PDA

View Full Version : lagging mouse issues

fluorescenthippo
06-19-2005, 05:45 AM
My mouse lags in Windows and when i play games. basically, when i move my mouse fast in one direction, the cursor takes longer to get there than my hand. im talking like a few miliseconds here. most people wouldnt even notice it. in fact, i bet a lot of people have this problem and dont even notice it because its so slight.

anyways, my friend who is a really good counterstrike player, noticed this instantly on my computer while playing counterstrike. but we are having troubles fixing it. my mouse works fine on his computer, his mouse lags on my computer. so its probably my computer hardware or drivers that is the problem.

i have a logitech mx500(usb,nonwireless). i have tried installing logitech drivers and windows drivers and both dont help it. i have had this mouse on 3 different computers. one decent computer, one crappy one, and one pimped out one. i had have this lag issue on all but the crappy computer. i did a fresh install of windows xp pro corp a week ago.

im pretty sure its hardware related based upon this information. maybe a usb port problem? a chipset problem?(i installed latest chipset drivers) i just got a new shuttle pc a week ago and today i installed counterstrike only to realized i still have this stupid lag issue on my top of the line computer.

any suggestions would be great

TStoneMBD
06-19-2005, 06:04 AM
it probably has to do with you using up too many system resources. press cntrlaltdel next time your mouse runs slower than usual and see how many much system resource your computer is using.

my mouse lags pretty bad sometimes when im using up 100% system resources. really bad. so there might be a direct connection between the two.

just my guess.

fluorescenthippo
06-19-2005, 06:09 AM
it always lags. as soon as i turn on my computer.
its not like i open a bunch of programs and it slows down, its just a constant delay of a few miliseconds thats always there regardless

BluffTHIS!
06-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Run msconfig from the run command and see what programs are loaded at startup. Even though the full applications may not be running, many might be there to pre-launch, which you can clean up. Also you should, if you have not already done so, run Adaware, Spybot or whatever type programs you have to make sure you don't have another problem. I assume of course you are running XP and not 98/ME on an older system with low memory resources to begin with, or that also could be a factor. Finally, have you taken apart your mouse and cleaned it lately? If it's gummed up it might be a mechanical friction problem.

fluorescenthippo
06-19-2005, 06:53 AM
i tried this and it doesnt help. ive this problem since the minute windows xp was installed on my computer. its also not the mouse itself because i tried swapping mice with my friend

BluffTHIS!
06-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Then have you tried re-installing the mouse driver? If that doesn't do it, and you don't have some spyware hogging resources, then maybe you have some bad memory or need more, although you didn't give your processor and memory specs.