PDA

View Full Version : black and white vs. color

Chris Daddy Cool
06-19-2005, 04:56 AM
season one of bewtiched the tv show is coming out on dvd t his tuesday, but it has an interesting option. you can either purchase it in the orginal black and white or a remastered full colored version.

which one should i get?

also that got me to think, how would having the older black and white movies remastered and colorized make you feel? like imagine if citizen kane or its a wonderful life redone in color, would it be better? or would it detract from the original feel of the movie? one would instinctively feel that color is better, but thats not always the case of course, but what are some benefits of one form over the other?

and other comments on this subject.

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-19-2005, 05:01 AM
I don't really know about for a TV show, but for movies like that I imagine you'd have to get them in black and white because color is a big consideration a director has to take into account when creating a scene. Just using the first example that popped into my head, think of Wes Anderson's use of the color blue in the suicide scene in The Royal Tenenbaums. It plays a large factor and it is obviously something a man like Welles' would consider important.

TStoneMBD
06-19-2005, 05:02 AM
its basically a preference in whether you prefer blondes or brunettes.

gorie
06-19-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its basically a preference in whether you prefer blondes or brunettes.

[/ QUOTE ]
this makes no sense.

TStoneMBD
06-19-2005, 09:05 AM
it makes sense to me and thats all that matters.

gorie
06-19-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it makes sense to me and thats all that matters.

[/ QUOTE ]
ok /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sheepscot
06-19-2005, 09:15 AM
it's interesting to see what it would be like in color, but if I was going to buy it, I'd want it like it was originally shown.

Cry Me A River
06-19-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

also that got me to think, how would having the older black and white movies remastered and colorized make you feel? like imagine if citizen kane or its a wonderful life redone in color, would it be better? or would it detract from the original feel of the movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you post like this wasn't already a 20 year old controversy: Colorization (http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/C/htmlC/colorization/colorization.htm)

IMHO, the only thing worse than colorization is Pan&Scan.

pryor15
06-19-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you can either purchase it in the orginal black and white or a remastered full colored version.

which one should i get?

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that you even asked hurts my soul more than you can imagine

kerssens
06-19-2005, 08:00 PM
The first question I remember asking my mom is..."did people a long time ago see in black and white?" see, at the time I was 4 and retarded.

Alobar
06-19-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

also that got me to think, how would having the older black and white movies remastered and colorized make you feel? like imagine if citizen kane or its a wonderful life redone in color, would it be better? or would it detract from the original feel of the movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you post like this wasn't already a 20 year old controversy: Colorization (http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/C/htmlC/colorization/colorization.htm)

IMHO, the only thing worse than colorization is Pan&Scan.

[/ QUOTE ]

while pan&scan is ineed bad, it is nowhere near as awful as colorization.

To the OP, if you buy the colorized version, you really have no business buying either one of them.

Lazymeatball
06-19-2005, 09:18 PM
So are the early seasons of Bewitched some sort of Cinematic Masterpiece, an interesting slice of nostalgiac Americana, funny enough in it's own right, or just some hype now that Will Ferrel and Nicole Kidman are making that movie?

Sponger15SB
06-19-2005, 09:27 PM
I'd get the color version of Bewitched, unless of course you're watching the show for its cinematography.

Which would just be stupid.

Also, unless you've been obsessed with this show since you were a child, I change my vote in this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=2549147&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=DVD&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Mai n=2549147&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=7821&date range=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=& bodyprev=#Post2549147) too no.