event with no problem.

Our total count ended up being 9 players. I broke the teams into only 2 with 4 and 5 players, respectively.

Team A consisted of Babe, Dominic, J.P. (aka Old Fart) and Vic. Dominic and Vic made their debuts this year in the tourney and definitely will be invited back next year. Dominic is a newcomer to Vegas and Vic is a long time Vegas resident. J.P is a Best Boy, and of course, the Babe needs no introduction.

Team B was Babe’s hubby (Pete), Barry Tanenbaum, Jay Celesti, Abe Springfield (Dan) and Max Power (Johnathon).
Barry T and Pete are from Vegas, Jay is from Cincinnati , Dan is from Illinois and Max is from NY.

Did I mention that NONE of the boys were late? A+ for promptness boys!

While promptness was not a problem, we had a few guys that apparently didn’t get the memo about the cap color (sent out approximately one month prior to the event) . Andy Fox was gracious enough to provide the official BBB 2nd Annual Golf Tournament caps and we did them in powder blue with navy letters. They came out perfectly – THANKS ANDY! However, a few boys were not thinking about their “overall look” and failed to color coordinate their outfits with the caps. Next year, we are doing Pink, I think, so that should give everyone plenty of time to think about what to wear!

The format for the tournament (as always) is best ball. Everyone played from the middle tees except for Babe, who got to move forward. Each team was required to use all members’ drives in equal proportion. No mulligans allowed.

After some photo ops, we ventured out. I was the notetaker for my team, with Dominic keeping score. Jay was the notetaker and scorekeeper for team B.

I should mention that the wind was howling all during the play at anywhere from 25-45 mph. For some people, this would present too much of a challenge, but my Best Boys are FEARLESS .

Here are some highlights of the tournament.

Hole #1 -290 yd Par 4.

Team A starts off strong with Dominic’s drive straight down the middle. We par the hole with Dominic carrying us all the way. Team B is off to a good start as well, with Dan in the lead. Dan’s drive is a beauty and he also chips to within 3 feet of the hole. Dan makes that 3 footer and Team B birdies the first hole.

Hole #2 -465 yd. Par 5.

Dominic crushes one 250 yds. Down the middle as Babe drop kicks hers. J.P. hits a nice drive, but Dominic still is in front. I am really glad I have Dominic on my team (lol). I offer Vic a dollar if he can make the 215 yd second shot. Alas, it was not to be and we limp in to make par.

Team B also makes par on # 2 . Johnathon hits his tee shot in the trees, Barry hits his down the middle and Dan tests that cart path! Pete and Jay are about the same length and Pete’s drive is used at about 220 from the green. Nobody could convert the second shot, but Barry makes a nice chip on the 3rd shot to get within 10 feet of the hole. As with Team A, nobody can birdie here, and it’s a par for team B.

Hole #3- 96 yd. Par 3 over water

This is the front side “closest to the pin” hole.
It’s a cute little hole and Babe and Vic both smack it easily on the green. Dominic is on the fringe. J.P.’s ball is wet. We use my drive and miss the birdie op for yet another Par. Since I am ineligible for any prizes, we give Vic the “closest to the pin” honors here.

Team B is more fortunate than my team as Jays drive falls 8 feet from the hole. Pete’s ball is wet. However, Pete taps the ball for a birdie put and it looks short. However, the 45 mph wind actually pushes the ball into the cup (lol) ! Jay gets it “closest to the pin”.

Hole #4- 351 yd. Par 4

Vic KILLS the ball for Team A to just behind a bunker on the near right of the green. His tee shot is amazing at about 300 yards. However, we can’t use the shot since it’s behind a tree with no way out. J.P. saves us with a nice straight teee shot . Both Dominic and Babe miss the second shot into the bunker and we use J.P’s line again here. Once we chip on, Babe saves par for the team with a nice 10 footer.

Team B is on their game here, with ALL boys making excellent drives. Barry hits his 240, Dan 250, Johnathon 280, and Pete and Jay both over 300.
WOW.! Now, with 40 mph wind behind him, Pete chips it on to wihin 10 feet of the hole. Johnathon sinks it for his first birdie putt!. WTG boys.

Hole #5- 340 yd. Par 4

Gail force winds are in our face on this one. The wind must be close to 45 mph here. This should be a good hole for all !

Vic’s drive is aimed East to West to compensate for the wind. However, his ball goes West to East (LOL). It was hilarious to watch the laws of physics being denied on this shot. Oh wait, could he have misjudged his setup? The shot ends up in the bunder and Dom also goes into a sandy grave. J.P. loses his ball ( Hey, what is Dan doing driving around here?). Needless to say, the Babe has to save her boys and we use my nice drive that gets within 100 yds of the green. J.P. chips it on and we all proceed to miss a 10 foot birdie putt. Is that hole actually moving? Routine par for Team A.

Team B scatters their tee shots all over the course on this one. Jay hits a low roller and it’s ugly but still the best of the bunch. After numerous attempts to get on in 2, the B team comes up short. Dan actually picks up his ball in disgust. Oh wait, does his ball have a “Bellagio logo on it” or is that the lost ball that J.P. is looking for? Indeed, it was. J.P. now has Dan’s ball and vice versa. Team B’s Barry Tanenbaum is not at all confused about where his ball is, and he sinks a nice 9 foot putt to save par.

Hole #6 – 161 yd. Par 3

Team A’s balls all come up SHORT except for J.P.’s which falls nicely on the green about 20 feet from the pin. We par the hole after 2 putting it. Vic names our team “Pars are Us”.

Team B’s Dan crushes it over the green, Barry duffs one way short, Peter finds the trees and Jay must rescue his boys buy just missing the sand onto the green. After lipping the cup 3 times, Team B taps it in for par.

Hole #7 – 363 yd. Par 4

Team A can’t find a swing. It’s ugly and we make our first bogey of the day. We are now on “Golf TILT”.

Team B’s Pete rips one down the middle as the rest of the team huddles around the beer cart. Jonathon hits his shot of the day after taking a bite of a sandwich. Dan now hits a beauty as well. Barry , Jay and Pete now take a nap and let Jonathon and Dan finish up for a par.

Hole #8 – 416 yd. Par 4

The A team recovers from golf tilt to go back to their “routine par” status. Dom hits a stunning shot on from 215 here and we applaud his efforts.

Team B’s Dan tops his drive a huge 30 feet. Barry hits it high and short and Pete comes out like Tiger. Barry puts it on the green from 170 and after puts going left, right and OFF the green, Team B makes a BIRDIE putt by Pete.

Hole #9- 438 yd. Par 4.

This is the designated “long drive” hole for the front side.

Dominic knocks the heck out of this one. He wins longest drive in 9 at just about 300 yards. If the wind was not blowing 265 mph, he might have driven the green here. Babe makes the FIRST birdie putt of the day. It only took us 9 holes to get a birdie. Now we are ready to take on Team B.

Unfortunately, Team B also makes birdie, and we end the front side as follows: Team A = 36, Team B= 31

PokerBabe(aka)
06-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Part 2- Back Nine will be posted later today (Sunday 19th June).

Dominic
06-19-2005, 02:09 PM
I was there and I had a blast! Lots of fun had by all....the wind was ridiculous...I swear on a few shots a ball was hit and was blown BACKWARDS in our face.

The powder blue hats were appropriately goofy looking.

Babe can really play some golf.

Barry, apparently, can not. But he did listen patiently to a poker hand I had played and needed some feedback on.

Babe's hubby is too good at golf and I suspect he is just as good at poker - as he had a great bluff on the turn when he told Team A that Team B was 8 under!

Anyway...thanks to Babe and all the participants - it was great fun.

PokerBabe(aka)
06-19-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi Dominic,

I am really glad you don't look like your avitar /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Dominic is an excellent golfer boys, so I will be sure to put him on my team next year as well.

That was really funny when Pete bluffed us on his team's front 9 score. I was hoping it was a bluff, but it wasn't far off. I thought both teams played extremely well considering that WIND.

Part 2 results - Back Nine will be done in 2 hours.

LGPG

Babe. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

PokerBabe(aka)
06-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Babe’s Best Boys Golf Tournament Results -05 - Back Nine

As we made the turn to begin #10 Dominic ran back to the green on #9 to get a score from Team B. Pete said that Team B was 8 under (lol). Dominic, looking a bit pale, asked me if Pete was kidding about that score. I said I didn’t think it was far off. And it wasn’t – Team B was 5 under and we were Even after 9. Heck, in that wind, this was DARN good, and maybe Team B would fall apart on the backside.

Hole #10 – 396 yd. Par 4.

We knew we had to scramble if we were going to catch Team B, so my team all hit very good drives on #10. Dominic’s drive was outstanding so we used his. A great chip by Vic and we are within birdie range. It’s incredible, but we ALL missed that putt and so we started the back with a par.

Team B also made par. Apparently Babe’s hubby was awesome on this one.

Hole #11 - 311 yd. Par 4

Babe’s team pars this hole with a fabulous drive by Vic followed by J.P.s great chip. Two putts later we are at par again. (sigh.).

Team B doesn’t accept par. Barry Tanenbaum hits a beauty off the tee with hurricane force winds in his face. Jonathon gets it on and Dan taps in for a BIRDIE (uh oh- they’re back to that birdie golf).

Hole #12 – 109 yd. Par 3.

This was the “closest to the pin” hole on the back 9.

Team A pars it with Dominic getting closest, but Team B makes birdie (AGAIN) after Jay sinks Dan’s exceptional tee shot.

Hole # 13- 430 yd. Par 5

AT LAST my team kicks some butt as we birdie this par 5. Go Boys!! Vic absolutely creams his drive and J.P. hits a nice 2nd shot. Dominic gets it on in 3. Your very own Babe makes the birdie putt (go Babe, go). Wooo hooo.!

Team B sees a very nice drive by Barry T and a great lay up by Dan. However, with Jay still to hit his second shot, Pete tells him to “go for the green” and he gets it on about 9 feet from the hole for the team’s eagle op. 4 of 4 miss that eagle putt and it’s just another birdie for Team B. Are these guys good or what?

Hole # 14 395 yd. Par 4.

Team A doesn’t make headway here as winds of over 800 mph stifle our attempts to birdie another hole.

This was a scary moment for Team B with all boys hitting their drives pretty poorly. Petes was the best of the worst. All team members were way short on their second shots , but a legitimate up and down gets B a par here.

Hole #15- 433 yd. Par 5.

HIGHLIGHT of the day as Babe’s team makes EAGLE. Vic gets up first and drives one into Sigfried and Roy’s Tiger pen (across the street from this hole). After an amazing drive by Dominic, J.P. rips one PAST his. Dominic can’t belive it. J.P. is DOUBLE Dominic’s age after all. Dominic writes down J.P.’s name on the tournament marker and next to it writes, “no, really”!! Dominic was not the same after this humbling experience. I have to brag about Vics 2nd shot here which was 4 feet from the hole. He hit this one “stiff”. Babe makes the eagle putt and we LGPG INDEED.!

Team B only makes birdie so I am not giving them any comments here (lol).

Hole #16- 354 yd. Par 4.

Common Par for Team A here and yet another BIRDIE for Team B. Apparently, Babe’s hubby saved his team on this one with a killer drive.!

Hole #17- 187 yd. Par 3

Both Teams par this one with Babe of NO help to her boys here.!

Hole #18 – 382 yd. Par 4

AT LAST, it’s the last hole. Everyone is a bit weary from the wind and we are getting hungry as well. I am anticipating a nice burger and fries and am motivated to play this last hole fast (and well). I needed to use one more drive for the team so I had to hit a good one. And I did. A good second shot by Dominic and J.P. finishes it up with a nice chip followed by a good putt by Vic. We end the round with a par and leave the backside with a solid 33.

Not to be denied is Team B. There was NO possibility of them losing it here. Every drive was a good one and Jay knocks it ON in 2. However, nobody could convert that final putt for bird and Team B finishes with Par. Tenacious, aren’t they? Final score for Team B on the back was 31.

For 18, Team A shot 69 (3 under)

Team B wins it with a 62 (10 under).

We all went inside for more photos and FOOD. Prizes were awarded to ALL boys but the big winner of the day was Dominic, who had both a close to the pin and long drive win. Jay had a close to the pin and J.P. won for long drive on the back 9. Some of the prizes were gloves, golf balls, books, and starbucks gift cards. Everyone also got their very own WSOP merchandise along with the traditional BBB's golf cap.

KUDOS TO ALL BOYS FOR A GREAT EVENT. You are all invited back next year.

As always,

LGPG

/images/graemlins/heart.gifBabe

Phat Mack
06-19-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, a few boys were not thinking about their “overall look” and failed to color coordinate their outfits with the caps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet you allowed the match to proceed. You are to be commended.

M2d
06-20-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Vic gets up first and drives one into Sigfried and Roy’s Tiger pen (across the street from this hole).

[/ QUOTE ]
play it as it lies!!

I've got to make it for one of these. it sounds like a blast.

PokerBabe(aka)
06-21-2005, 12:22 AM
M2d

You are certainly invited to join us next year for the 3rd annual BBB Golf tournament. I am sure you will be color coodinated for the event. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Miss ya,

Babe /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Abe
06-21-2005, 01:20 AM
Thanks to PokerBabe for a great event!

I was shocked to see a player from the previous group drive up and take my ball. Midwest golfers don't do that. But then I realized, Oh Yeah - he's a Mirage Day Shift player.

PINK hats next year ???

PokerBabe(aka)
06-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Hi Abe (aka Dan),

I was happy you made the tournament this year and I will expect you back with your pink hat next year (lol).

As far as the missing/confused ball issue, I think YOU hit J.P.s ball and not the other way around. /images/graemlins/confused.gif
But, heck, what can we expect from a midwest guy that doesn't play dayshift at Mirage /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LGPG

/images/graemlins/heart.gif